Borderline type 2 Diabetes

Options
Hi folks, I have just been told by my doctor that if I don’t change my lifestyle I WILL develop type 2 Diabetes. Wake up call time…

I know I have to increase my exercise (sedentary, stressful office job, recreation: movies, reading, watching TV – you know couch potato stuff) so I’m building that up with brisk walks at lunchtime, using the stairs instead of lift and building up to jogging over a month (my exercise goal).

But what food should I eat? A Caveat: I’m a proper vegetarian (no meat of any kind pass these lips, at, all) so no salmon, oily fish etc. I have checked the food I should be eating and it seems largely right (plenty of beans, greens, eggs and complex carbs). My big downfalls? Cheese and lager.

Has anyone that’s been in a similar situation, no heck! Has anyone any suggestions about diet & exercise plans that’ll keep me away from the dreaded type 2 diabetes?

Replies

• lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    Eat less and move more, I did not cut out any particular foods but adjusted portions and reversed steroid induced type 2 diabetes.
  • RaineyLaney
    RaineyLaney Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    If you really don't want to end up diabetic (which I would hope you don't, it is not an easy road at all) here are two sites to help you.

www.bloodsugar101.com

This site will fill you in on lots dealing with diabetes and how to lower blood sugars, the right foods to eat etc.

This next site is a MFP group. Lots of folks with some good sound advice.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/1772-type-2-diabetes-support-group

One thing you will learn is that no 2 people are the same and getting blood sugars down is different for all. The main factors we all seem to agree on is lower the carb intake (and get your carbs from veggies/fruit more than starchy carbs), and higher fat, protein diets. And get up and move. Cardio is the best for lowering blood sugars. Even if just going for a 30 minute walk.

You say you don't eat meat, but looks like you will eat eggs and cheese. Both good for getting the protein, and also nuts are a good fat with protein. Just watch the amount you eat on nuts.

Do your homework, and read, read read all you can on diabetes. If you were told to test your blood, then do it. Also remember, if you have a fasting blood count that is low, that doesn't mean it stays low all day, it is very wise to test 1 hr and 2 hrs after eating meals. Find what is spiking your sugar and then learn what foods work and what doesn't.

Some diabetic's can eat a banana, some a half, some none, some can eat oatmeal, some 1/2 serving, some none. Some can eat an apple, some none, etc. It is an individual disease, but has many factors that are common.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The cheese is probably what's getting you. Also, do you eat vegetable oils? (intramyocellular lipid leads to insulin resistance) Check into the work of Dr. Neal Barnard, the founder of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM).

There have been many that have reversed their diabetes so that they have no symptoms with a proper diet.

Here's some great resources and recipes:
    http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/diet-and-diabetes-recipes-for-success
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I have followed a diabetes diet with great success. But, I eat meat. I am curious to see what others are telling you. I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes also. I was told to eat better and exercise more. Problem is I already do those two things. Diabetes runs in my family and I am thinking that there is not much that I can do personally, to change things.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    The cheese is probably what's getting you. Also, do you eat vegetable oils? (intramyocellular lipid leads to insulin resistance) Check into the work of Dr. Neal Barnard, the founder of the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine (PCRM).

There have been many that have reversed their diabetes so that they have no symptoms with a proper diet.

Sounds legit.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I have followed a diabetes diet with great success. But, I eat meat. I am curious to see what others are telling you. I was diagnosed with borderline diabetes also. I was told to eat better and exercise more. Problem is I already do those two things. Diabetes runs in my family and I am thinking that there is not much that I can do personally, to change things.

You can change your fat to fat free mass ratio and my reading suggests this might improve things.
  • neanderthin
    Options

You can change your fat to fat free mass ratio and my reading suggests this might improve things.
    True dat.
  • RaineyLaney
    Options

Cheese does not make you have diabetes or make a person with diabetes worse, It is a protein and protein is not bad. Also you said many have reversed tehir diabetes. You can not reverse it. You can control it, but once you have it, it is with you for life. There is no cure.
  • RaineyLaney
    Options

Sounds legit.

A diabetic can eat cheese and lots of it (just don't get constipated). Cheese is a good protein and diabetic's need to raise their protein and fat and lower their carbs to get their blood sugars under control. You also can not reverse diabetes. Once you have it, you have it for life. You can however controll it, but it takes a lot of work to do. I know, I am a controlled diabetic. I use to be on meds, now am med free and my Blood sugars range between mid 70's to mid 80's. You want your Blood sugars between 70 - 100.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Cheese does not make you have diabetes or make a person with diabetes worse, It is a protein and protein is not bad. Also you said many have reversed tehir diabetes. You can not reverse it. You can control it, but once you have it, it is with you for life. There is no cure.

