SAHM of 3-obese and diabetic to boot

Options
I'm 207 today. In one week I managed to eat in 8 lbs. I want to change. I'm scared of change, and feel like I will fail. But I see so much hope floating on this site. Lifes not all down and eeyore-ish, but it sure seems to get there quick when I start restricting myself. :/ I am 31 and a type 2 diabetic. I need help and suggestions. Biggest thing staring in my face: I hate breakfast. Like, I gag. I popped in my first walk 2 miles dvd and really feel like I can keep it up:D I look forward to meeting people on here.

Replies

• lafilledelarue
    lafilledelarue Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Good for you for taking that first step. It's not easy to muster up the courage to do so. Just take it one day at a time. :-)
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    If you give support you can add me. I have been on here a while and lack that. This seems to help keep me motivated.
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    WELCOME!
    You may fear change and failure, but the only true failure is not trying.
    Sure you may have bad days, you will feel like quitting at times, but then you'll look at your own post.
    You Want this for you, your health, to be there for your kids. That is worth so much more than having that cookie.

Many say to start with a good breakfast but if you can't eat that early, you can't.

Congrats on the walk! One day at a time. One step at a time.

Add me if you'd like friends

Nancy
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You've already done the hard part. You've taken the first step. I'm 5 weeks in, and it's been a bit of a struggle. But you know what, I found some exercises I really like. I joined a gym, found I love the elliptical / arc trainer and hate the treadmill. I love tennis and biking, so I'm doing those. And I've found some free Zumba classes to take, and they're amazing. So, find some things you actually enjoy doing and always have good music with you. That makes it fun! I look forward to exercise now - I can't believe I'm saying this.

As for food, that's harder for me. It's not that I'm so tempted by the "bad" stuff, but I'm a super picky eater, so it's taken some trial and error and effort to figure out what to eat. I love this site because when you enter your food in, you see whether it's good or not. Some things I've been eating are so high in sodium, now I'm staying away from them. Just know at first it won't all be perfect, but this site gives great support and information.

I'm pre-diabetic, by the way, and I was told if I lose 10 - 15 lbs., I may be able to reverse it. My major goal right now, besides losing weight, is to walk into my doc's office in 3 more months for bloodwork and for him to be impressed at my effort and tell me I won't have to go on meds. I also have a diabetic friend on here who is advising me on what to eat, and that has been very helpful.

If you feel discouraged or like you might fail, just look at the nice and normal people on here who have actually made it happen. I find that so inspiring. And think about what is discouraging you and what your goals are. Even put pictures up of what you want to look like. Also, have a "goal" piece of clothing. I got the wrong size jeans a year ago somehow, and I never returned them. They're a 14. I can't wait until they fit and my money wasn't for waste.

I find the encouragement from others on this site and the people i know in real life to be immensely motivating as well. And as you do things you never though you could, you'll feel proud of yourself. I just got my bike fixed today and took a ride. Because I've been working hard at the gym, I went 10 miles without barely a sweat. I couldn't believe it! Two months ago, I could have never dreamed I'd be able to bike 10 miles like that. And I couldn't believe / still can't believe how easy it seemed.

So, when you see progress, that's also motivating.

Feel free to friend me! I'd be happy to be your partner in this journey!

Jen :)
  • jensiegel39
    jensiegel39 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Oh, believe me, I feel you about the breakfast thing. I'm the same way. I gag. So, I don't eat for a bit. I just can't bring myself to. And I eat light. I know I should eat more calories at breakfast, but it just doesn't work for me. Maybe eat a little something and then eat a mid-morning meal an hour or two later. I usually have a bowl of cereal or a yogurt and then fruit or a granola bar. It's as much as I can stomach so early...
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Sometimes it's helpful to start with a small change that feels realistic. If eating breakfast is too big of an obstacle, set that aside for now and put your energy toward something else - like the walking tape. That's a great idea, and often when we start to exercise regularly, it improves our mood and we find ourselves making other healthy choices. You're already finding a lot of encouragement here as well. ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you don't want breakfast, don't eat it. Lots of folks practicing intermittent fasting take their first meal at noon.

Welcome. :flowerforyou: Congratulations on your decision to be healthy.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,624 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

You can reverse Type 2 by reducing fat in your liver and pancreas. I've been instructed to stop my diabetes medication after losing enough weight.
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I'm 207 today. In one week I managed to eat in 8 lbs. I want to change. I'm scared of change, and feel like I will fail. But I see so much hope floating on this site. Lifes not all down and eeyore-ish, but it sure seems to get there quick when I start restricting myself. :/ I am 31 and a type 2 diabetic. I need help and suggestions. Biggest thing staring in my face: I hate breakfast. Like, I gag. I popped in my first walk 2 miles dvd and really feel like I can keep it up:D I look forward to meeting people on here.

YOU WILL DO IT

That's pretty much all I have to say - if you're here, you will succeed. It won't be losses every week (you may be the lucky one but pretty much everyone I know has fluctuations, especially me) - but keep logging, keep posting. As previous poster said - Intermittent Fasting may be the way for you (as long as it doesn't muss up your diabetes) - search the GROUPS section for Intermittent Fasting and have a read through their FAQs, don't have to eat breakfast in the morning, it means BREAK - FAST so whenever you start eating is breaking your overnight fast.

Good luck - I have also seen lots of people recover from health problems by losing weight and getting healthy - good luck :D
  • mzhrrs13
    mzhrrs13 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    You can do it! It is definitely a lifestyle change! Like you, I am Type 2 and was diagnosed in November 2010. (I was in denial!!) Finally made the appointment in January/February 2011 to see my doctor. Get this, he recommended MFP, along with diet, exercise and medication. I tried, quit. Joined other sites. Got involved. Got bored. Quit. Back on here again for like the 100th time, but this time, I plan on sticking with it. The hardest thing for me is consistency....Me and Consistency have nothing in common and it is hard for me and Consistency to get on the same page. So far, since I have been on here, I make it a point to at least meet Consistency half way by logging in each day.....:happy:

Feel free to add me! I have met lots of people with the same or similar goals that have been a great help and motivator for me!!!
  • spatulathumbs
    spatulathumbs Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    If breakfast makes you gag, then don't eat it. It's your body's way of telling you it's not ready for that yet. If it's just breakfast foods that do it—eggs, toast, etc—then consider eating other things for breakfast. But if it's anything before a certain time of day, then don't worry about it. Studies about skipping breakfast are so all over the place, just listen to your body.

Don't think about restricting yourself. Change is about making small choices over a long period of time. It's not about self-discipline or restraint or deprivation, it's about investing in yourself. Just like saving pocket change here and there adds up over time, so do good food and activity choices. You can do this.

Start with the familiar. What are your comfort foods? What do you default to eating when you are stressed, and why? Are you willing to try new foods? You may just want to start by logging everything, not changing how you eat, and going for walks a few times a week. See where that gets you after two weeks. Don't let the numbers get you down, think of them as information.