What was YOUR worst binge story???

Options

Replies

• taylorbrown1792
    taylorbrown1792 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I usually binge eat after a move. pizza, soda, all that crap since i dont usually want to cook after unpacking an entire house.
  • focuseddiva
    focuseddiva Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Too many episodes to recount. But generally, I'll practically plan a binge day. IN my head, I know what I want. I'd go to a movie and get the extra large popcorn with free refills, and refill TWICE. Then I'd feel sick so I'd stuff my guilt away with a medium pizza, followed by candy bars, little debbie snacks, and half a loaf of bread with butter. Awful. Worst part is I'd stuff probably 5000 calories or more into myself within an hour, and quickly feel so sick. My heart would race, stomach would hurt, and I would fall asleep like I was in a coma. Another binging thing I struggle with is late-night eating. I'll fall asleep, but then wake up an hour later, and head to the kitchen. After a day of eating cleanly and exercising, suddenly I will have no self control, and I'll just stand there and eat half a box fo cereal, crackers, whataver I can cram into myself. In about 20 minutes, I can pack away 4000 calories. I then usually go to bed, absolutely disgusted with myself. The next day, I am so not hungry but very bloated feeling -- lethargic. And oddly, EXTRA hungry. That hunger afte ra binge day is something I Have to fight to ignore; otherwise I worry I will go through another binge day. I signed up with MFP to try to stop these crazy binges. I'd restrict for a few days and then binge for a few days, and all it did was make me gain weight. I need more consistency. I HATE how binging makes me feel. I hate the self-hating. I hate how out of control I feel. Every morning after a nighttime binge, I tell myself, "Remember how you feel. Remember how you hate this. Remember how it's not worth it." And then I usually resolve to not do that again. ANd I'm "good" for a few days and then binge again. I think this has been going on for about 2 years. I have got to break this. It's so unhealthy... any words of advice on how to stop this binging? Thanks to the OP for asking about this. I think a lot of people deal with this, but it is such a private, shameful act that nobody likes to talk about it.
  • focuseddiva
    Options
    I just thought of one more example. When I was in high school, I was very heavy. high school is hard enough without being severely obese. Well, as soon as I could drive, I was at fast food drive thrus. Except I wouldn't go to just one. I would research where there were a row of fast food places, and then I would pick my favorite things from each and go to each drive thru. So, I'd hit up Burger King and get a whopper and chicken sandwich. Then drive to McDonalds for two large fries. Then to Wendy's for a cheeseburge and fries. And then I'd take al of that back to my house, stuff it into my backpack, and run to my room and eat it all in about 45 minutes. SO yes -- that would be like 2-3 large burgers, a chicken sandwich, and 3 large fries. Then, I'd stuff all the garbage back into my backpack and find a public trash can somewhere.

I can also remember being around 12 or 13 and home by myself for a few hours. I ordered a larger pizza for delivery. Ate the whole pizza. Then cut up the pizza box, put it in a bag, and walked around the corner of my house where there was an empty field and threw the evidence there. Not only did I litter, I was binging at 12. Really awful. Once upon a time a few years ago, I had all of this under control. The sheer novelty of being at my goal weight and of being a normal size and treated like a normal person kept me on the straight and narrow. Then the old habits came back, and I am now desperately trying to stop this runaway train once again before it gets out of control. When I was 140 lbs, I swore I'd never let it go past 150 without taking serious action. That turned into 160 .Then I was stuck at 170 for the past year. ANd over the last 4 months, I put on 10 lbs. Now I am at 180 -- closer to 200 than I have been in 7 years -- and really trying to get it under control and get it right. I don't know if I'll ever be rid of the binging tendency, but I am trying.
  • sugaspice999
    Options
    ^ OMGGGG, so much in common, its crazy! I think we all have some pretty similar stories though. I also stuffed my backpack with food, but never with burgers and hot food, mainly because I thought everyone would be able to smell it!

