So damn confused and fustrated.

Options
I was on here a while ago and pretty much didnt have any success because I kept getting so overwhelmed with all the conflicting information. I am about 153llb, I am 5ft 1 female. I need to lose about 27lb.

One side of the coin I read stuff about not counting calories and just concentrating on the quality of the food I eat, such as paleo or LCHF etc and on the other side I have counting calories which does give some scope to the odd slice of pizza or what ever else I like. I just don't what to do?

I think my problem is consistency and just sticking to something. I lose about a stone on weight watchers but now I want to knuckle down and get the last 27llb off.

Clearly I need support and motivation and some way of checking in :( I am so angry with myself I have been trying this for the best part of a year.

I work out with a personal trainer and also trying to get into crossfit. I just need to get control of whats going into my mouth. Any advice? Where should I start?

Replies

• kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    hi there.....feel free to add me as a friend and I will tell you what I did to look like this...<<<<<....I am more than happy to help...:)
  • tknuzum1984
    Options
    Small conscious effort to change habits is where I would start. Do count calories so you know where you stand, but if you want a snack consciously eat a veggie, or fruit rather than a candy bar, or pop. Drink water instead of soda. Start small and be consistent, and the rest will come. It's a marathon, not a sprint. And jump back on the wagon if you fall off. DOn't let one bad snack ruin the whole day.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Added :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I see you are new on MFP. The best advice? Read the links in this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1069275-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again

If you need accountability, start logging EVERYTHING in your food diary, using a food scale, and make your diary public. The best accountability for me is leaving my food diary open because I am easily embarrassed when I go over calories.
  • SISDONNAK
    SISDONNAK Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Do you know of a good nutritionist? Get a THOROUGH check up (blood work, thyroid, metabolism, cholesterol, pressure, etc.) I am at an age where it is extremely difficult to lose! I'm actually HAPPY to maintain. My nutritionist is checking me every 6 weeks and it seems to be working. It's not the kind of weight loss I experienced in my younger days, but knowing that it's coming down slowly is good news for me. A good check up should give your doctor an idea of what's going on in your body.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Start with counting calories -- first, put in your goals in MFPs info for you, and MFP will calculate how much you should eat per day. If it gives you 1200 calories, go back and change your goals a bit, you are probably going to need to lose more slowly (0.5 - 1.0 pound per week, given your weight and how close to goal you are). I wouldn't want to live on 1200 calories a day and you'll just get cranky. Hopefully someone with all the awesome links about guides to sexypants and all that will post info.

Weight loss is calories in v. calories out (i.e. how much you eat and how much you're burning). We burn a certain amount just existing. There isn't a need to cut out any foods, really, unless there are medical reasons, and I find that depriving myself of a group of foods just makes me cranky and more prone to fall off the wagon and fail.

Now that you have your calorie goal, log everything that goes in your mouth. Weigh your food to be as accurate as possible (we tend to dramatically underestimate our calories). This will help get you educated quickly on what portion sizes really look like and it will be eye-opening probably!

I would also consider looking at body composition, not just the scale -- take your measurements (neck, upper arm, chest, waist, hips, thigh, calf are what I do) and do that at regularly - I go about 1x/month so I don't overdo it. I weigh myself daily but only count it once per week (Sunday morning, buck naked, right after getting up and morning constitutional). The daily is for me to see how my body fluctuates ;I don't get discouraged, as I know it will go up and down.

Add in exercise to help with body composition - you may find that you don't need to lose 27 pounds, you just need to gain some muscle and some tone, or a combination thereof :)

You can do this!
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I believe what calories you eat do have to count but tracking has worked for me. I feel like my daily calories are like money I have to spend each day. Do I want to buy junk or do I want to get my moneys worth. Also I can earn more by doing my workouts. That's my mindset. It might work for you. Maybe not. :bigsmile:
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    I believe what calories you eat do have to count but tracking has worked for me. I feel like my daily calories are like money I have to spend each day. Do I want to buy junk or do I want to get my moneys worth. Also I can earn more by doing my workouts. That's my mindset. It might work for you. Maybe not. :bigsmile:

Like a game.. actually an interesting concept. :)
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    there are a lot of tricks out there to help with food consumption.

i ate healthy, but i had issues with portion control. so i started eating 6 smaller meals a day. also, i'd use bowls or small plates for dinner, so i couldn't serve myself as much at once... and if i wanted more i had to go all the way to the kitchen.

pre-logging your food is good too. also, make your breakfast and lunch at night so it's ready in the morning. this will also save you time in the morning.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I'm old fashioned...I believe in eating a balanced diet rich in nutrient dense foods (veg, fruit, lean proteins, healthy fats, whole grains) and eating within my calorie requirements for whatever goal I'm trying to achieve. It's very simple and has worked forever. It's only complicated because the fitness industry has to continually sell you on something which requires demonizing certain things and ultimately complicating a very simple process.

