Vegan anyone?

Options
I'm considering going vegan. Anyone who is vegan tell me: Why did you choose that lifestyle? Does it help you have more energy? Physically feel better? What are the pros and cons for you personally?

Replies

• VelvetMorning
    VelvetMorning Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Saving for tomorrow, avoiding sleep on cell. :p
  • awesomethisisfun
    Options
    Finding complete protein sources is such a drag plus it's easy to overeat simple carbs/grains. That's just me, though. Lmk how it goes if you end up trying it.
  • NayScheepers
    NayScheepers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm vegan, and indulge in the occasional dairy and fish. My acne has completely disappeared, my digestion is great and I wake up feeling a lot happier and lighter. I've been vegan for exactly a year now, since Dec 2012. It can be hard in the beginning, but by doing some research, pinning some yummy recipes on pinterest and even finding your own community for support (I like the Kind Life website, as well as Kris Carr's website for inspiration and recipes) it can make the transition a lot easier. I'd suggest reading Kris Carr's book, Crazy Sexy Diet, for a complete understanding though. The protein deficiency thing is a complete myth, and Kris really makes it all easy to understand. I know it can be difficult to keep an open mind when it comes to the vegan lifestyle, but it really is worth it. I initially just wanted to try it for a month (I loooooooved my steak!) purely for weight loss and yet here I am, a year later :)
  • NayScheepers
    NayScheepers Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you're looking for some immediate inspiration, I'd suggest watching documentaries on the subject, Hungry For Change and Food Inc are excellent, as well as Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Good luck :)
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm vegan, and indulge in the occasional dairy and fish.
    No this would make you a Lacto Pescetarian.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan because I don't agree with the exploitation of animals. As a diet though it's like anything else you can have bad vegan diets the same way you can have good diets containing meat and animal products. It's no panacia to losing weight or being healthy.
  • Ophidion
    Options
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm vegan, and indulge in the occasional dairy and fish.
    No this would make you a Lacto Pescetarian.

exactly this^. If you are consuming dairy or fish even occasionally, you aren't a vegan
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm vegan, and indulge in the occasional dairy and fish. My acne has completely disappeared, my digestion is great and I wake up feeling a lot happier and lighter. I've been vegan for exactly a year now, since Dec 2012. It can be hard in the beginning, but by doing some research, pinning some yummy recipes on pinterest and even finding your own community for support (I like the Kind Life website, as well as Kris Carr's website for inspiration and recipes) it can make the transition a lot easier. I'd suggest reading Kris Carr's book, Crazy Sexy Diet, for a complete understanding though. The protein deficiency thing is a complete myth, and Kris really makes it all easy to understand. I know it can be difficult to keep an open mind when it comes to the vegan lifestyle, but it really is worth it. I initially just wanted to try it for a month (I loooooooved my steak!) purely for weight loss and yet here I am, a year later :)

Ahhh.... You might want to look at the definition of vegan. It doesn't include occasionally having dairy and fish. Seriously. You are pescatarian. You are not, and cannot count yourself as vegan eating the way you do.

You can't wear a PETA tshirt and eat a fillet o fish at the same time.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    Ahhh.... You might want to look at the definition of vegan. It doesn't include occasionally having dairy and fish. Seriously. You are pescatarian. You are not, and cannot count yourself as vegan eating the way you do.

You can't wear a PETA tshirt and eat a fillet o fish at the same time.
    Well technically she could but she would still be in denial or a hypocrite..PETA sucks balls anyways, used to support them till I made some recent discoveries.
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options
    nvm
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I'm a recovering alcoholic, 2 years sober, but I still get smashed about 3 times a week. hehehehe.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    I'm a recovering alcoholic, 2 years sober, but I still get smashed about 3 times a week. hehehehe.
    4CviHxy.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegan too. Pro: I get to be cool at parties when I tell people that I'm a vegan. Con: They look at me weird when I'm eating my steak and washing it down with chocolate milk. Don't they understand it's okay on occasion? They just jelly.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I am not Vegan, though I try to eat Vegan food as much as I can. For me it's the health benefits mainly - Dr. Dean Ornish was the first doctor to design a diet that stopped and even reversed heart disease, and it is *almost* vegan. I have read much medical literature on plant-based diets and am convinced that it is the healthiest in the world.

The healthiest sources of protein in the world are Vegan - you can read many medical studies on that topic referred to in John Robbin's Diet for a New America and Dr. Dean Ornish's Spectrum or other books.

I would say the main problem with Veganism is when you go to other people's houses or restaurants, it can be a real b*tch to find anything decent to eat. The number of times I have had to eat "pasta primavera" I could barf.

Get some GREAT cookbooks - I have one vegan one that is asian/world fusion and it keeps things interesting every day. A great cookbook and great recipe websites are a MUST for anyone starting on a vegetarian or vegan diet, to give you great tasty ideas and inspiration and re-teach you how to cook and eat.

I used to eat 100% vegan because of the ethics, however today actually I feel better about eating MEAT than EGGS, because if you eat meat, at least the cow dies and the pain is over. Eggs, for the most part, ensure life-long torture for the animal. Meat-eaters always say "but lettuce has feelings too - you are killing that lettuce!" as a joke, but actually, I am very spiritual and I do revere the soul/spirit in plants as well as in animals, and I always apologize to my herbs when I cut some rosemary, and I thank the plant. I have come to feel that there is not so much difference between the two. I feel bad eating BOTH, but I know I must eat something. THAT is why I am not 100% vegan anymore - I don't see a difference between plants and animals, so I don't see a reason to be 100% Vegan, when 95% veg seems good enough for my health (the Dean Ornish diet). There are several books - scientific ones written by proper biologists and spiritual ones also - which talk about the sentient nature of plants and their consciousness and their ability to feel pain. I would reference them here, but I am sure everyone already thinks I am a nut for having said this, so I won't bother. Either you "feel" that this is true, or you don't; I don't think any book is going to convince anyone that a plant has a soul or consciousness, until you actually sense that for yourself.

My crazy 2 cents' worth.
  • Ophidion
    Options
    I'm a vegan too. Pro: I get to be cool at parties when I tell people that I'm a vegan. Con: They look at me weird when I'm eating my steak and washing it down with chocolate milk. Don't they understand it's okay on occasion? They just jelly.
    We are all jelly of your dark meat :wink:
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    I'm pretty sure everyone eats "vegan foods".
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you're looking for some immediate inspiration, I'd suggest watching documentaries on the subject, Hungry For Change and Food Inc are excellent, as well as Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead. Good luck :)
    Don't forget "Forks Over Knives"!!!!

And, to the OP, go vegan, and take some time to learn about how and why. No matter what your diet, vegan or not, i can say that the more fruits and vegetables that you eat, the better you will feel.

Check into the work of the following Doctors:
    Alan Goldhamer
    Neal Barnard
    Colin Campbell
    Caldwell Esselstyn
    John McDougall
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Sure do! I enjoyed some oreos this past weekend, in fact.
  • PikaKnight
    Options

Sure do! I enjoyed some oreos this past weekend, in fact.

I knew I was forgetting something on my shopping list!