Post Runs to Facebook?

Options
iheartbiology
iheartbiology Posts: 104 Member
Hi all,

I have a cousin who posts her runs everyday to facebook. I go back and forth between being annoyed and wanting to run exactly 1 mile farther each day and post as well.
Do you post your runs? Why/why not?
Should I begin "one-upping" her each day?

Replies

• heylookitsval
    heylookitsval Posts: 1,141 Member
    Options
    No, but I'm that annoying girl that checks in at the gym...mostly because I have a competition with a friend.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Facebook is about gloating how amazing you and your life are, so it makes sense.
  • iheartbiology
    Options
    Competition is good. Maybe I should start...
  • iheartbiology
    Options
    Tru dat. She and her life are pretty amazing...
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I post my 5K's about 5 times a year, I don't want to rub running in their faces; when very few people have the willpower or motivation to run.
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I can't stand people who constantly post their exercise routine on Facebook or Twitter. Especially when it's the same thing every day. "Gym time!" "Ran 3 miles today!" "Ran 4 miles today!" "Ran 5 miles today!" Likee we get it; you're running and exercising. I understand maybe making statuses once you reach big goals you had for yourself,like running a 5k or a marathon or something of the sort, but people who continually make statuses about their workouts get on my nerves to be honest. I work out too; I just don't feel the need to share it with the world. OP, it'd be funny if for about a week you did that, posting your status as soon as she posts hers, just to prove a point. :laugh:
  • drgardnerva01
    drgardnerva01 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I post my 5K's, but partly to boast and partly so I don't feel inadequate among my friends running marathons and fifty-milers.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    my nike+ is linked to my facebook so it updates after every workout. most of of my friends (actually all ) are people i know offline and they tend to be active so i doubt anyone's being a hater about it. besides that's it's not like i'm putting up huge numbers either :laugh: i try to get in 8-10 miles a week for now
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    I don't dare post my workouts to Facebook. People there already think I'm a little off... they don't need to know just how far off I really am :laugh:
  • BrunetteRunner87
    BrunetteRunner87 Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Facebook is about gloating how amazing you and your life are, so it makes sense.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    :yawn:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    No.

Once in a while if I do some awesome workout at the gym I will post that but typically I really don't.

No one cares for one and it's annoying for 2.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Persoanlly, one-upping doesn't make any sense to me. I do me and other people do themselves. I really don't care if I do something more or better than other people as long as I know I'm doing my best. But if doing better than her and posting it is motivation for YOU to kick butt then go for it! competition can be fun and motivating.
    I personally don't post any weight loss/exercise stuff on my facebook because this is a very private thing for me. I'm a private person and I don't like sharing my business with others. I know some people who post it because having everybody see it makes them feel pressured to keep it up. Maybe it's easier for her to stick with her goals if she does that. Perhaps it makes her feel accountable if others see her effort? I don't mind seeing people do it. It makes me feel happy for them that they are sticking with something so good for them.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options

This.
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Only the nekkid trail runs.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I used to use Mapmyfitness and it posted all my runs to facebook. Sometimes I would also post pics of scenic routes or selfies after reaching milestones (distance, speed, etc.) I guess some people could find this annoying, but then again anyone that would ,is not really my friend to begin with. A friend would be happy that I am taking my health/fitness seriously, especially since I wasn't always as active. And some of those same friends who need to get active themselves could see what I'm doing and say they can do it too. Just like MFP is about accountability, so is posting your workouts on FB, especially since the audience are people who truly know you. When I'm feeling unmotivated I see some of my friends post their runs and it makes me want to get off the couch and vice versa or like the OP it can bring out that competitive side and make you want to one up or at least match some of the other runner friends. I have switched to Nike Plus and I haven't linked it to FB yet, but I will. I come on MFP forums ever so often, but I check FB everyday. When I see friends who give post runs and give updates for their training, from triathlons, marathons to 5Ks, it is inspirational to me, especially knowing these are regular people with jobs and families who are making it happen.
  • iheartbiology
    Options
    Her posts fall under motivation for me. We're a very competitive family, so her post have only gotten other cousins off their butts too. I'm just next in line...
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I post my runs, because some of my friends are also runners, and we encourage each other.
  • sarahevenstar
    sarahevenstar Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Usually, no. But recently, I set a goal to meet a certain mileage by the end of the year and it's going to be really close if I make it or not. So every time I run, I post my total for the year and my friends have been really supportive in cheering me on and motivating me to make that goal. Once I have made it, I will stop and go back to only posting milestones.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    I log my workouts on endomondo and when I started I chose to post them to facebook. At one point I almost changed the settings so they wouldn't do that, because I thought it might be annoying to people.

But then I realized I didn't really care if they found my workout posts annoying.