Stir fry ideas

Options
Chriss89
Chriss89 Posts: 15 Member
Anyone have some good stir fry recipes? I just seem to do the same old boring thing each time so any variety would be nice ! :)

Replies

• keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i do carrots, broccoli, spinach, peppers, onions, mushrooms, bean sprouts, garlic, onion powder with either tofu or seitan and shirataki noodles with either teryiaki sauce or sweet and sour sauce.
  • Chriss89
    Chriss89 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried one with tofu yet, how long would you stir fry it for? Does it go in at the end or need a little more time?
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I fry cauli, broc and carrots. Then I add some boiling water and cover till the water has evaporated. Then I add onions and mushrooms (if I have them!) spinach or cabbage (again if I have them).
    Sometimes I add beans, mung bean sprouts, snap peas and peppers (I always add my peppers last so they are still crisp). I then add cooked chicken to re-heat or egg.

I like to add seasamee seed oil, fish sauce and low sodium soy as my flavours. I also like sweet chili or maggie does a great garlic chili sauce. I eat mine with rice :)

My Dad used to make stirfry every week to use up the last of the stuff in the fridge - he used gravey mix last thing to make a sauce :)
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    "Velvet" your chicken! When you are preparing the chicken, cut it into bite sized pieces and coat it with a slurry of cornstarch and soy sauce (about 1-2 tsp cornstarch and 3T soy sauce per pound of chicken) and let it sit for about 15 minutes. This is will result in very tender, melt in your mouth chicken. It seriously makes a world of difference!

I like to make mushroom chicken. I'm not sure if its an authentic recipe, as I adapted it from a chinese chicken lettuce wrap recipe. Make a sauce of 2T soy sauce, 2T chicken stock, and 2T oyster sauce. Combine mushrooms, celery. Saute until mushrooms are cooked through and celery is tender. Add water chestnuts, the white parts of a scallion, and garlic. Continue to cook until garlic is fragrant (about 1 minute longer) Add 1lb velveted chicken and cook until just a little underdone. Whisk sauce to combine, add to pan and continue cooking until chicken is cooked through. Devour.
  • addean1
    addean1 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Mmmm stir fry! Try zucchini, yellow squash, bell peppers, broccoli, onions, water chesnuts, mushrooms, whatever protein you want, a bit of soy sauce, and I love a few slivered almonds, or some cashews thrown in, nice crunch.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    stirfry for me is usually a 'throw meat ang veg together with some noodles, leftover rice, and whatever is handy in the way of sauce' kinda deal. Usually though the sauces are miso/sesame, or a blend of soy, sesame oil, mirin and sake. Shirataki noodles for lower calorie or udon/soba for more filling.

not much help, sorry!
  • karlospiklington
    karlospiklington Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My standard vegetarian stir fry recipe is:

Approx 5 - 10 broccoli florets
    2-3 grated carrots
    A cup of frozen sweetcorn
    A cup of quorn chicken style pieces
    Sometimes a handful of sunflower/pumpkin/sesame seeds
    Amoy straight to wok fine thread noodles

I start off with a teaspoon of olive oil (I normally use fry light 1 cal spray for other meals but a stir fry never seems to work with that) and chuck the broccoli in with a good helping of Amoy dark soy sauce. Let that soften for a few minutes then add the grated carrot and let that soften. (Soy sauce and grated carrot were meant to be together.) I cook the quorn pieces and sweetcorn together in the microwave whilst the veggies are cooking then drain and add them when the broccoli is al dente after about 5 - 10 minutes. A splash more soy sauce to flavour the quorn and then I add the noodles. Heat it all through for a couple more minutes and add more soy sauce for your personal preference. Quite simple but I never get sick of it!

I guess you could add meat to this meal but I've never tried.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    My wife and I love this. Easy to make when all the ingredients are at hand.

Peking Pork Chops Recipe (Jing Du Pork)

Ingredients:

1 lb pork tenderloin or pork spare ribs, cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
    Oil for frying
    1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds, optional

Marinade:

1 egg
    1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1/2 teaspoon Shaoxing wine (a generic rice wine will do as well)
    1/2 teaspoon salt

Sauce:

1 1/2 tablespoons tomato ketchup
    1/2 tablespoon plum sauce
    1/2 tablespoon chili sauce
    1/4 teaspoon sweet bean sauce, or Hoisin sauce
    1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 1/2 tablespoons black vinegar
    1 1/2 tablespoons sugar (or less)
    small pinch of Chinese Five Spice powder, optional
    2 tablespoons water

Method:

1. Pound pork slices with mallet, or with the back of a kitchen knife until tender. Set aside. In a bowl, mix the Marinade ingredients, add in pork slices, mix well, and marinade for 30 minutes.

