How do you count "sauce" when cooking in crock pot?

How do you count sauce when cooking in crock pot? for instance, recipes similar to this....
http://www.repeatcrafterme.com/2013/12/crock-pot-cranberry-chicken.html

I don't eat all the sauce so seems high calorie if you count all the dressing, but I know I am not eating it all.

Replies

• KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,474 Member
    booze is sauce.
  • Heather77Nicole
    Heather77Nicole Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you for asking; I am wondering this, as well.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    You can create the recipe using MFP.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/recipe/calculator
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,123 Member
    I would create the recipe in MFP entering all ingredients then divide it by how many portions... so if it makes 4 cups and you would be eating 2 cups as a serving... divide the whole thing by 2.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    You could probably do this 1 of 2 ways.

1. Enter the sauce ingredients into the recipe builder separately from the chicken. Then measure out your serving sizes (1/4 cup, 1/2 cup or tablespoons, etc). This would also be good if you decided to use the remaining sauce for a dip or glaze later on for something else. Then you would already know how much the servings size is :)

or

2. Divide the sauce into 4 servings (which looks like it would be a lot in this recipe) and just include it in the serving with the chicken.
  • ChangingAmanda
    ChangingAmanda Posts: 486 Member
    Yeah, it's going to be tough since you're not eating a whole portion.

For the case posted, I'd would create a recipe for the sauce, measure the weight before adding it to the crock pot. When you're ready to serve, weigh the amount of sauce you're adding to the plate and figure out calorie count based on original amount. So if 600g of original sauce is 600 calories, that's 1 cal per gram. 50g of sauce would be 50 cals. You'd set the recipe to be 12 servings and add 1 serving to your diary. The chicken would be a separate entry on your diary.
  • cgarand
    cgarand Posts: 541 Member
    I just did this, and added it as 'beef stock' to what I ate. To me, this isn't an exact science, and I can probably break it down to every macro in every little thing that goes into my mouth, including toothpaste, but I'm looking for a general idea. What matters to me is making sure I move my body and eat fairly healthy. I can't get my panties in a twist about how much sodium is in my crock pot sauce after I roast a chicken...
  • weebee05
    weebee05 Posts: 22 Member
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I like to count but don't freak out if I am off by a little. This was just A LOT when counting 6 servings...so, I think I will split the sauce into 12 servings.