Price of eggs

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob

^^^Absolutely this. Nutritious too.

Well a dozen free range large eggs in the UK are about £2.85 from Tesco. In today's dollars, that's about $4.66.

But, I agree, you've got to be an egg snob.
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    At my aldi, eggs vary from $1.09-1.89. I've had eggs from the farm and eggs from the store, and i can't really tell a difference. Having a super Wal-mart across the street helps keep prices low. Eggs and milk are both loss leaders for both chains. I buy half gallons of milk for $1.89.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I pay ~$4/dozen for eggs from a local farm where the chickens are pastured and able to forage. Delicious.

#EggSnob

<3 I own 13 chickens. My cost ( for feed) is $1.63 and $2.57 per dozen eggs. The local farm market charges $4 per dozen for them. I cannot remember when I ate an egg that was more than a week old.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I get them at the farmers market for $3.50/dozen. They are from free range chickens and I happen to live near the person that sells them at our local farmers market and get eggs from her year round. (the farmers market closes from the first weekend in November to the last weekend in March). Well worth the price and quality of the eggs. There is a difference in taste. It is a bargain even at that price. Low calorie, high protein per serving.
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I live in Iowa-Aldi's is just down the street from me actually. This was at Hy-Vee though and I didn't fell like making the trip anywhere else at 5:30 at night. I really should get back into the day off shopping trip with a LIST and coupons in hand!

Hy-Vee is super expensive. I get Eggs at Walmart for $1.60. My mom/stepdad have chickens and give me eggs every time I see them. They really are delicious!
  • Sean_The_IT_Guy
    Options

#EggSnob

<3 I own 13 chickens. My cost ( for feed) is $1.63 and $2.57 per dozen eggs. The local farm market charges $4 per dozen for them. I cannot remember when I ate an egg that was more than a week old.

What do you pay for feed? I have 8 hens who go through a $16 (25kg) bag of feed in just under a month. That works out to about a dollar a dozen in the summer and slightly more in the winter when they don't lay as often.

My hens also free-range about the yard for about 2-5 hours a day (more in the summer, less in the winter) so they eat a lot of grass and bugs and whatever else they find. I also give them most of the waste that would end up in the compost, and then I compost what comes out of them for a headstart on the composting process.
  • latewinter
    Options
    i don't pay anything for eggs my boyfriends grandfather has a load of chickens. and milk is like £1 for 4 pints which lasts us a whole week unless i have an urge for cereal (i try to stick to porridge, i find it uses less milk lol). but if push comes to a shove i get 2 dozen eggs for £2.50 which is fairly reasonable imo and yes they are free range. i can also get a 12 kg sack of carrots for £2 and a 12kg sack of potatoes for £5 -£10 depending on what kind of potatoes they are and how well the crop did :) Pays to shop around
  • Haunted_Hiker
    Haunted_Hiker Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    2.08 would be a sale price here, can't get a dozen eggs for less than 2.99 here
  • featherbrained
    featherbrained Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I spend roughly $52/mo for feed (that's 200#) And I get an average of 15 eggs a day. In addition to pelleted feed, I buy 1 bag of 7grain scratch per month during the winter, for extra energy to keep them warm, and they free range the majority of each day, turning my compost pile and picking up what they can find. I grind all the shells from the eggs I use and feed back to them for a pure source of calcium.

My coop is a repurposed horse stall that I put about $40 of hardware cloth on. My nesting boxes are stackable Sterilite bins I picked up at wally's world on clearance for $3 ea. My roosts are made of scrapped 2x4s. My bedding I get by the one ton for free from my brother who is a tree guy ;)
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    We buy the 36 pack from Sams Club... $5. Otherwise we would be buying a dozen every 3 days. Between breakfast for the family and hard boiled for snacks...
  • Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    We have an Aldi's here in Baltimore, Maryland but I have only been to it a couple times. Their prices are a lot lower than others. I have usually picked up my eggs at Wal Mart. The 18 count of Grade A Large eggs for $2.68. I should go back to Aldi's again to see what else they got.
  • CEHayes73
    CEHayes73 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    In atlantic Canada here, and I could pay close to $4/dozen at the grocery store, but a local farmer sells gorgeous farm fresh eggs for $3.25/doz.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    locally produced* is 1.5 - 1.7 BD (Bahraini dinars) for 30

*by that I include Saudi eggs because Saudi's so close

imported can be as much as 4 BD for 6. I think that's the price of the omega 3 eggs.

I stick to locally produced eggs.
  • krouse83
    krouse83 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I think the price of most staple food items has risen. It's also highly annoying when you see all the frozen pizza/ready meals lining the freezers for £1-1.50 a pop. I'm not food bashing btw I just think it's a bit messed up.

I agree. The price for fruits and veggies have gone up considerably over the past few months yet the price for frozen and processed foods seem to be staying the same if not declining at times. It makes eating healthy a bit pricey, but its worth it. You can also find some great prices on fruit and veggies at the multicultural markets (plus their price on fish is simply AMAZING!). Oh and I just paid about $1.29 for a dozen eggs the other day. I'm in the Northern VA/ DC area.
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Come to Canada, eggs where I buy them, the cheapest I can get them are 3.99.

That's not a "Canada" thing, that's a "where you are" thing. Generic eggs are half that price in our local stores.

What the hell part of Canada are you from where they are cheaper than that?!?!? :laugh:

The cheapest eggs I've ever gotten here (in Ontario, Canada) were at Shoppers Drug Mart - a dozen American Grade A eggs for $1.99 ON SALE ONLY. I prefer to buy Canadian products when I can, so regular Canadian Grade A eggs that I buy from any place close (grocery store or corner store) are about $3.65 - $3.99 per dozen. I've seen free-range eggs in local grocers at about $6.99 for half a dozen :noway:

I do have quails at home however that give me about an egg a day :ohwell: But my boyfriend and I go through a lot of eggs in a week, so I'll be eating those quail eggs plus 2 dozen regular chicken eggs each week.
  • _AlabamaSlamma_
    Options
    I think the price of most staple food items has risen. It's also highly annoying when you see all the frozen pizza/ready meals lining the freezers for £1-1.50 a pop. I'm not food bashing btw I just think it's a bit messed up.

I agree. The price for fruits and veggies have gone up considerably over the past few months yet the price for frozen and processed foods seem to be staying the same if not declining at times. It makes eating healthy a bit pricey, but its worth it. You can also find some great prices on fruit and veggies at the multicultural markets (plus their price on fish is simply AMAZING!). Oh and I just paid about $1.29 for a dozen eggs the other day. I'm in the Northern VA/ DC area.

My family goes through 15 doz. eggs from Sam's Club in about 2 weeks. They went from $22 a few weeks ago to $28 last week. Crazy.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I raise my own chickens and love their eggs. In winter, as the sun is out for fewer hours each day, the girls go from laying one egg every day to one egg every week or two. This is natural, and even artificial light that is used by mass-producers doesn't bring production completely back to the normal high level experienced during longer days.

In November I got 15-18 eggs per day; now I get 4-5 eggs per day. In addition, keep in mind that it costs about .86 per day to feed my flock of 17 during warmer days when they can forage. With snow on the ground, I have to supplement their food with additional grains as they need a layer of fat to stay warm.

Hope this sheds some light on why eggs are so expensive.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Depends where you live. I have a store called Aldi's that I go to, eggs are .69 cents a dozen. Milk was $1.99/gallon last time too :happy: Not every place has them though ... they're mostly in the southeast and midwest. The local grocery store has eggs for 1.48/dozen, and that's more than my broke butt is willing to pay!

danmit- My Aldi's are .89 cents. BOO.