I've also slept and woken up and binged! It used to be on really bad food before, but even in the last 2 months, maybe 3 or 4 times I've made my greek yogurt + protein + banana post workout snack and protein oatmeal for breakfast before taking a short "nap". But then I wake up and end up taking a bite, eventually finishing them, Usually its not even 8 or 9 pm, so I've ate another extra 900 cals on top of my daily intake. Then if I'm still hungry, I'll eat more! I'm so glad I'm out of almond and peanut butter, especially the sunflower seed butter. I used to put like 3 tbsp of it on top of my oatmeal and yogurt, now I've just been eating sweet potatoes like a maniac. My family that came over for thanksgiving said I'm turning orange (I'm srs btw, not kidding!) -_-

17. I can't believe I forgot to include this, but I worked at Mcdonalds in 10th grade during the summer. I really didn't even want to, but I was hired on the spot and just took the offer. It was a really dumb decision! I was vegetarian at the time, but usually ate just an ice cream cone and medium fries with 2-3 sauces on 4 hour shifts. I remember once after a really bad day, I ate an ice cream cone w/ peanuts, medium fries, 2 cokes, and then after my shift I took home a reese's mcflurry with extra caramel and walnuts and peanuts in it and some large fries and 4-5 sauce cups and coke. This was on top of whatever else I ate during the day.

18. Also, once went shopping with my mom at a really huge mall/shopping center (Irvine Spectrum, CA) and seeing all the thin women there made me feel so bad about myself! I tried on a LOT of clothes and nothing fit. We walked past a stand where there were two women giving out thinkthin bar samples (the whole bar) in little mini bags as a promotion and I just walked past them 2-3 times and ended up with like 8 bars. I ate the 8 bars all within 3 hours. (Each one had 230 cals). From then on, my obsession with these bars started, they have 20g protein, 0 sugar though its from erythritol, and gluten free. I love the pb and caramel crunch ones, even bought the boxes many times and have never been able to stop at just one! Three weeks ago, I ate all 6 bars in less than 30 minutes with a whole pot of black super dark roast coffee. Similar experience with quest bars too!

I'm not sure how I remember all these! I think I just make myself feel really bad about them, so they're kind of engraved into my memory. And thank you for the compliment! I think I look thinner in pictures than in real life though haha. :)
  • conqkm11
    Options
    After my first show placed 3rd ..( i was at contest range 4 % body fat ) ...i went to a food court then a hyper market and seriously bought the following( i still have the receipts lol) 1 - Domino's pizza ( 2 LARGE bbq chicken pizza , extra cheese ) , 2 -Chilli's (Chicken quesadillas, 10 blue cheese small cups , Fries ) , 3 - Ben n Jerry's ( 1 .5 kg Cookies dough ice cream ) 4- Nutella ( 2 750 G jars ) , 5 - Macdonalds ( 20 hot cakes , 20 syrups ) , 6 - Belgian waffels ( 10 thick ones plain ) , 7- Snickers , twix ,3 musketeers,milkway ( 500 g fun size bag ) , 8 - Peanuts, Cashews ( 250 G each ) , 9 - Macdonalds ( 5 Choco muffins , 15 soft baked chocolate chips Cookies ) , 10 - Pringels ( 5 700 G tubes ) , 11 - Heinz ( 700 G ketchup , 700 g BBQ Sauce , 700 g thousand Island ) ,12 - Dunkin doughnuts ( ALL) , 13- Pepsi ( 3 liters ) , 14 - Almond butter ( 500 g ) , 15 - Cinnabon ( 5 pecanbon extra caramel and pecans) ....i saw my body changes lol ..Slept for like 16 hrs that day ..and woke up with the best feeling and energy in my life lol .
  • Nicola1944
    Nicola1944 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Too many episodes to recount. But generally, I'll practically plan a binge day. IN my head, I know what I want. I'd go to a movie and get the extra large popcorn with free refills, and refill TWICE. Then I'd feel sick so I'd stuff my guilt away with a medium pizza, followed by candy bars, little debbie snacks, and half a loaf of bread with butter. Awful. Worst part is I'd stuff probably 5000 calories or more into myself within an hour, and quickly feel so sick. My heart would race, stomach would hurt, and I would fall asleep like I was in a coma. Another binging thing I struggle with is late-night eating. I'll fall asleep, but then wake up an hour later, and head to the kitchen. After a day of eating cleanly and exercising, suddenly I will have no self control, and I'll just stand there and eat half a box fo cereal, crackers, whataver I can cram into myself. In about 20 minutes, I can pack away 4000 calories. I then usually go to bed, absolutely disgusted with myself. The next day, I am so not hungry but very bloated feeling -- lethargic. And oddly, EXTRA hungry. That hunger afte ra binge day is something I Have to fight to ignore; otherwise I worry I will go through another binge day. I signed up with MFP to try to stop these crazy binges. I'd restrict for a few days and then binge for a few days, and all it did was make me gain weight. I need more consistency. I HATE how binging makes me feel. I hate the self-hating. I hate how out of control I feel. Every morning after a nighttime binge, I tell myself, "Remember how you feel. Remember how you hate this. Remember how it's not worth it." And then I usually resolve to not do that again. ANd I'm "good" for a few days and then binge again. I think this has been going on for about 2 years. I have got to break this. It's so unhealthy... any words of advice on how to stop this binging? Thanks to the OP for asking about this. I think a lot of people deal with this, but it is such a private, shameful act that nobody likes to talk about it.

