Price of eggs

Options

Replies

• rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Eggs were somewhere around $4 for a dozen regular, factory farmed eggs where I was in Alaska this fall. When they went on special and it was 2 dozen for $6 I ate eggs every day for a week and a half because it was the cheapest food available.

And owning chickens doesn't mean your eggs are free, exactly, since you had to spend money for the coop, hay for bedding, feed, water, and electricity for heat lamps if it gets too cold in the winter. You just get really awesome eggs that overtime will cost less than store bought!
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I have a backyard flock of 10 hens, They're free range during the day, although this time of year there isn't much to forage here in WI. A 50# sack of feed is $15, which lasts 2 weeks. During that time I average 84 eggs. That's roughly 18 cents per egg, or $2.16 per dozen. not counting any other input costs such as coop bedding, lighting, electricity, egg cartons, or even the cost of the coop and raising the hens to a point where they start laying.

The coop itself was over $600 to build, so breaking even will take a long time.

I charge $2 per dozen, but will need to increase that with next year's chicks to $3 just to even think of breaking even..

I wish the HOA didn't prohibit this...but admit it would be kind of odd in the subdivision.

And while I like a good bargain, you're not charging enough for your eggs. $4, at least.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I can get 6 for $.75, or a dozen for around $1.50-$2!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I have a backyard flock of 10 hens, They're free range during the day, although this time of year there isn't much to forage here in WI. A 50# sack of feed is $15, which lasts 2 weeks. During that time I average 84 eggs. That's roughly 18 cents per egg, or $2.16 per dozen. not counting any other input costs such as coop bedding, lighting, electricity, egg cartons, or even the cost of the coop and raising the hens to a point where they start laying.

I charge $2 per dozen, but will need to increase that with next year's chicks to $3 just to even think of breaking even..

I wish the HOA didn't prohibit this...but admit it would be kind of odd in the subdivision.

And while I like a good bargain, you're not charging enough for your eggs. $4, at least.

Agreed; I'd be willing to spend that much on eggs if they were coming from a local farmer!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options

Agreed; I'd be willing to spend that much on eggs if they were coming from a local farmer!

I also agree, I pay $5 for the local free range ones I get. Every time I crack one in the pan I'm still surprised at the colour and taste difference.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Come to Canada, eggs where I buy them, the cheapest I can get them are 3.99. I don't know why food costs so darn much here. I mean, we have chickens. I'm not talking special free range or whatever.

Omega's or free range....4.99 plus a dozen. That is it. I'm moving to the states.
  • mungowungo
    mungowungo Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I currently have two chooks in the backyard (built the coop myself from reject wood from the local sawmill and recycled bits of this and that - I think the only thing I paid for was the nails and roofing screws - and a roast dinner to the friend who helped me dig the holes for the footings and put the roof on [can't stand heights].

The chooks eat layer pellets (about $15 for a 20 kilo bag) enough to keep two chickens very happy for quite a while plus kitchen scraps and leftovers.

And every day I collect two beautiful fresh eggs.

But yes I've noticed the prices at the local shop - absolutely ridiculous.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob

I am an EggSnob also and we get local eggs that are free range.........chickens are running all around. We are charged only $2.50 a dozen
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    $3.50/dozen at my neighbour for completely free-range, organic, same-day-as-laid fresh, etc.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Come to Canada, eggs where I buy them, the cheapest I can get them are 3.99.

That's not a "Canada" thing, that's a "where you are" thing. Generic eggs are half that price in our local stores.
  • Diet_Soda
    Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I pay $4/dozen for local pastured eggs delivered to me in my Green Bean delivery.
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Another egg snob here: I pay $4 to get eggs from a local farmer who lets the chickens run around outside. It's pretty cool--lately I've been getting a lot of "twin" double yolk eggs. (!!)

And then when the chickens are done laying, I buy and eat them, too! Circle of life... :)
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I currently have two chooks in the backyard (built the coop myself from reject wood from the local sawmill and recycled bits of this and that - I think the only thing I paid for was the nails and roofing screws - and a roast dinner to the friend who helped me dig the holes for the footings and put the roof on [can't stand heights].

The chooks eat layer pellets (about $15 for a 20 kilo bag) enough to keep two chickens very happy for quite a while plus kitchen scraps and leftovers.

And every day I collect two beautiful fresh eggs.

But yes I've noticed the prices at the local shop - absolutely ridiculous.

Price quoted in AU$ I'm guessing :wink:
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Mine are free :) Sort of! I just have to go pick them up out of the nests every day. But I do it because I like to know my chickens are treated well, free ranged, no drugs or hormones, etc.

I sell my eggs for 2.50/doz. At Walmart here, the "organic, pastured" eggs are almost $5/doz! And aren't nearly as organic as they would like you to think...
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob

^^^Absolutely this. Nutritious too.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

#EggSnob

You'd pay over $6 a dozen here for organic, pasture-raised eggs. We get our organic eggs from a local producer for about half that amount.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

#EggSnob

^^^Absolutely this. Nutritious too.

Ditto.... I buy 2 dozen every 2 weeks at the Farmer's market... It is $5 a dozen here in NYC :)
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Raising your own meat/produce/dairy etc is far from free; don't get into it if you expect to save money! Which is why our farmers struggle so much. In my neck of the woods though, everybody has chickens, you can't sling a cat without hitting a "Fresh Eggs for Sale" sign (though it's usually spelled "For Sell." :P So it's a supply and demand. In order to break even I would have to sell for $5 a dozen, but no one would buy them ;) So you take what you can get, and what little that is brought in goes right back into the flock.

In freshness, entertainment value, education, and compost, though, my flock of 20 is priceless to me! ;)
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Mine are free :) Sort of! I just have to go pick them up out of the nests every day. But I do it because I like to know my chickens are treated well, free ranged, no drugs or hormones, etc.

I sell my eggs for 2.50/doz. At Walmart here, the "organic, pastured" eggs are almost $5/doz! And aren't nearly as organic as they would like you to think...

Unfortunately, the Chinese are into "organic" products. The only problem is that they might not have drug or pesticide residue in them but they almost certainly will have heavy metals and other pollutants because the irrigation water that they use over there is HEAVILY polluted from many years of industrial waste being poured untreated into the ground water. The Chinese have a HUGE problem with pollution. They have whole cities that are so polluted, that the people call them "cancer cities", :frown:

It is not well known that Walmart has over 700 factories in China. They undoubtedly have food contracts as well. :sick:
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live. I have a store called Aldi's that I go to, eggs are .69 cents a dozen. Milk was $1.99/gallon last time too :happy: Not every place has them though ... they're mostly in the southeast and midwest. The local grocery store has eggs for 1.48/dozen, and that's more than my broke butt is willing to pay!

Not all Aldis have the same pricing. For instance, in SC, the eggs are $1.49, and milk $3.69 a gallon!