Just get back to basics...
  • Sassyiam63
    Sassyiam63 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Tracking your intake is a great start!! Don't forget to measure that mayo or salad dressing. It's the little things that add up quickly and cause us to retain the weight. Measuring and weighing food will ensure how many servings you are eating. Set your goal on MFP to 33gms fat/day. Fat and liquor calories are harder to burn than carbs and protein.
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight by counting calories and striving to eat a balanced diet. I think counting calories and watching your macronutrient intake is a good way to start because it really gives you a good idea of what and how much you are eating.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. I was just talking to my boyfriend the other day about losing weight, and we were talking about how every day, there is a new fad diet or new weight loss personality on TV.

My advice to you would be (almost) everything in moderation. I know people have had a lot of success with LCHF, low/no carb, IF, etc. which you can try. But a good rule of thumb is not to overindulge in anything, and likewise, not to totally omit any particular food group. If you eat something and notice you don't feel your best, you may want to think about cutting it out/down and see how you feel. The closer you eat to protein and fruits/veggies (fewer processed foods), the better you will feel, but don't do that at the expense of binging on a whole cake once/week.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I think you have to figure out what works best for you, and then stick to it. This might take a little trial and error, but the only way you're going to be successful is to do what is easiest for you to maintain over the long term. It does little good to go on a "diet" and lose weight only to gain it back when you stop said diet.

As you've noted, there's a variety of different weight-loss methods regarding food, and each has it's ardent supporters. You will have people extol the virtues of eating clean, paleo and the like- it works for some people, and that's great for them. But not everyone lives the same lifestyle and consequently, what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another.

I've been overweight to varying degrees most of my life, and in the past I've fallen victim to nearly every fad diet out there... clearly, none of them worked for the long haul, otherwise I wouldn't be here! For me, what works best is the "If It Fits Your Macros" (IIFYM) approach to food. I'm a foodie, I love cooking, I LOVE baking, and I've learned that I simply can't maintain no dairy,or meat, or sugar, etc... so I'm learning moderation. And I've also found I need a lot of protein and a good amount of dietary fat in order to not overindulge in the less healthy choices within my diet.

Bottom line is, there's no one right way to do it; you just have to find what works for your lifestyle. Best of Luck! :smile:
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    Thanks for the advice :)

I am female, 5'1 and 153 what should my calorie intake be a week to lose say 1llb a week?
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    One side of the coin I read stuff about not counting calories and just concentrating on the quality of the food I eat, such as paleo or LCHF etc and on the other side I have counting calories which does give some scope to the odd slice of pizza or what ever else I like. I just don't what to do?

I think my problem is consistency and just sticking to something. I lose about a stone on weight watchers but now I want to knuckle down and get the last 27llb off.

Ok, as someone who did Atkins Induction, religiously, and PLATEAUED for months. It really IS calories-in vs. calories out. Some people have success on HFLC diets, some on LFHC diets, but not me. When you are the size that we are (I'm 5'2" and currently 130 lbs.), those simple plans don't work. Most diet plans, despite what their main focus is, work for people because THEY LIMIT CALORIES. Plain and simple.

So, my #1 suggestion is for you to find out your BMR using a site like this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and start eating at BMR.

You should expect to lose 1/2 lb. to 1 lb. per week (I don't know the conversion. Sorry!). You are small enough that, through calorie counting alone, this is the best you can expect. Personally, I've been losing about 1/2 lb. per week, since I started at 163 lbs.

Each time you lose 5-10 lbs., you'll need to recalculate your BMR or you're likely to plateau.

This can be done. You don't have far to go! Good luck to you!
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    You aren't alone. I was just talking to my boyfriend the other day about losing weight, and we were talking about how every day, there is a new fad diet or new weight loss personality on TV.

My advice to you would be (almost) everything in moderation. I know people have had a lot of success with LCHF, low/no carb, IF, etc. which you can try. But a good rule of thumb is not to overindulge in anything, and likewise, not to totally omit any particular food group. If you eat something and notice you don't feel your best, you may want to think about cutting it out/down and see how you feel. The closer you eat to protein and fruits/veggies (fewer processed foods), the better you will feel, but don't do that at the expense of binging on a whole cake once/week.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

