Cant get enough calories

Options
Hello, I am trying to lose weight and I have been tracking my meals. I am having a very hard time keeping my calories over 1,000 while trying to keep sugar, salt, carbs and fat where they should be. Looking for alternatives for more calories. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a protein shake a day after exercise? Also I am just starting to exercise so I don't want the protein shake to counter what I am trying to achive.

Replies

• Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    How are you not ridiculously hungry?

Don't try to micromanage every nutrient possible. You'll go crazy. Fat is essential and also higher in calories (per gram, compared to carbs or protein). There are plenty of healthy fatty foods like nuts and avocado. A couple spoonfuls of peanut butter can up your calorie intake very easily.
  • fattofit84
    Options
    How are you not ridiculously hungry?

Don't try to micromanage every nutrient possible. You'll go crazy. Fat is essential and also higher in calories (per gram, compared to carbs or protein). There are plenty of healthy fatty foods like nuts and avocado. A couple spoonfuls of peanut butter can up your calorie intake very easily.
    Great answer id say that as well go for 3 meals and 2 snacks and allow ur self more calorie dense food....doesnt have to be junk!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your macros, especially the sugar one because it lumps all sugars together. One piece of fruit will put you over.

Next, you are dangerously under eating. An adult male should be taking in at least 1800 calories a day for health and general organ function. Unless you goal is hair loss, brittle nails, malnourishment, dry skin and loss of muscle mass I'd recommend upping your calories.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    under 1,000? Take some advice.. eat more.. I ate that little.. unintentionally.. and ended up in the ER with vertigo, slurred speech, blurry vision, nausea and my blood pressure was jumping high then super low and my heart rate was in the low 30s.. You do not want to go through that.. it is not fun..

I watch protein, carbs and sugar. I eat as much high protein foods as I can and eat as little added sugars as I can. It can be hard to eat enough when you eat healthy foods, but i'm sure you need to almost double your intake to actually be at a healthy level. If you focus on the protein every meal, your other nutrients will fall into place pretty easily. The only one I struggle with is fat, because I don't like a lot of the fats that are out there. But avocados, peanut butter, olive oil.. all good.

I needed to eat 6 times a day initially in order to get myself to a healthy level of intake. Maybe you need to change your eating patterns too?

Protein shakes are a good place to start. I started with shakes for breakfast, just to get the calories in and now I don't have a huge issue getting to 1600 calories, with just regular food. Although I do use protein powder most days still. I lift, so I need the protein.
  • Justifier
    Options
    I just took a look at your diary. Stop logging generic things unless you've measured/weighed the serving in some way. Lately you've been logging a "serving" of turkey breast that is 34 calories. That's approximately one ounce of meat. I doubt you've been eating just one ounce.

If you are using the iPhone or Android app, you can use the barcode scanner to log foods from packaging.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hello, I am trying to lose weight and I have been tracking my meals. I am having a very hard time keeping my calories over 1,000 while trying to keep sugar, salt, carbs and fat where they should be. Looking for alternatives for more calories. Does anyone have any suggestions? I was thinking a protein shake a day after exercise? Also I am just starting to exercise so I don't want the protein shake to counter what I am trying to achive.

Where do you think sugar, salt, carbs and fat should be? What is your calorie goal?
  • kennyjames62
    Options
    I just took a look at your diary. Stop logging generic things unless you've measured/weighed the serving in some way. Lately you've been logging a "serving" of turkey breast that is 34 calories. That's approximately one ounce of meat. I doubt you've been eating just one ounce.

If you are using the iPhone or Android app, you can use the barcode scanner to log foods from packaging.

I have been measuring my foods visa vi measuring cups. I have been trying to do it without a scale. Today I purchased a scale, The turkey I measured out to be a half cup total. I have the adroid app on phone, this is how I was able to obtain some of the nutrient information on some of the foods I have been eating. Also I use the generic because Fresh turkey is just fresh turkey I am new to this and hope I can make sense of all this.....
  • Justifier
    Options

I have been measuring my foods visa vi measuring cups. I have been trying to do it without a scale. Today I purchased a scale, The turkey I measured out to be a half cup total. I have the adroid app on phone, this is how I was able to obtain some of the nutrient information on some of the foods I have been eating. Also I use the generic because Fresh turkey is just fresh turkey I am new to this and hope I can make sense of all this.....

You'll find that the MFP database is full of vague and incorrect entries. Always compare what you log to the actual nutrition facts label whenever possible. For fresh foods without labels, weigh them and find an entry that measures by grams or ounces. Like I said, the generic turkey entry you used just labels a "serving" without explaining what that really means. The half cup of turkey you ate is most certainly more than 34 calories, possibly even 4-5 times that. Use critical thinking to determine whether an entry seems correct or not. Use the USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list) to get an idea of what is right if you aren't sure.
  • kennyjames62
    Options

You'll find that the MFP database is full of vague and incorrect entries. Always compare what you log to the actual nutrition facts label whenever possible. For fresh foods without labels, weigh them and find an entry that measures by grams or ounces. Like I said, the generic turkey entry you used just labels a "serving" without explaining what that really means. The half cup of turkey you ate is most certainly more than 34 calories, possibly even 4-5 times that. Use critical thinking to determine whether an entry seems correct or not. Use the USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference (http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list) to get an idea of what is right if you aren't sure.

Thank you very much, I purchased the scale late yesterday and for poops and giggle I pulled out my fresh turkey and measured 1/2 cup like I did prior. Well it turns out you were correct, that was no where near 4 oz of turkey it more like 1.5 oz. I have to tell you this though. I wasn't happy to see this but I have to say I wasn't hungry nor did I feel drained eating only 1,000 calories. I do understand that is not where I should be at all. I will make the effort to increase my calories and find other choices to keep in tolerance. I am drinking my water like recommended and I do think this helps a lot. I have to admit I never feel hungry during the day at all even with the slight exercise I am doing.
  • Justifier
    Options

Thank you very much, I purchased the scale late yesterday and for poops and giggle I pulled out my fresh turkey and measured 1/2 cup like I did prior. Well it turns out you were correct, that was no where near 4 oz of turkey it more like 1.5 oz. I have to tell you this though. I wasn't happy to see this but I have to say I wasn't hungry nor did I feel drained eating only 1,000 calories. I do understand that is not where I should be at all. I will make the effort to increase my calories and find other choices to keep in tolerance. I am drinking my water like recommended and I do think this helps a lot. I have to admit I never feel hungry during the day at all even with the slight exercise I am doing.

Even though you don't feel hungry, that doesn't mean you don't need the calories. Your body may be compensating for your lack of calories by slowing down the metabolism to match your intake. Definitely not where you want to be.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    hunger pains are the most useless method of determining if you need more food or not.

It just means that IT"S TIME TO EAT... BECAUSE THIS IS WHEN WE REGULARLY EAT.

that's what it's doing- it's just nagging you. Those rumbling tummy's are like the small arms in "hunger" - and by small arms I mean like sling shots- and m and m's for ballistic's.