Calories burned on a treadmill

2»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member

?? I just bought a Polarft4 HRM for this very reason as others told me it would give me the most accurate amount of Calories burned?? :indifferent: Isn't the point of the heart rate monitor is to gauge by how hard your heart is working???

Heart rate does not equal calories burned. But I've spent 2 years trying to get people to stop spreading that falsehood on this site so it's someone else's turn.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    It is like anything else finding something that works the best for each individual, I personally do not do cardio without my HRM (Polar FT60) and have used it to figure out my calories burned... I use the MFP approach (over TDEE) to weightloss so I eat back my calories burned and had to experiment early on and find what percentage works best to allow me to lose. I found that I can eat back 85% of those calories burned. And doing this process has allowed me to lose a few hundred pounds. So I am not writing off the heart rate monitor, it is like everything else, a tool.
  • I've been told if you cut the total amount of calories burned on any cardio equipment in half, that is a more accurate amount burned. Either way, good for you for doing 60 minutes of cardio a day! Depending on what your goals are and how your diet is, I would think with that much cardio, you have dropped a few pounds already. Keep up the good work!
  • TigerBite
    TigerBite Posts: 611 Member
    You also have to find a way to factor in the incline ... just sayin' ...
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,866 Member
    I use an HRM, which may or may not be accurate.

For what it is worth, the dietician on my "nutrition for diabetics" course said that 300 kcals per hour was a good ballpark figure for walking at a moderate pace for an overweight person. That's about what the app runtastic gives me when I track outdoor walks.