2. In a separate bowl, mix the Sauce ingredients. You may add more or less sugar, or other sauce ingredients to your own liking. Set sauce mixture aside.

3. Heat up a wok with enough oil, deep-fry pork slices for 5 minutes, or until color changes to golden brown and slightly crispy. Dish up, drain with paper towels and set aside.

4. Bring sauce to a quick boil, add deep-fried pork, and stir until all the meat is well coated with sauce. Dish up and sprinkle the pork chops with some toasted sesame seeds. Serve over a bowl of hot steamed rice.
  • CharityGC
    CharityGC Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Skinny Kitchen has a great one with nutrition info already calculated and it's in the MFP database. I've made it a couple of times and usually add some noodles.

http://www.skinnykitchen.com/recipes/chicken-and-veggies-stir-fry-low-calorie-and-super-yummy/
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    2 tbsp Olive Oil
    2-3 medium yellow squash
    2-3 medium zucchini
    1 sweet onion
    1 tbsp powdered ginger
    salt and pepper as desired
    1-1/2 cups Brown rice

Cook the brown rice in a standard rice cooker or in a pot on the stove top.

While the rice is cooking, cut the squash and zucchini into 4" strips. Also cut the onion into strips. In a large skillet heat the olive oil up. Then throw in the vegetables Stir fry until vegetables start to soften, but retain some crunch. Usually 15 minutes. Season with ginger, salt and pepper.

Plate the brown rice with the vegetables on top.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    bump
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I came up with a new recipe (orange-ginger stir fry) but haven't tried it yet. I like to make a LOT of food and freeze some for lazy days. You may have to reduce the ingredients if it's for one meal and you may need to increase or decrease the spices. It should be yummy though...

3 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast
    2 oz (or 4 Tbsp) orange juice
    3 cups low sodium chicken broth
    4 Tbsp brown sugar
    3 Tbsp cornstarch
    1 1/2 Tbsp ground ginger
    2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
    2 tsp garlic powder
    4 cups dry (8 cups cooked) white minute rice
    1 cup chopped broccoli
    1 cup chopped carrots
    1 cup mixed peppers
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 cup chopped onion

In large wok or skillet cook chicken on med-high heat until it is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan; set aside. Cook vegetables beginning with hardest and adding softer vegetables every couple of minutes. When vegetables are almost tender, add chicken back in as well as remaining ingredients. Cook, stirring constantly, until sauce thickens. Serve over rice.

*If freezing, just blanch the vegetables.

EDIT:: I do my cooking in a non-stick pan so you may need to add oil or butter or something.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Cabbage is awesome in stir fry--you can either finely chop it or use a coleslaw mix.

Here is a stir-fry I made up and eat all the time. Sesame oil and sesame seeds are the key to making it delicious:

Marinate tofu in soy sauce, ginger, and sambal olek (chili paste sauce). Broil in the oven until browned.
    Heat some sesame oil (smells soo good!) in a pan or wok, stir fry a massive amount of shredded cabbage and carrots (cook until heated, but still crisp).
    Add some sambal or sriracha. And more soy sauce (or whatever other flavor you like) life you want.
    Toss with several tablespoons of sesame seeds, and top with the tofu.

I like to broil my tofu in the oven instead of stir-frying it in the pan. That way, it gets crisp and browned instead of slimy and crumbly.
  • IzzyBooNZ1
    IzzyBooNZ1 Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    question : what kind of noodles do you think work best in stir fries? I am clueless. I don't mind carbs if that is of any relevance????
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I do chicken or beef cubes, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms, garlic, and hokkien noodles all with either a little soy sauce or Tsang's Korean BBQ sauce. Another good one is cabbage, snow peas, water chestnuts, grated carrot, sweet pepper strips, and right at the end toss in salmon chunks (they only take about a minute to cook) or shrimp -- sauce this one with lemon juice, a tiny bit of olive oil, and ginger.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend made me some stir-fry with eggplant instead of meat. It turned out great. I don't know the recipe, but I'm sure you can find something online.
  • ecanales52
    ecanales52 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bump.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    question : what kind of noodles do you think work best in stir fries? I am clueless. I don't mind carbs if that is of any relevance????

i prefer udon, hokkien, or yakisoba noodles myself :)
  • mslady28358
    mslady28358 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump:heart::smile: