Straight Shooter, or Nice Guy/Girl?

Options
If someone spells something incorrectly, habitually, are you the kind of person who believes that it is nicer to tell them about the error so that they will correct it, or do you leave it alone, believing it to be rude to call it out?

I tend to feel like this situation is a "mustard stain scenario." Wherein, someone has a mustard stain on their clothing that they have not noticed and you must decide whether it is prudent to tell them about the stain, or let them just go through the day, blissfully unaware, until they take their shirt off in mortified thought about who may have seen the stain during the day.

So, are you the type of person who corrects, or points it out (nicely and respectfully), or do you just leave it alone?

Replies

• ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    I would say something. I would hope someone would correct me when I am wrong about something so I won't make the same mistake.
  • SerenaFisher
    SerenaFisher Posts: 2,170 Member
    Options
    What about the person that points and laughs?

Every situation is different. I would be lying if I said I always do one or the other.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Ignore. People are imperfect creatures.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Nope I would not point it out. Live & let live. Someone might be dyslexic or have some issues around sentence structures. Who knows? It's not the end of the world so long as you get the general gist of the conversation. :bigsmile:
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    What about the person that points and laughs?

Every situation is different. I would be lying if I said I always do one or the other.

Well, that person is management material! We'll need them to speak with Lumbergh.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Generalizations. you has them.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Mustard stain? Yes, I'd point it out. Spelling/grammar error? Unless it's on a resumé or something else equally important, I'd probably let it go.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I'm here for fun, not grammar school. On forums like this I just don't care. In the work place it's different. I'm smart enough to figure out what someone is saying if they spell a word incorrectly. No need wasting time worrying about spelling when I am more concerned with how to achieve the ultimate thigh gap.
  • Kowee84
    Kowee84 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    situation would decide if i said something or not.
    if i thought it would embarrass them by not saying it then yeah id tell them, discretly.. but i find my day goes longer and i stay a red tomato face if i know theres a 'mustard stain' because i know everyones noticing it to.. least if noone said anything you would have had a good day TILL THE MOMENT YOU REALISE lol and if you cant change a situation, why worry about it?
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough on the topic of informing people of things. I recently let a girl at a bus stop know that she'd tucked the back of her skirt into her tights. Turned out she was very glad I'd updated her on the fact :laugh:
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Funnily enough on the topic of informing people of things. I recently let a girl at a bus stop know that she'd tucked the back of her skirt into her tights. Turned out she was very glad I'd updated her on the fact :laugh:

I thought we were gonna keep that between us :embarassed:
  • anro86
    anro86 Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    hhmmm, I would have to know the person pretty well to feel comfortable correcting their spelling. For example, I wouldn't correct a random person that posts to a forum on their misspellings, but I would point it out to a co-worker, because I wouldn't want them to embarrass themselves... but if someone has mustard on their shirt I will usually point it out.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    I have every intention of being nice when I tell people but when I tell someone that they smell like B.O. or that their zipper is open, I tend to sound rather blunt....most people don't get that I'm just saying what I would want to be said to me in returne
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    If it's a personal note, email, facebook status, tweet, card, or letter...then I don't say anything!

If it is something that others will see, like a business letter, sign, resume, advertised item, announcement, invitation, etc...I DO say something.

ETA: In a forum like this, I rarely correct people but sometimes I just have to say something. If they talk about "eating at Chipolte with my neice wearing new high heals" and how they "love Cobani and Okios yogert helping them loose wait" I can't just sit idly by.
  • NightKeepr
    Options

I don't doubt that she was very appreciative of your intervention lol.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    It depends on the situation. If the person, is doing house work, then I don't a stain or two is going to bother that person, so I will not say a word. If that person is wrighting a paper for work or for school, then that is something else.

There is a difference between writing or spelling incorrectly for a status update vs an invite to a special party.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    Do for others as what you would like them do for you.

So, then...if the stain happened to you, what would you like them to do? Tell you or not?
  • NightKeepr
    Options
    Do for others as what you would like them do for you.

So, then...if the stain happened to you, what would you like them to do? Tell you or not?

Oh, if I misspell something, especially a word which I tend to misspell over and over, thus providing evidence that I really think it is spelled that way, I would be thankful for someone to correct me.

That goes for my fly being unzipped, mustard on my shirt, or any such embarrassment.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    Nice guys finish last. I'm not a nice guy. I'm assertive.
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I'd probably say something....or I might not.