how to get started....

Options
Ok I know that you have to excercise and eat right....all that jazz BUT how do i get started??

I have been trying to do my own thing for the past 5 weeks now I have been gaining and losing the same 3 pounds!

somebody help me out.........whats the first step? what did you do 1st?

Replies

• freeatlast20
    freeatlast20 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    start logging every piece of food you put in your mouth....and i mean everything. Weigh out portions and try to cut the fat you consume. Drink lots of water and if you haven't been exercising any just start walking...that is one exercise everyone can do and it cost nothing.....you can do this...good luck in your weight loss journey...Oh and remember its a life style change....Not a DIET! Give it a few weeks and you will never want to go back to the old way of eating....I know I cant anymore...makes me sick....:drinker: :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • suzikelley
    suzikelley Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    The first thing I did was get rid of all the junk in my house that I knew I wouldn't be able to resist. Then I went to the grocery and bought plenty of whole grain bread, fresh fruits and veggies, low calorie snacks, lean meats, etc. Log EVERYTHING you eat and drink. Drink at least 8 glasses of water a day. I have a water bottle that is equivalent to 3 glasses of water... and I just keep filling it up, and I take it with me wherever I go. And get in exercise some way, whether it be a brisk walk, an aerobics dvd, etc. - and log that into your exercise log. If you can do these and stay within your calories allowance, you're golden! :-)
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Incremental changes add up over time - try changing one thing, then once you've got that down change another, and then another and soon enough you'll see the lbs come off. If you try to change everything at once it can be overwhelming and it is very easy to fall off track.

Start with exercise - make time to do 30 mins of exercise a day. Walking, stairs, hiking, swimming, whatever you like to do. Even if it's just stuff around the house, get moving.

Also - as freeatlast20 mentioned - log absolutely everything you put in your mouth. Even if you are way over your cals at first, it's good to get a feel for what foods are worth what calories, what is most filling, and how to make the best of your daily goals. I eat a *TON* of food for about 1400 calories, because I am always hungry, but it means I have to make really sensible choices on what I do chose to eat. I could easily spend all 1400 calories on a smallish meal if I wasn't careful.

Once that is done - try getting your water under control. 8 glasses a day! Then just keep checking things off... One by one you'll notice the changes. You'll start feeling better, more energized, less lethargic and groggy. And the lbs will start to come off.

Good luck!!
    -Meag
  • mobymarsh
    mobymarsh Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    i started by logging what i had before i started my new eating plan just to see how much i did or didn't eat. then go from there but remember to drink losts of water to get rid of all the bad stuff from your system.

2522878.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    just curious are you weighing at the same time every time? your weight can vary three pounds or more during the day. as far as eating, dont think of this as a diet, it needs to be a lofestyle change. just eat healthy amd occationally if you want pizza eat it, just in moderation. although i myself have started to notice that a couple of slices of pizza makes me feel sluggish; and i remind myself of this when i think i want it.
  • MonsteRawr
    MonsteRawr Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    For me, it started the day that I got up off the couch, put on sweats, and went running for the first time. I'm not sure what happened, but something clicked that day; it's like my life was finally lined up in a way that was ready for a change. After that, I just threw myself into it and the rest was history.

A couple bits of advice, though.

*Don't be discouraged if you don't find yourself suddenly 100% the health nut. You're a human being, and thus, imperfect. There will be bumps, there will be mistakes. Just know that tomorrow is a new day and another chance to try again.

*One of the things that REALLY helped me was when my husband got on board, too. I don't care how strong you are or how bad you want it, no one can sit there and munch on a salad while the rest of their family chows down on wings. If your whole family is making the right lifestyle changes, not only will your whole family be healthier, but you'll be setting yourself up for success.

*Don't try to do a complete 180 in the way you eat on Day 1. Yes, you'll want to start transitioning out the crap and introducing the good stuff, but if you don't like the food you're eating, you won't stick with it. Baby steps.

*Drink water!

*Find exercises that you enjoy and can be accomplished without much disruption of your life. That's one of the reasons I switched to running instead of the gym, because it was so much easier to fit into my life. My favorite run on days off is to run to my husband's work (only a few miles away) right before lunch, then he takes me home and we enjoy a meal together.

I hope a few of my ramblings were helpful to you. Just remember, baby steps. Now go kick some *kitten*!

Best of luck!
  • SAMMIJAE
    Options
    great advice! Thank you all so much.

sounds like starting small is the key along with logging and lots of water!

Dafrog I wasnt weighing my self at the same time. I did it the same day each week but I didnt know that it could change like that. GOOD TO KNOW! THANKS
  • vcatmb44
    vcatmb44 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    i started off with a body cleanse. I dont know if you have a vitamen world where you live but i get THE CLEANER WOMENS FORMULA, its only 15 dollars and all natural. You take it for a week and it cleans out all the toxins in your body and i do it 2x's a year and lose 5-10 ponds of yuck in a week. That will jumpstart you and cleanse you so u can now start eating healthy and excercising. Good luck
  • lupuslady
    Options
    It took me about three weeks to really get into this. I had too much junk stuff in my freezor and pantry. I ate some and gave away the rest. It really took me about a month to clean out the house and buy the correct foods. Try and stay positive and record everything you eat. You will be amazed at the things you eat that are high in calories or fat. After awhile it start to be natural for you. I do not weigh everyday, my wt flucuates so much it is too depressing. It will work out, keep at it!!!! GOOD LUCK
  • SAMMIJAE
    Options
    thanks ladies!!!!