Soups!!!

Options
mltdown
mltdown Posts: 311 Member
I am looking for anyone who has a good low sodium, low cal, low carb (low everything lol) soup recipe. I love soup, but it can be really unhealthy! I would love to have a good cabbage soup recipe :)
Thanks for all of your posts ahead of time!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Red Lentil & Tomato soup

100g Lentils
    1 large onion choppped
    1clove garlic crusshed
    1 vegatable stock cube
    1Carrot chopped
    1 can tomatoes

In a pan onoin crushed garlic and stock cube, enough water to cover them, and simmer

in a spearate pan place the lentils enough water to cover them, and simmer

When the lentils are cooked add to the first pan and blend add more water , seasoning as required.

Enjoy!

makes 3 servings 187 calories each! my whole family love this one .
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    bump for later..................yum!
  • foxylady8098
    Options
    The good part about making your own soup is that you can put as much or as little salt as you want. And soup is sooooo easy to make.

Try sea salt, that will give you the salty flavor, but less sodium.
  • sallyLunn
    Options
    Soup has to be the easiest thing in the world to make. If you start with a stock that is low or no sodium no fat, you can add veggies until the cows come home. Stay away from cream bases, tons of potatoes or pasta and fatty meats as ingredients, and you can just go to town.

Oh, and by the way, morganadk2, that Red Lentil and Tomato soup recipe looks easy and great. I can't wait to try it.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Cabbage Soup

One head of white cabbage chopped into rough squares
    4 stalks of celery chopped
    1 green pepper chopped
    1 onion chopped
    1 TBS minced garlic
    1 can of low sodium diced tomatoes (or use fresh and add a can of low sodium tomato sauce)
    1 cup diced mushrooms

Toss all of this ina big ol' pot and simmer until the veggies are cooked. Tada! The veggies will create their own liquid to a point, but if you want you can add a cup of water to start. You can add salt and pepper to taste and change up the veggies for your own tastes, add carrots, corn, beans. Get rid of any you don't like. Pretty flexible recipe. If you want a bit of protien you can add in browned and scrambled lean ground beef or lean ground turkey or leave it veggies only.
  • mltdown
    mltdown Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Yum I can't wait to try both of them!! Thank you very much!!
  • paul100
    Options
    I make soups with all kinds of vegetable bits and pieces that need eating up in the fridge.

Just steam or boil until tender. Add stock (or water and a bit of seasoning) + any other kind of flavouring you like - all kinds of herbs and spices can work well - just experiment to see what you like.

You can either liquidize to get a smooth soup, or leave the vegetables in cubes for a bit of texture.

You can put as much or as little salt as you like. Salt is an partly aquired taste - if you're used to a lot of salt in your food, then things lacking salt will taste a bit bland, but if you progressively reduce the saltiness of your food then after a while it won't seem that way. (Of course we all need some salt in our diet - but many people take way too much - especially when most of their diet is pre-processed foods.)
  • RoadDog
    RoadDog Posts: 2,946 Member
    Options
    Carrot Soup with Crab

Ingredients
    2 1/2 tablespoons butter
    1 medium chopped onion
    1 pound sliced carrots
    1 large bay leaf (or 2 small)
    2 tablespoons white rice
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
    6 ounces shelled cooked Dungeness crab (from a 1 1/2 lb. crab)
    1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
    1 tablespoon minced chives, plus chopped chives for garnishing

Preparation
    1. In a 5-qt. pot over medium-high heat, melt butter. Add onion, carrots, bay leaf, white rice, salt, and black pepper. Cook, stirring, until onions are light golden, about 6 minutes. Add 5 cups water and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer 25 minutes. Remove bay leaf.

2. Garnish with Crab, chopped chives.
  • RoadDog
    Options
    Hot Avocado and Shrimp Soup

1 small onion, diced
    2 stalks celery, chopped fine
    4 cups chicken broth
    1 bay leaf
    4 sprigs parsley
    1 cup sour cream
    1/8 cup chopped chives
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    2 medium avocados, peeled, seeded, roughly chopped
    1/2 cup cooked small shrimp, shelled, de-veined

Place onion, celery, broth, bay leaf, parsley, salt & pepper in a large saucepan. Simmer for 15 minutes. Strain and reserve stock.

Place avocados in blender or food processor; puree avocados while slowly adding stock.

When mixture is smooth, return to saucepan and heat gently; add shrimp. Cook over low heat until heated thoroughly, do not boil.

Serve with a dollop of sour cream atop each serving, and sprinkle with chopped chives.

Garnish with a slice of Fresh Avocado and sprig of cilantro
  • RoadDog
    Options
    French Onion Soup

10 sweet onions (like Vidalia’s) or a combination of sweet and red onions
    3 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon salt
    2 cups white wine
    10 ounces canned beef consume
    10 ounces chicken broth
    4 ounces apple cider (unfiltered is best)
    1 Bottle Cider Beer
    Bouquet garnish; thyme sprigs, bay leaf and parsley
    1 loaf country style bread
    Kosher salt
    Ground black pepper
    Splash of Cognac (optional)
    1 cup Fontina or Gruyere cheese, grated

Trim the ends off each onion then slice from end to end. Remove peel and finely slice into half moon shapes. Set electric skillet to 300 degrees and add butter. Once butter has melted add a layer of onions and sprinkle with a little salt. Repeat layering onions and salt until all onions are in the skillet. Do not try stirring until onions have sweated down for 15 to 20 minutes. After that, stir occasionally until onions are dark mahogany and reduced to approximately 2 cups. This should take 45 minutes to 1 hour. Do not worry about burning.
    Add enough wine to cover the onions and turn heat to high, reducing the wine to a syrup consistency. Add consume, chicken broth, apple cider, beer and bouquet garnish. Reduce heat and simmer 15 to 20 minutes.
    Place oven rack in top 1/3 of oven and heat broiler.
    Cut country bread in rounds large enough to fit mouth of oven safe soup crocks. Place the slices on a baking sheet and place under broiler for 1 minute.
    Season soup mixture with salt, pepper and cognac. Ladle soup into crocks leaving one inch to the lip. Place bread round, toasted side down, on top of soup and top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    definitely bump
  • pines2palms
    Options
    Anyone with a healthy potato soup recipe???
  • Yarnpiggie
    Options
    Anyone with a healthy potato soup recipe???

I haven't tried it yet, but it is on my radar. It has pretty decent reviews so I am hoping for deliciousness.

http://www.eatbetteramerica.com/recipes/featured-brands/healthified-cheesy-potato-chowder.aspx