You can possibly reverse and address certain borderline and pre-diabetic states and even some early diabetes, apparently. There are loads of examples in the literature and it's a recognized focus of treatment protocols from Hopkins or the Mayo Clinic.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options

Sounds legit.

A diabetic can eat cheese and lots of it (just don't get constipated). Cheese is a good protein and diabetic's need to raise their protein and fat and lower their carbs to get their blood sugars under control. You also can not reverse diabetes. Once you have it, you have it for life. You can however controll it, but it takes a lot of work to do. I know, I am a controlled diabetic. I use to be on meds, now am med free and my Blood sugars range between mid 70's to mid 80's. You want your Blood sugars between 70 - 100.
    Try Neal Barnard's diet. People can eliminate all symptoms of the disease with a proper fruit and veggie based diet. Cheese is loaded with fat. Google "intramyocellular lipid"
  • neanderthin
    Options

Sounds legit.

Try Neal Barnard's diet. People can eliminate all symptoms of the disease with a proper fruit and veggie based diet. Cheese is loaded with fat. Google "intramyocellular lipid"
    Corn ,canola, coconut, olive are all oil as opposed to a percentage in cheese.........maybe you should stop consuming fat of any source if your worried that consuming it will promote diabetes. Funny enough in normal quantities intramyocellular lipids is actually a great source of muscle ATP (energy)........ amazing. Oh, don't look up, the sky is falling.:wink:
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making the changes you're already making and good luck with your continuing success. Have you spoken with your doctor about what you should be eating and where your macros would be? If not your primary care doctor, I would speak to a nutritionist as they would be able to make the best suggestions.

You can continue to enjoy what you enjoy, you may just have to learn to balance your enjoyment a bit more.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    Hi folks, I have just been told by my doctor that if I don’t change my lifestyle I WILL develop type 2 Diabetes. Wake up call time…

I know I have to increase my exercise (sedentary, stressful office job, recreation: movies, reading, watching TV – you know couch potato stuff) so I’m building that up with brisk walks at lunchtime, using the stairs instead of lift and building up to jogging over a month (my exercise goal).

But what food should I eat? A Caveat: I’m a proper vegetarian (no meat of any kind pass these lips, at, all) so no salmon, oily fish etc. I have checked the food I should be eating and it seems largely right (plenty of beans, greens, eggs and complex carbs). My big downfalls? Cheese and lager.

Has anyone that’s been in a similar situation, no heck! Has anyone any suggestions about diet & exercise plans that’ll keep me away from the dreaded type 2 diabetes?

About 9-10 years ago the same thing happened to me. I was diagnosed as having hyperinsulinema ( high insulin levels), and told that if I stayed on that track, I WOULD be diabetic. My doctor was vague as to what to do...she basically said to follow the maintenance phase of atkins ( that was 50g net carbs per day). I lost roughly 20lbs in 2 months, and got pregnant. That baby is now 8, and every blood test I have done since has been negative for diabetes.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    cheese :) and eating after lager..the rest seems fine, just eat smaller amounts
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I was insulin resistant and 'prediabetic' a year ago.

Was.
  • Darlekins
    Options

Sounds legit.

neanderthin - you forgot the sarcasm emoticon for people who might think you are actually seriously condoning anything associated with PCRM!

PCRM=PETA Definite agenda there, so of course Barnard is going to recommend against cheese and meat, both of which are great choices for diabetics (and pre-diabetics, since having pre-diabetes is like being a little bit pregnant)

Purchase a blood glucose meter and some strips. ReliOn (Walmart) is a cheap, accurate one.

Get an initial reading. Eat some cheese. Test again. What are your results?
    Get an initial reading. Eat some fruit. Test again. What are your results?

Now, based on your individual response to both, which is the better food for you to eat? with repeated testing, you're going to find that CARBS raise blood sugar. Fruits, starchy vegetables and grains raise blood sugar. Fats, leafy green vegetables and meats do not, or do so minimally.

Cheese is an almost perfect combo of fats and protein. It's delicious. I eat it every day. My blood sugar is tightly controlled...not cured because like Raineylainey said, there is no cure (or someone is missing their Nobel) and I'd compare my lipid panel to anyone eating a vegan diet.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Sounds legit.

*snort*
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Sounds legit.

Type 1 can not be reversed, but Type 2 is reversible.
  • SoftHeat
    Options

I personally have not been in this situation, but my mother has. My mother is an incredibly picky eater - doesn't like many fruits or veggies. She simply cut back on "white" food. She ate whole grain bread instead of white, & switched from regular to diet soda. She began walking 30 minutes a day, & used portion control. She didn't make any major or crazy changes & dropped 20lbs. When she went back for her follow up exam the doctor told her that she was no longer pre-diabetic.

Good luck!!!