Need to stop losing weight and maintain - HELP

Options
2»

Replies

• suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Every person has different calorific needs. So what you can do is slowly increase your calories by 50-100 per week, you might see an initial gain(which will be water weight), but it will go away in few days. Keep increasing this till you stop losing weight! That should be your maintenance.
    I am 5'5, 29 years old female. I think my maintenance would be somewhere around 1700(plus i eat back my exercise calories)

Good luck!
  • stephenson2012
    stephenson2012 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I am also having an issue about maintaining my weight. I have lost another 6 pounds. I have upped my calories, however, I have been hypothyroid since my early twenties. In loosing the weight, I am now hyperthyroid. MY heart rate is elevated and other symptoms which I believe is the additional weight lost. So I am working with my doctor to lower my medication. I am hoping today's blood test shows I am back in the normal range.
  • FFJR
    FFJR Posts: 19
    Options
  • KarenNFiske
    Options
    I can't seem to even to get up to 900 calories a day.. My goal calorie net is set at 1200 but I am done losing weight.. which means my calories NEED to go up to 1790 a day.. I just don't see a way to get there.. I get so full from eating all the things I normally eat which is only about 700 calories.. I could add chocolate and other bad things to get the calories up but I don't want to do that... And I'm pretty sure if I ate anywhere close to 1700 calories I would gain a few pounds a week..
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I can't seem to even to get up to 900 calories a day.. My goal calorie net is set at 1200 but I am done losing weight.. which means my calories NEED to go up to 1790 a day.. I just don't see a way to get there.. I get so full from eating all the things I normally eat which is only about 700 calories.. I could add chocolate and other bad things to get the calories up but I don't want to do that... And I'm pretty sure if I ate anywhere close to 1700 calories I would gain a few pounds a week..
    900? please eat. Change what you are eating to the full fat or calorie versions. eat some nuts.

and food isn't "bad"

chocolate is fine to have.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    900? please eat. Change what you are eating to the full fat or calorie versions. eat some nuts.

and food isn't "bad"

chocolate is fine to have.

I'd argue that a diet that includes enough calories and has chocolate and other "bad" foods (no such thing imo anyway) is healthier than a 900 calorie diet of nothing but "health" food.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

This does not sound healthy at all. I would encourage you to relook at the foods in your diet, and be sure you are getting enough calories and nutrition. Gradually add in higher calorie, nutritious foods, and up your calories over time. You are at the end of a significant weight loss - this is the time be be upping calories and finding your maintenance range. If you're having trouble getting over 700, you may want to consider seeking help.
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Eat regular food .. Full Fat Dairy, nuts, starchy veggies, etc. .... Ditch the non-fat, fake diet food ...
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    You need to eat purposely. Eat to be healthy, not satisfied. Pre-log your plan, stop feeling rewarded for coming under your calories and start planning your day with nutrition goals. Exceed your protein goals, exceed your iron goals, exceed your vitamin C, whatever. Your goals need to change, but your original plan does not. You want to look healthy and sexy, go for it!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    If you legitimately ate only 700 calories, and lost a significant amount of weight rapidly, good luck not regaining most or all the weight back when upping calories.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    you are eating and apple and pb for dinner, 600 calories for the whole day? Looks like severe restriction, get some counseling.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options

Not good. The bold part of your post is key. I suggest you talk to a professional about this, since you are eating way under your maintenance calories.

Chocolate is not bad. NO foods are good or bad.If you've lost all that weight in a healthy manner then you know it's all about moderation.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I wish I had your problem! Any time I eat more than 1200 calories my weight goes up. I detest eating 1200 calories because I feel it is too little but when I consume more it is a definite increase in weight for me.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    If you legitimately ate only 700 calories, and lost a significant amount of weight rapidly, good luck not regaining most or all the weight back when upping calories.

Way to go to reinforce disordered thinking.
    The person already fears gaining a few pounds a week at 1700 cals and you state basically, yup you gonna gain that back. That's not only not necessary but false.

Raise you calories slowly, work out the fear. Remember that you need 3500 extra cals to gain about a lb of fat and that any initial gains as you slowly up the calories are due to water retention around carb loading. It will settle down in a few days.
    At 700 constantly, if you are at your target weight you risk nutritional deficiencies. If you have strong fears of gaining weight even at the thought of raising your calories a little go see someone, that is a big red flag on an eating disorder.