100 days on MFP (Slow losers unite!)

Options
myurav
myurav Posts: 165 Member
So, today is my 101st day on MFP. Some stats to start off: I'm 5'7, down 11 lbs, currently at 26% BF (from 30% BF). I just finished up my first round of 5/3/1 and really enjoyed it, so I'll continue. My clothes are getting loose (a coworker the other day called me out on my weight loss - it was...flattering and embarrassing at the same time lol), I can see outlines of my abs, I looooove flexing my shoulders, and I still incorporate cardio (never understood why some people believe that you can't do both).

I still have many goals to attain, but I figured I'd post because I have seen so many posts recently that basically say "Help! I've only lost 5 lbs this month!" or "I've been stuck for two weeks, ack!" or "Oh no!! I've gained 2 lbs, WHHYYYYYYYY?"

While some people lose 11 lbs in a month, that's just not how I roll. I have lost weight before and gained it back (story of everyone here, right?), and I was determined to change my mentality about food. Of those 100 days, I've spent over 25 of them away from home (work travel and life travel). I've tracked every day. On average, I've lost less than a lb a week, and I fluctuate all the time, but it's been a downward trend.

So what have I done? Bullet points work best:

1. I always eat above my BMR (over 1510 cals) and net over 1200 per day - I've set my macros to 40% carbs, 30% protein, 30% fat.

2. I exercise almost every day because I WANT TO - if I don't feel like exercising on a day, I'll take it off. It's good to give your body a break! Plus, allowing yourself not to go motivates you more when you make the decision to go back.

3. I don't freak out if I go over (i.e. ate the most delicious meal ever in Portland, went 600 cals over net, and guess what? I looked THE SAME the next morning, and my calorie count reset! It's a miracle! Call the Vatican!), and usually track weekly calories over daily.

4. I tell myself that I am consciously making a decision to eat this food - I am responsible for MY CHOICES and no one else. And so, if I want to eat a piece of chocolate, I make that decision, go to mouth-party heaven, and then, MOVE ON.

5. BE CONSISTENT AND BE PATIENT!

The last bullet point is what has kept me on track - it's important to remember that you're incorporating this into your life and you have to find what works for you. For people who get discouraged easily, you have to remember to be patient and trust this system that works. Stay on track, but don't be afraid of food (if I find myself debating whether or not I can fit a piece of fruit into my cals, I eat the damn fruit because ain't nobody got time for that), and be nice to yourself! Food shame is part of the reason why I'm here, which is ridiculous! Eating should NOT be shameful!! I love food (don't think I could live without it), so it's nice to see it loving me back.

Anyways, I'm continuing, slowly, but surely - feel free to add me as a friend if you like, and for those of us who take time, just remember how much better you'll feel tomorrow when you start today.

TL; DR: Be patient with weight loss, take responsibility for your actions, food is delicious.

Replies

• carolyn0613
    carolyn0613 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Like your advice. I'm also trying to lose weight slowly. It was 1lb a week, now I'm closer to my goal, it's 1/2 lb now. I'm just 7 to 10 lbs away and I'm in no rush. I've been having a little break and maintaining since the summer but back now to get a little in the 'bank' for cristmas
  • marfhutch
    marfhutch Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Massive well done!We have almost the same stats so can defo agree with all of this! Even though it's been so slow, this is the longest I've stuck at it and the first time I have really believed I will get to my goal :)

Ive lost 9 pounds in 70 days logging (longer just lifting), and dropped over 3% bf :) slow and steady!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Way to go! I am losing very slowly as well. Actually, right now I am up because I started lifting heavy and I'm retaining water.

Good for you. And thanks for the reminder that we can do it slowly and that sometimes patience is key.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!