Omg, you are me! I'm adding you!!

Another great with words there :) X
  • kawaiifurby
    kawaiifurby Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I can remember a specific time binging but I often have what I call 'binge phases' where I binge every day for a few weeks, and end up gaining a load of weight. This forum is really comforting!!
    Two weeks ago I took a cereal bar into college for lunch and I ended up eating:
    the cereal bar (90ish) chocolate breakfast biscuit (100?) 4 huge triple chocolate cookies (1600) chicken burger (400?) chips/fries if you're american hehe (500?) rocky road (400?)
    and then about 10 minutes before I was due in to class I was like wow... I fancy some pizza right now so I had a huge slice of pizza with chips/fries (1000ish)
    so thats 4090 just in one lunch time, and I continued the binge to when I got home aswell.. the shame

Just this monday as my lunch I decided to buy a tray bake of chocolate brownie, for 8 people. It never ends haha.

Also feel free to add me any of you, i'm looking for MFP friends :)
  • ntftnm
    ntftnm Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Why after a 'good eating day' would i allow myself to eat 1140 cal of dark chocolate english toffee? I even kept eating after i started to feel sick....ug.. glad i finished the box so i cant have any more. Lol that'll stop me.
  • focuseddiva
    Options
    It's funny -- I think many people have these episodes but it's so incredibly shameful that nobody admits to it. Right now, I'm sitting in a hotel room on a work trip. In the past, if I had an evening in a hotel, well then, that's when the binge would begin in earnest. Since I expense my meals for work, I'd order a regular meal and keep the receipt. Then I'd pay for all kinds of extras on my own so that it wouldn't be seen by anyone at my company. But I would order take out pizza, then room service ... I seem to have an issue with pizza or cheesy bread when it comes to binging. Anything with melted cheese on it. Melting cheddar cheese on a flour tortilla is one of my go-to binge foods. Except I'd make like 6 of them. I also have a problem with Cheerios. I could seriously eat half of a big box of Cheerios (with skim milk) . However, that makes me so gassy and I pay for it the next day. But anyway -- I am currently in a hotel room and this would be the perfect opportunity for me to binge. I am surrounded by restaurants at this hotel. Heck, they even offered me warm chocolate chip cookies when I checked in. However, somehow I resisted. And its a victory that I am not binging tonight. Instead, I am here, on these forums, trying to keep my mind off of food. I didn't do any exercise today, so I can't rationalize in my head that I exercised, therefore I can eat. I really want to. I'm kind of hungry, but the binges aren't about hunger. Ever. They are ... a need to feel satisfied. Feeling like I need just a bit of something sweet. And then, before too long, I have eaten to the point that my stomach is killing me, and I can't even stand upright. Hunched over in pain and all I can do is lay down and fall asleep. Which I usually do b/c my body just kind of shuts down.

