Weightlifting at home -can you get the same results?

Options
Can you get the same results that you would at the gym - weightlifting? Specifically for women. Any tips and resources that would help?

Pictures if you want to share.

Replies

• mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Of course you can as long as you're doing the right exercises/have the right weights for you to use.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have a bench, rack, barbell and plates. I love being able to walk into my home gym and lift. I started with Stronglifts 11 months ago and now I'm researching other programs to change things up.

I also added a treadmill this past month. My pic shows the gym. Have fun!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do that drives consistent work gives the best result. Working out at home gives me less focus so, for me, the answer is no.
    It depends on objectives, motivation and logistics.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of space and equipment, really.

All you really need is:
    1. a power rack with an incorporated pull-up bar
    2. a flat bench
    3. an olympic weight set

That will keep you going for years with a little creativity. Amazon has racks at very reasonable prices, and the bench and weights you can often find on craigslist.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    of course. you just need to have the right equipment. most people would join a gymdue to the cost and space necessary for setting up a home gym.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Yes, but you may want to pay for one session with a personal trainer to make sure your form is good. Good luck! :drinker:
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

All you really need is:
    2. a flat bench
    3. an olympic weight set

That will keep you going for years with a little creativity. Amazon has racks at very reasonable prices, and the bench and weights you can often find on craigslist.

^This

Scout around for secondhand equipment in decent condition. Take your time and snag a few bargains and you could have a sweet set-up by the time you've finished for minimal cost (certainly cheaper than gym membership fees in the long run...)

Ultimately, it's what you do with the set-up that's important. If you have dedication and consistency and build a good base with a good routine, there's nothing to stop you being a badass...
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options

All you really need is:
    2. a flat bench
    3. an olympic weight set

+1

I pieced mine together getting these things off of Craigslist and some from Amazon.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    It depends how far you want to go. I've been able to get great results with just dumbbells up to 25lbs and dvds. I did the gym thing for years and never got the results I have now. As I get stronger, I'll look into getting heavier weights and probably invest in a bench, but for now I'm doing pretty good with very basic equipment. Also you'll want to get a heavy duty workout mat.
  • TdaniT
    TdaniT Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I don't have the space to put the equipment needed unfortunately. My husband wants to get a Bowflex Extreme 2 SE for this reason. I just saw one on Craigslist for $150 and I am tempted....
  • DJMIKEY1
    DJMIKEY1 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    For the past year I have used nothing but resistance bands...so yes.
  • ali_b83
    ali_b83 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    The "same"? Depends on the equipment you have. Still get great results, sure! I only have dumbbells and my own body weight, but about 75% of my results have been done at home.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    For the past year I have used nothing but resistance bands...so yes.

ditto - and my own bodyweight of course and a pull-up bar.
    Not better than or inferior to - just an alternative approach and viewpoint.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    You can get comparable results, yes, but training without access to a squat rack and other equipment you tend to find only in a gym requires having to go about it in a COMPLETELY different way. Simply adapting a barbell program to dumbbells won't cut it.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yes, weight is weight. Also, women don't work any differently than men in terms of what we need to do to build muscle. Since you're new to this, I HIGHLY recommend you buy and read New Rules of Lifting for Women. It's a very accessible book with tons of information for women on lifting weight and dieting (does a lot of myth busting too, which is great). I would start here no matter what you endup doing.
    Yes. I have a bench, rack, barbell and plates. I love being able to walk into my home gym and lift. I started with Stronglifts 11 months ago and now I'm researching other programs to change things up.

I also added a treadmill this past month. My pic shows the gym. Have fun!

Take a look at Wendler's 5/3/1. Excellent program.