Lose Weight By Walking?

Options
2»

Replies

• Aleta7
    Aleta7 Posts: 92
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight. I walk three days a week for two to two and a half hours. On 1200 cal. works for me.
  • rgugs13
    rgugs13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I :heart: my Fitbit as well! I aim for 10,000 steps and 15 flights of stairs a day. I'm training for a test where I have to walk 3 miles in 45 minutes carrying a 45 pound pack. That means walking a minimum of 4 mph, and I'm short (5'3"), so I really have to book it to do that. I jog a little a couple times a week on the treadmill to push my heart rate and stretch out my legs a bit, but overall I've found walking and listening to an audiobook more enjoyable as a form of cardio. I was doing Focus T25 before, with lots of plyometrics and HIIT, and it was killing me, and I was dreading the workouts. I like the challenge of them, but think I'll save it for when there is less weight stressing out my joints! I lost 4 pounds last month, which was right on target with my MFP calorie deficit. Bumped my goal up to 2 pounds a week for December.

I just started strength training again, and also find walking a great way to work out soreness.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I just walk, not only is it fresh air but you get to see things, say "Good morning" to other people and generally just feel good. I have to have a target, so it is off to the shops or into town
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    I think walking is great exercise. Running can wear out your knees. I know several people who have had to have knee replacement because of running. I walk daily and it sure works for me. Log your calories and drink lots of water.
    Running wearing out your knees is a myth. There has been good research showing that the Cartilage actually gets stronger protecting the knee joint. Your friends knee replacements are unlikely to have anything to do with running

On to walking that's all I did for the first 3 months it's a great exercise
  • Patovader
    Patovader Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I lost the majority of my weight with walking, I did 3 to 4 miles 5 times a week and ate at a reasonable deficit (circa 100 to 150 under my BMR), I ate back my exercise calories when I was hungry, if not I banked them for an indulgent weekend :)
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I found walking a great help, but as others have said the main thing is to eat at a deficit and LOG ACCURATELY. If you don't log accurately you are fooling yourself on calorie intake! Its easy to say - oh, that walk is about one biscuit - but I bet it isn't :wink:
  • angie007az
    angie007az Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I did not begin exercise, even walking, until I had lost over 90 pounds.

Exercise helps, but most weight loss comes from calorie deficit.

About 2/3 of my exercise comes from walking. I walk over 5 miles per day, everyday, 7 days per week, and use the elliptical in the gym at work M-F. My fitbit is my best tool for moving more.

That's awesome. When I was in high school, I walked to school and back which was a 10 mile total per day. I didn't have an ounce of fat on me. I never even thought of that mileage being my best friend, but it sure was. When I was bored, I would run the distance so I could get home faster or get to school faster. :smile:
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Power walking + calorie deficit = 60lbs for me! I still have about 15lbs to go, but I've begun doing SL 5x5 to help me along.

And walking outdoors is great for stress levels, and helps me get going whenever I feel unmotivated in life! Go for it and enjoy. :flowerforyou:
  • schonsdragon
    schonsdragon Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    You most definetly can lose weight walking, I have. As long as you are active doing something that you enjoy it will help you get healthy and you will continue it. If you don't care to run but really like walking then by all means walk!

I walk go for a 1 hour walk every morning. I started at 1 mile and now walk a little over 4 miles with my next goal to get to over 5 miles an hours. It helps if you have an area that you like to walk, I have a trail that has a pretty diverse landscape that I really like. What I like best is the peaceful sense it gives me. Yes, there are times that I feel unmovitated to go but once I am out there I am always glad I am there.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    do 1 hour of fast walking, will i lose weight?

See ticker below..
  • joyswift3
    joyswift3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    good to read your comment about pressure on the knees, it's my knees that makes walking difficult but just the small amount I have already lost is making a difference.
  • StephanieL14
    StephanieL14 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I've been walking every day and it definitely helps me stay in a caloric deficit. I use the MapMyWalk app to track and it syncs with MFP automatically.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking burns calories.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit I use it when I am not going to gym and aim for 10,000 steps - some of it at high intensity but not all

It earns me 350 - 500 calories a day

The losing weight part is down to the calorie deficit

The toning up and being fit and strong part is down to exercise
  • joyswift3
    joyswift3 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I now found that having lost half a stone walking is a lot easier as my knees don't hurt so much, it's a great way to get exercise and doesn't cost anything - I also find gardening a good exercise to do and enjoy it!!!
  • njmark72
    njmark72 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    YES! All you need to do is walk and watch your calories. I am living proof of that... Over the last 5 months I have lost over 80lbs by walking and keeping my calorie intake in check.

When I started I was walking 3-4 miles a day (in an hour) and eating <1500 calories a day.
    Now I walk between 4-9 miles a day (between 50 mins and 2.25 hours) and eat < 1800 calories a day.

Good luck...
    Mark
  • Binky_Muffin
    Binky_Muffin Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love to walk. I live in a cold climate and walking is something I can do even during the snowiest and coldest days. Running, well, I'm not a fan of running on soft snow because I've sprained my ankle several times.

Anyhow, you will lose weight walking and eating at a deficit. You can kick it up a notch by increasing your pace and maybe incorporating some hills into your route. You'll definitely feel those glutes.

I lost 10lbs in four months by eating at a deficit and walking as my main form of exercise. I got great results. Actually, these are the best results I've ever gotten. I attribute this to eating at a deficit. This is coming from a person who's been a long time runner and has completed several triathlons/half-marathons. My whole mindset re: exercise has changed. As long as I watch my caloric intake, I do not need to exercise like a madwoman. If anything, I feel much more in control of my weight.

I am pregnant right now and I would say 90% of my exercise is walking. We have an active dog and DH enjoys walking. It's something we do together and something we can continue doing with the little one.