Another secret, and this is REALLY shameful. Few years ago, we went on a cruise for vacation. I was terrified to go b/c a cruise is just a floating buffet to me. I don't think about the activites or anything. i think about the food. Well, I was really careful the weeks before the cruise. And back then, I was pretty much where I wanted to be weight-wise. Day before the cruise, I weighed in at 147. That was a good weight for me. I reasoned that this gave me 5 pounds to play with. On the cruise, did I spend time with my family? Do fun things? Actually, yes a bit. But mostly I ate nonstop. Told myself I earned it. While my kids were in the pool, I was in the buffet line. Again. They had a chocolate dessert night -- it was literally a chocolate buffet. They had small saucer-sized plates for people to use. I actually left that deck, went to another deck to where the grill was and where bigger plates were, grabbed a big plate and went back to the chocolate buffet so I could load a big plate. Funny, though, my binges are never focused on choclate or sweets. Some, but not much. My binges are usually all about FOOD -- as in pizza, bread, pasta, fries.

Oh -- that reminds me, too. In junior high, I used to buy family-size bags of Doritos. I'd hide it in my room. I could eat an entire bag in an hour. In college, with no money, I'd buy a bnox of instant mashed potatoes. I would make them, throw in a stick of butter, and voila -- that was dinner. An entire insutrial-sized box of mashed potatoes. Crazy. Just thinking about this makes me feel kind of sick. I don't know if I will ever get over binging ... if I could plan/control it carefully without any ill effects on my weight, I so would do it. But I don't trust myself or my ability to control it. So I just can't do it. I can't.

Anyway, it is a victory that tonight, with all kinds of food at my disposal, sitting in a hotel room by myself, I'm on these boards instead of binging.
  • emmakrshw
    Options
    the other week, I went to McDonald's and got a chicken sandwich, large fries and milkshake. Then I went to Hungry Jacks and ordered a BBQ burger, milkshake and a large sundae. Then to pie face for quiche, then the convienience store for a large bag of chips and a chocolate bar. Then BACK to McDonald's for a mcfurry. I took the chips and chocolate back to my room, and then put the rubbish in a plastic bag and put it in the bottom of the bin.

I've also done the "stuff the evidence in a backpack and throw out in a public bin" trick.

I've eaten a full packet of Tim Tams in one go before.

A couple of months ago, I was staying in a hostel and I went out and bought a large pizza, a packet of muesli bars (6 in a box, 250 cals each), a large bag of soy honey chips and a 1.5ltre bottle of fanta. Ate it all, shoving it all in like an animal. I didn't realise there was a girl in the top bunk staring at me, looking horrified. It stopped me binging for only a week, and then it happened again. And again. And again.

I'm glad I came on this thread because it's making me remember these things that I've tried to block out and hopefully it'll help me to stop. I'm also trying to be more open to my mum about it.
  • MissLeelooDallas
    MissLeelooDallas Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    At least I can start by saying I haven't binged since starting MFP, which is something..

My favorite binge in the past was one that I would do about once a month. I'd go out and buy a jar of nacho cheese and a bag of tostitos and I would take it down in about two sittings. I also had a weakness for eating a whole chipotle burrito along with a bag of chips and quacamole.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Surprisingly even though I once hit 300 I was never a binge eater. My worst ever is pretty tame compared to most of these stories. I was in high school and sometimes felt ashamed eating a lot in front of my friends and family so when I was home alone for the weekend I went to Arby's and got a roast beef sub and curly fries with lots of Arby sauce and a huge Dr. Pepper and ate it and then had FOUR "Bar None" chocolate bars. I can't remember but I think they were 3/$1 and I bought six and ate four and threw the other two in the trash. This was almost 20 yrs ago but I still remember feeling really ashamed about it.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    At the end of my undergrad I suppose the most food I ate was in the dining hall. Pound of wings, big milkshakes, 2 slices of pizza, pile of fries, pile of genero tso's chicken, pile of mac and cheese, pie, cake...then would do that about 3 times a day with a variety of food. Probably somewhere around 3,000-4,000 calories a meal for a few weeks. 12,000+ calories a day is a conservative estimate.

