Binge of sadness

Options
This has been one of the worse weeks of my life( From stress from university, my family, plus my boyfriend of more than a year has broken up with me and basically depression and unhappiness with myself in general). I've fell hard off my weightloss journey.
Everyday this week I've binged on chocolates and desserts. I feel unmotivated and depressed and seriously don't care about losing weight anymore. I know I should be losing weight for my health- for myself and not anybody else. But the more I go on, I see all these people treating me like I'm now a human being ( seriously like wasn't I a human being when I was bigger?) and I feel like I have to keep up with what society thinks is acceptable and beautiful which is to be skinny. I've went from 220 pounds to 140 pounds (well now from binging I've gained back about six pounds this week).
I feel so tired and alone and I don't know what to do but randomly write a post here so I could be heard... I'm hoping there's other who has been through something like this before and found a way to re-motivate themselves...

Replies

• Zborni4
    Zborni4 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Oh honey. This is not a good time and that is ok and understandable. With everything that has happened it is not surprising that you are turning to food , which for many people fills a void or gives the illusion of comfort. It is ok to accept that and then forgive yourself for it. However, if you are feeling that icky it might be good to go talk to a professional. A break up is a big life change that can be really hard to navigate through. Make sure you are taking care of yourself and try to do it without food. I've been there and even though it is hard, pushing myself outside to go for a walk, even if it was slow and labored, still helped my mood. Good luck and feel better.
  • matthewkinsd
    matthewkinsd Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what I can say to help but I know that I have a "get out of the house" and do something, anything solution. when bummed or even a little tired I just get my walking or running shoes and just go out, walking or running - I don't care. I find that this works for me. I've used it a million years ago to quit smoking and now just to get away from the "blues".

I would like to know how you are doing so please post. Your achievement in weight lose sounds great but do it for you and how it feels maybe not others (easier said than done I know!)

Take care!
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    So sorry to read this :frown:

As above poster said the best thing you can do is to get yourself out, and try to clear your head. I know it's easier said than done but it will help. I wouldn't beat myself up about a small gain right now. You are wanting to put the things in place to change that. Oh, also it sounds a bit daft, but when I spilt up with my partner of 7 years. I went out with friends, changed hair colour, & bought some new clothes. Ok, it was all a bit materialistic, but it did help give me a little boost! :flowerforyou:
  • Fivepts
    Fivepts Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I hope you are really proud of yourself for what you have accomplished losing the weight because you should be. Try not to beat yourself up over the little you've gained back. As an emotional eater myself, I understand. You are a beautiful person whether thin or overweight but my guess is that you like your body better when it's fit. See it as a day to day walk. Pull yourself up and do as Matthew says, go for a walk. Do something nice for yourself.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    change your username to something positive, and focus on looking after yourself and learning to love yourself for who you are. You sound really down on yourself.... beating yourself up and hating yourself isn't conducive to long term success at anything. Focus on yourself first, learn to love yourself for who you are, and you'll find sticking to the fat loss plan easier, because you'll be doing it out of self love, and giving yourself what you know you deserve, rather than from feeling guilty, bad, or hating yourself.
  • breezyleaf
    breezyleaf Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    "When you think about quitting, think about why you started." There will always be times in your life where you are tested. You have to keep your head held high, and remember that this too shall pass. I know it just seems like words. Take comfort in knowing how much of a warrior you are, and how far you have come. Go do something that you enjoy, to reset your life! You will be OK and every little thing will be alright.
  • maostrom
    maostrom Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey buddy, :) I was recently diagnosed with depression and anxiety. I've waded out of the deep end for now and what I've found is that you can use(when you feel up to it) health and fitness as a means of bringing you a bit of happiness. Step away from weight-loss aspect for a bit and do things that make you happy, go out with your friends, have a good cry. You're a human being regardless of what you weigh - I'm a chubby Asian girl too, and if you feel society is coming down too hard on you perhaps you should go on a trip for the weekend with some friends. Surround yourself with the people that loved you throughout every dress size. Also congratulations on going so far on your journey, and I wish you well, friend.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I "like" all those incredible comments above!!

I'm so sorry, OP, that you are struggling so. Your stress is really off the map. It's understandable that you resorted to old coping methods.

But it sounds like you really want to stop this self-defeating behavior. Stuffing and binging just don't help. It hurts, especially one's tummy. :(

I really recommend you try some cognitive behavioral techniques on yourself. Figure out what negative things you are saying to yourself and do battle against them. The one negative comment that about society's expectations isn't completely true (so dump that mantra), and even if it was, you don't have to burden yourself with what society expects. I, for one, respect you as a human being, whether you are 220 or 150 or whatever!!

I second the notion of tossing your negative thoughts aside (preferably into the fireplace), and getting up and exercising in some way. Get out and go. Jump rope. Blast some music and dance. Do something loving and kind for yourself. Because bottom line is, you are the one who must love yourself first and foremost, and when you can find it within yourself to care about you, the world won't be as ugly and you wont be as lonely.
  • irasgirl
    irasgirl Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OK....first of all YOU LOST 80 LBS.....that is a cause for celebration....the 6 lb you recently gained are trivial !! Believe me anyone who loses the amount of weight you did WILL see fluctuations of their goal weight

NOW take a deep breath, remember you are a tough, smart woman who has hit a rough patch. This is a temporary set back, you have the ability and power to continue in a healthy, positive direction; IF you decide to love yourself enough to invest in YOU.

No one else is responsible for the hard work you did to reach your present weight. That also means no one else can stop you from reaching your goal The best and hardest lesson you can learn is that YOU are the only one who can change YOUR LIFE !!!

I have faith that you can do it....now...go to the mirror and let the beautiful girl looking back know you are not going to let her down!!
    Kathy:flowerforyou:

P.S. I saw this on another post...great article on emotional eating:http://www.helpguide.org/life/emotional_eating_stress_cravings.htm