^^This. It's better to find an approach that incorporates the foods you enjoy for long term success.
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    If your considering CrossFit, its probably the quickest way to fitness and a trim body! There is as your probably aware, a huge following of Paleo from CrossFitters. I am a huge fan of Paleo (to a point) but I struggled to get to grips with it entirely until you research it and then the confusion starts.... So, The Paleolithic Diet has a massive umbrella of just how strict you can be and how low your carbohydrate intake will be. For example, The Whole 90 website is a paleo start point of total strict detox, its a 30 day challenge of getting used to it. No salt, No Dairy, No Gluten blah blah blah. Its good, but not modern day sustainable unless your a CrossFit hermit with no friends and unhealthy addiction to avocado oil. So I looked into a few things to make my life easier and more motivated. 1) I need at least one cheat meal of absolutely anything i want per week. 2) I cant drink black coffee, I'm going to have to have milk 3) Im a chef and I would rather die than have no salt!
    Combine these together and I got a massive curry takeout once a week (providing I did a 40 minute run before)
    I ate 3 big meals a day, and snacked 3 times a day with fruit/protein shake, I used salt in cooking and I put milk in my coffee. Point is, Paleo is as strict as you want it to be, some eat chocolate and have sugary energy drinks while training. Its a guide more than a diet, essentially your eating plain meat or fish with a drizzle of healthy oil and a load of vegetables, it is a complete winner really however it is difficult to eat lots of calories without the carbs. If you feel you need more motivation for your diet maybe add a carby breakfast or even a anything-cheat breakfast once a week (thats two cheats a week to look forward to).

Dont restrict yourself so that your not happy, CrossFit will turn you into a metabolic, fat burning furnace and you will need to eat to keep up.
  • Harrisonsauntie
    Options
    If your considering CrossFit, its probably the quickest way to fitness and a trim body! There is as your probably aware, a huge following of Paleo from CrossFitters. I am a huge fan of Paleo (to a point) but I struggled to get to grips with it entirely until you research it and then the confusion starts.... So, The Paleolithic Diet has a massive umbrella of just how strict you can be and how low your carbohydrate intake will be. For example, The Whole 90 website is a paleo start point of total strict detox, its a 30 day challenge of getting used to it. No salt, No Dairy, No Gluten blah blah blah. Its good, but not modern day sustainable unless your a CrossFit hermit with no friends and unhealthy addiction to avocado oil. So I looked into a few things to make my life easier and more motivated. 1) I need at least one cheat meal of absolutely anything i want per week. 2) I cant drink black coffee, I'm going to have to have milk 3) Im a chef and I would rather die than have no salt!
    Combine these together and I got a massive curry takeout once a week (providing I did a 40 minute run before)
    I ate 3 big meals a day, and snacked 3 times a day with fruit/protein shake, I used salt in cooking and I put milk in my coffee. Point is, Paleo is as strict as you want it to be, some eat chocolate and have sugary energy drinks while training. Its a guide more than a diet, essentially your eating plain meat or fish with a drizzle of healthy oil and a load of vegetables, it is a complete winner really however it is difficult to eat lots of calories without the carbs. If you feel you need more motivation for your diet maybe add a carby breakfast or even a anything-cheat breakfast once a week (thats two cheats a week to look forward to).

Dont restrict yourself so that your not happy, CrossFit will turn you into a metabolic, fat burning furnace and you will need to eat to keep up.

I do enjoy it. I like how its split between lifting and cardio. Thanks for the advice
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

Ok, as someone who did Atkins Induction, religiously, and PLATEAUED for months. It really IS calories-in vs. calories out. Some people have success on HFLC diets, some on LFHC diets, but not me. When you are the size that we are (I'm 5'2" and currently 130 lbs.), those simple plans don't work. Most diet plans, despite what their main focus is, work for people because THEY LIMIT CALORIES. Plain and simple.

So, my #1 suggestion is for you to find out your BMR using a site like this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and start eating at BMR.

You should expect to lose 1/2 lb. to 1 lb. per week (I don't know the conversion. Sorry!). You are small enough that, through calorie counting alone, this is the best you can expect. Personally, I've been losing about 1/2 lb. per week, since I started at 163 lbs.

Each time you lose 5-10 lbs., you'll need to recalculate your BMR or you're likely to plateau.

This can be done. You don't have far to go! Good luck to you!

Intent is correct, a couple of details are not.

Find your TDEE - the link in the quoted post is to a TDEE calculator. If you want to lose 1 lb / wk, which is perfectly doable at your height and weight, eat at TDEE - 500 (500 calorie deficit). Recalculate every 5-10 lbs.

Do not eat below your BMR. So, if at any point your calculation drops below your BMR, reduce the amount you subtract from your TDEE. As long as you eat below your TDEE, you will lose weight. So, if you're not happy eating at TDEE - 500, add a little back. You'll lose slower, but you'll still lose AND you won't be hungry and tempted to REALLY overeat. Win, win.

Track your calories and be sure to weigh and measure as much as you can. If you're not accurate with your intake, you won't be consistent with your loss. <--- This is the biggest cause of stalling, along with over-estimating exercise.

Also, keep in mind that the TDEE calculation is an estimate - it works really well for most, but if after a month or two you're not losing at the rate you expect, adjust your deficit or increase your daily activity to compensate.