We made our own milkshakes. We'd take UConn Diary Bar icecream, which was only free at east dining hall, add some local chocolate milk, some whipped cream, and mash it all together in a 16 oz cup. Best milkshakes ever. I think I had at least 1 milkshake every meal for the past few weeks of undergrad.

I was losing weight at that time (I was 21 and really beginning to get very active), so I wasn't really concerned. But, it was a lot of food! Yumyum.
  • TaraRichardson913
    TaraRichardson913 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to be bulimic so I have a ton of times and stories..

I went to the Mandarin(HUGE chinese buffet) all the time but the worst was when I was stuffing my face and saw my nurse who knew of my bulimia at the next table..

I used to binge all day and night, you name it, I ate it.

One time I ate a tub of icecream at 6pm, another one at 7p , then ran out for another one, then at 2am ate my roomies tub and went out to replace it..and ate that too. Omg.

ugh sooo many stories!!
  • PurpleStars73
    Options
    The week leading up to my daughter's 2nd major surgery on her skull. I ate until I threw up almost every single night because I didn't know how to handle the stress. It was the darkest time in my life. I still binge when I'm going thru a rough patch, but I try to make the choices healthier or I listen to loud music, that always helps ;-)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Over the years and/or recently:

Other people's bags of cookies;
    Numerous chocolates;
    Boxes of crackers;
    90% of a pie;
    Half a pizza;
    Almost all of a box of specially made macarons;
    Most of a box of marzipan.

I'm not overweight, so people don't understand how overeating could possibly be an issue for me. I've had obese people telling me I should exercise will power :mad: . I tell them that will power is not very powerful against a compulsion. I also have less will power as I get older; there's often a feeling of "What's the point?" (I'm not planning on giving up.) Moderation doesn't work for me. I do much better with avoidance. Unfortunately, I don't live alone and can't control the food around me. There isn't any support for my weight maintenance: misery loves company.

I'm also quite aware that there's an emotional aspect to this. But awareness and change are not the same thing.

I once read that Gloria Steinem, who is very thin, used to raid the desks of her co-workers for junk food, leaving notes with abject apologies promising to replace it the next day. That made me feel a little better. She had a difficult childhood and adolescence. I think that overeating is a crude way of addressing earlier feelings of deprivation.
  • devilwhiterose
    devilwhiterose Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    When my husband (then boyfriend) and I got into a car wreck in 02. I went from being a very athletic swimmer to having a broken wrist, lost 3" of muscle in my thigh...among other injuries. I ate like a pig and gained ALOT.

When my grandma died in 05. My coworker felt bad for me and asked if I needed anything from the store. I requested a small pack of peanut butter m&ms. He came back with the XXL bag. I ate the whole thing in a day. I probably gained 20-30 pounds after she died...
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    After my first show placed 3rd ..( i was at contest range 4 % body fat ) ...i went to a food court then a hyper market and seriously bought the following( i still have the receipts lol) 1 - Domino's pizza ( 2 LARGE bbq chicken pizza , extra cheese ) , 2 -Chilli's (Chicken quesadillas, 10 blue cheese small cups , Fries ) , 3 - Ben n Jerry's ( 1 .5 kg Cookies dough ice cream ) 4- Nutella ( 2 750 G jars ) , 5 - Macdonalds ( 20 hot cakes , 20 syrups ) , 6 - Belgian waffels ( 10 thick ones plain ) , 7- Snickers , twix ,3 musketeers,milkway ( 500 g fun size bag ) , 8 - Peanuts, Cashews ( 250 G each ) , 9 - Macdonalds ( 5 Choco muffins , 15 soft baked chocolate chips Cookies ) , 10 - Pringels ( 5 700 G tubes ) , 11 - Heinz ( 700 G ketchup , 700 g BBQ Sauce , 700 g thousand Island ) ,12 - Dunkin doughnuts ( ALL) , 13- Pepsi ( 3 liters ) , 14 - Almond butter ( 500 g ) , 15 - Cinnabon ( 5 pecanbon extra caramel and pecans) ....i saw my body changes lol ..Slept for like 16 hrs that day ..and woke up with the best feeling and energy in my life lol .

