Pregnancy question

Options
sculley
sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
I want to make absolute sure I am getting enough calories per day. If your pregnant you should be eating an extra 300 calories a day...ok is that in addition to what your BMR states.

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would think so, unless your calculation for your BMR included your pregnancy. I know there were recent studies out debunking the old "eat for two" theory that I followed with all 3 of my kids. BOY, wish I knew then what I know now. More than anything, it is definitely about the quality of the calories, not the quantity.

FYI, my sister in law is a vegetarian and ate a lot of peanut butter during her pregnancy to get protein. Her son turned out to be highly allergic to peanuts and she found a study linking her intake of nuts to the allergy. Guess you can get too much of a good thing.
  • sculley
    Options
    Well my diet is pretty diverse...this baby keeps wanting me to eat sweets though lol so i have been running from that. But I eat a cereal in the morning that gives me my daily intake of numerous vitamins calcium and folic acid included. always try to eat fruit as snacks my favorite right now is Macintosh apples and I always try to have one or two veggies with lunch and dinner.
  • ElmFive10
    ElmFive10 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I can't see your diary but just remember that 300 calories isn't hard to come by. You could have a glass of milk and a glass of orange juice to hit that. (Thats how I upped my calories) Most peoples issues are with eating too much so if you're concerned about it you are probably doing just fine! 25-30 lbs is a good amount to gain over the whole 9 months. I believe the 300 is in addition to your BMR but the general rule is just 300 more than you're used to eating. Congratulations!
  • sculley
    Options
    Thanks for everyones help...I have actually been intaking 200 calories less than I am supposed to...I am not having a hard time fufilling it I just didn't realize.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    TabiHerbalifeCoach Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I never counted calories when I was pregnant. Both of my kids were REALLY HEALTHY, 9 lbs 14ounces for my daughter and 8 lbs 13 ounces for my daughter, My pregnancy with my daughter wasn't all that great, but with lessons learned my pregnancy with my son i LOST weight. I ate healthly, and that is all i was concerned with. I have heard you eat 300 more calories. but as long as you are eating healthy food and normal portions with your prenatals, you'll be fine :D
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    My DR said an extra 300, of HEALTHY calories.