Heart Rate Monitor and Running

I know I've seen a post on this in the past. I determined my max heart rate is 190. Now where do I go with this? I met with a trainer and they said for max fat burn I should stay between 134-140. I did a half marathon in October (for a little history.)

Today I went on a run and I felt like I had to walk a LOT to stay in that range (134-140.) Any advice?

Thanks! :)

Replies

• laskares
    laskares Posts: 5 Member
    My resting heart rate is 65 (if that helps.)
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Yea, I stopped listening to my heart rate monitor. Actually stopped wearing it for a while but need more accurate calorie burn readings. My HR runs 175 when I run. I am a 45 year old female. I would have to walk quite a bit to get my heart rate to where I am "supposed" to be. As long as I can breathe and talk I keep going.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    the 'fat burning zone' is a bunch of crap.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/the-myth-of-the-fat-burning-zone

In order to determine how you should be running, you should know your goal. Trying to do an easy run? Run slow enough so that you can maintain a conversation. Tempo run? You should be able to get a few words out, but it should be difficult. Speed work? Ain't nobody got time for talking in that.

I would say I hang out around 150-160 for a marathon pace. 180-190 for speed work. That is just me, though.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    the 'fat burning zone' is a bunch of crap.

http://www.active.com/triathlon/articles/the-myth-of-the-fat-burning-zone

In order to determine how you should be running, you should know your goal. Trying to do an easy run? Run slow enough so that you can maintain a conversation. Tempo run? You should be able to get a few words out, but it should be difficult. Speed work? Ain't nobody got time for talking in that.

I would say I hang out around 150-160 for a marathon pace. 180-190 for speed work. That is just me, though.

I agree with this. 150 to 160 is a great range for your regular workouts (lower for a recovery run or a slow day). 180ish for a race page. My max HR is around 202. My typical running HR average is 164 on a tough workout, 146 on an easy one (that took a long time to be able to do LOL). But, during a race, or on a really tough workout, I can get up in the 190s - or on a hot day, pushing my max which does NOT feel good.
  • xcmtnracer
    xcmtnracer Posts: 426 Member
    Keep a record of time and distance at different exertion levels, record your HR for those and use them as a baseline for improvement. Example, run a comfortable mile, record the time and HR, on another occasion, record another mile at an increased speed and HR, continue to do this to your max HR over that mile, then do the same for other distances, then refer back to the established baseline to gauge your improvement, faster times at the same HR of same time with lower HR. Always warm up at least 10 minutes before recording different levels to stabilized. If you try to run all out for a mile without a warm up your HR will go through the roof. I use this for cycling and racing and it seems to work well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I know I've seen a post on this in the past. I determined my max heart rate is 190. Now where do I go with this? I met with a trainer and they said for max fat burn I should stay between 134-140. I did a half marathon in October (for a little history.)

Today I went on a run and I felt like I had to walk a LOT to stay in that range (134-140.) Any advice?

The "trainer" is full of what we used to call in the old country--"the craps".

If you are exercising for weight loss, then total calories expended is your main concern--not "fat burning". However, even that should be of secondary importance. Train for fitness and performance--which means including endurance, tempo, and interval workouts into your routine--and the calories, and the "fat burning" will take care of themselves.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member

If you are exercising for weight loss, then total calories expended is your main concern--not "fat burning". However, even that should be of secondary importance. Train for fitness and performance--which means including endurance, tempo, and interval workouts into your routine--and the calories, and the "fat burning" will take care of themselves.
    This.... 'Trainers' are the biggest perpetuators of dodgy information and bro science around
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/heart-rate-calculators/hrzone

I recommend the above for a simple, straightforward explanation of different zones.
    Your workout plan ought to consist of some work in each one as they promote different adaptations, but the majority being in the aerobic in my opinion. This is typically running at a conversational pace
  • sanfly
    sanfly Posts: 207 Member
    The main reason I bought a HRM was because I felt like I was getting lazy on my runs - if my heart rate isn't above 155, I push myself harder.

If you're running half marathons you obviously have some specific training goals - stick to your distance and time goals for running, watch what you eat, the rest will come naturally with it.
  • Mamoonie
    Mamoonie Posts: 328
    When I run I have at least 140 ( in the beginning) , but rather over 150 ( after some time). During my races, I usually go over 180 at some point.
    I'd say your HR adapts to the situation, and you'll feel good when over 150 at some point while you still may feel exhausted or out of breath right now.
    That HR Max can be trained to a higher number.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member

All of the above.

Your "trainer" has you working at roughly 70% MHR - in a "zone" which is useful for base endurance / improving efficiency / ability to use oxygen. One other benefit is that it improves fat metabolism and your body uses a greater % of fat to fuel the effort than if you were working at a higher intensity. Unfortunately this benefit has been distorted by marketing to say "woooo hooo, the fat burning zone baby" when in reality if fat loss is your prime concern then total calorie expenditure is more important.

However, calorie expenditure really isn't the best focus for building a fitness programme in my view.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    The book "Heart Rate Monitor Training for the Compleat Idiot" is the most complete book on the subject you'll ever read. Fortunately you don't have to buy it, Fetch has summarised all you need to know here:

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=87

Don't trust a calculated max HR, by the way, find your actual working max. Mine's a good 15-20 BPM higher.

Edit: Oh yes and your trainer's an idiot. You may burn a grater percentage of fat overall at a lower HR, but higher you burn more fat and more calories in the same time going harder. Just don't go super-hard every day.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    When I run I have at least 140 ( in the beginning) , but rather over 150 ( after some time). During my races, I usually go over 180 at some point.
    I'd say your HR adapts to the situation, and you'll feel good when over 150 at some point while you still may feel exhausted or out of breath right now.
    That HR Max can be trained to a higher number.

Very rarely can you push the HRmax higher.

You might get more fit and in a max test can go farther and faster and higher HR than previously, but the HRmax didn't change, only your ability to have enough strength to hit it was finally reached.
    But your HRmax is mostly genetic, and keeping it at higher level is mostly related to staying fit as you age.

That's where the formula's breakdown, that assume loss of HRmax as you age at constant rate.

To OP - fat-burning zone is an appropriate HR zone for specific workout, that's why it was more correctly called for ages before the fad name - Active Recovery HR zone. Adds no new stress for body to deal with, but at least gets the blood flowing. So great for, well, as name says it, recovery.