Price of eggs

Options
I rarely look at the cost of the food I put in my cart, if I need something I get it. Tonight I picked up a dozen eggs. When the heck did they jump to $2.08?!?!?!? Is this the going price these days?:ohwell:

Replies

• jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live. I have a store called Aldi's that I go to, eggs are .69 cents a dozen. Milk was $1.99/gallon last time too :happy: Not every place has them though ... they're mostly in the southeast and midwest. The local grocery store has eggs for 1.48/dozen, and that's more than my broke butt is willing to pay!
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I live in Iowa-Aldi's is just down the street from me actually. This was at Hy-Vee though and I didn't fell like making the trip anywhere else at 5:30 at night. I really should get back into the day off shopping trip with a LIST and coupons in hand!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I bought a dozen normal (as in not free range / organic or anything else) eggs from the local SUPERMARKET the other day and it cost me $6.99.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I bought a dozen normal (as in not free range / organic or anything else) eggs from the local SUPERMARKET the other day and it cost me $6.99.

For that price, those eggs better cook themselves AND jump in your mouth by themselves. Holy crap!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Be glad you live on the continent. Eggs on my island at $4 a dozen, but being Canadian eggs, they apologized for the high price.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I think the price of most staple food items has risen. It's also highly annoying when you see all the frozen pizza/ready meals lining the freezers for £1-1.50 a pop. I'm not food bashing btw I just think it's a bit messed up.
  • dcr5452WECHANGED
    dcr5452WECHANGED Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I get all my eggs for free by contributing food that my friend gives to his hens for their feed. Any produce I have that is starting to turn- any scraps-apple peel carrot peel, onion ends etc.-all of it goes to them and the eggs are the best tasting I've ever had by far.
  • vwbug86
    vwbug86 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    In Western Ohio a dozen eggs will run you about $1.70 I pay a little over two for 1 1/2 dozen.
  • MyFoodGod
    MyFoodGod Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Still a better deal than a candy bar, beer, or other food vices.
  • tannyb
    tannyb Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Yep about $4 here in Canada. But everything costs a lot here.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'm a self confessed egg snob too. I go for the pastured eggs. You pay through the nose for them (5$ per dozen) but they are so good, and healthy. The yolks are bright orange!
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I have my own hens~9 of them. My eggs are free.
  • discoveredamber
    discoveredamber Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Here they are 2.89 for 18 eggs. About 1.98 for a dozen.
  • jigsaw_me
    jigsaw_me Posts: 616 Member
    Options

For that price, those eggs better cook themselves AND jump in your mouth by themselves. Holy crap!

That was my thoughts too - but unfortunately I REALLY NEEDED them that day. Normally I buy them "on special" at $3.99. (Still not cheap).
  • Stephanie198907
    Stephanie198907 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm a self confessed egg snob too. I go for the pastured eggs. You pay through the nose for them (5$ per dozen) but they are so good, and healthy. The yolks are bright orange!

this.

I pay $4.99 for the pastured raised eggs. They really do cook/taste better.
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    My local farm eggs are $5.50, but they are the best most delicious eggs. I will never buy grocery store eggs again.
  • CMB1979
    CMB1979 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I pay about $2.50 for 10 eggs and about $8/gallon for milk. Nothing is organic. But of course, I live in South Korea. "Free range" organic eggs are about $7 for 10 (if you can find them). Low-heat organic milk is about $16/gallon - but of course, nothing as large as a gallon is sold here.
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I only eat free range

around $3.50 per half dozen in NZ, so $2.86 US
  • VictoryGarden
    VictoryGarden Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I have a backyard flock of 10 hens, They're free range during the day, although this time of year there isn't much to forage here in WI. A 50# sack of feed is $15, which lasts 2 weeks. During that time I average 84 eggs. That's roughly 18 cents per egg, or $2.16 per dozen. not counting any other input costs such as coop bedding, lighting, electricity, egg cartons, or even the cost of the coop and raising the hens to a point where they start laying.

The coop itself was over $600 to build, so breaking even will take a long time.

I charge $2 per dozen, but will need to increase that with next year's chicks to $3 just to even think of breaking even..