I can relate to waking up the next day after a binge feeling great and full of energy, I think that's why so many of my 'one day only' binges have gone on for weeks or months before I stopped again. Because at first I do feel great. For a few days. Then I get run down, really irritable, craving everything every minute of the day, and of course I gain a huge amount of weight, which is incredibly depressing. This last time I got a nasty rash on my back, too. Which I remember having for over a year when I was very overweight.

I think it's either a gluten issue, a glucose issue, or both. It's not psychological, but stress can trigger it. Most of all, energy fluctuations due to illness or allergies or lack of sleep are the enemy. I think I just crave that energy boost of the first few days so bad. Now I tell myself it isn't worth it and to just ride out the exhaustion.

I have so many binge stories I wouldn't know how to pick just one, but I do know that the thinner I am, the more I can put away. A large calorie deficit can also trigger me, so I'm very careful now. Oh, and let us not forget PMS.

Domino's: One medium pizza in an hour, half a box of cinnamon sticks. Half a box of breadsticks. Half a two liter of soda to wash it all down. Better believe it wasn't diet soda! Then a couple hours later I'm in the fridge getting bowl after bowl of ice cream. That night peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were had. And that probably isn't even my worst day, just the most recent before I said enough and cut the crap out of my diet again.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think the most embarrassing was about 8 years ago. It was our first winter in the house and we were having a big storm on MLK Jr. Day. Hubs had to work but my company was closed so I dipped into my store of goodies - ate a pint of Ben & Jerry's and half of a large frozen pizza (maybe more than half) then went outside to do some shoveling. Well on the way back in I slipped on some ice and broke my leg! Had the ambulance come and called Hubs asking him to make his way home and meet me at the hospital as soon as he could.

When we got home, he saw the remaining pizza on the stove. Normally I was a sneaking eater so he didn't see most of the remnants of my binging but I had no way to hide that one and I was so humiliated. It stuck with me so much that I never binged on pizza and ice cream at home again! Not to say I never binged on anything but from that point on, my sneaking eating was strictly when I was in my car.

Thankfully I don't do any of that anymore!! Still eat pizza but don't gorge myself like I used to and don't keep ice cream in the house since it's a major trigger food for me.
  • Spreyton22K
    Spreyton22K Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    To everyone here that has been very brave and honest in accounting their struggles with this condition I wanted to say Thank You. You have opened my eyes to your struggles and I feel as tho I understand just a little better, and knowledge is everything.

I have a brother-in-law (dearly loved, now very sick in his mid-60's), he struggles with binge eating.....I think he has for many, many years but the last 10 the condition has deteriorated badly and sadly his body isn't coping with the punishment. He is morbidly obese, had 2 hip replacements and lost a kidney from cancer and now has developed severe Type 2 diabetes requiring insulin injections.

He binges of choice are very similar to the style of foods you have all mentioned....all the one's with the highest loadings of salt, sugar and fat.....those that light up our brains to the maximum.

As his family we are desperate to be able to help him....but sadly he is in the space of denial that he has always been. He too seems to eat in an attempt to fill a gaping emotional space left from childhood and low self-esteem issues.

I have my own ED issues, profound anorexia in my early life....and at 51, I too struggle to not slip back into this mode of coping when life is difficult and I am stressed. It is a life long struggle....much better now with counselling, but I have to be eternally vigilant.

I applaud everyone's bravery and I think forming a support group would be awesome but I did just want all of you to believe in yourselves and never to let shame or anyone else's stupid comments of "Just get over it" or "Exercise your willpower" stop you from seeking help so you can start healing from this disorder. Our bodies are fragile, they can only take so much punishment......as we get older binging or depriving can cause serious permanent harm or even death.

To all you amazing individuals, take care, nurture yourselves.....maybe face any demons and may you all triumph.

Best Wishes
    Karen :heart: