My Meal Plan: Any good?

Options
My current meal plan is based on this site which I forgot but if I'm not mistaken it's kinda like the Shred Diet? Let me know if it's any good for weight loss and fat burning!

Aaaand considering my daily schedule because of college, I can't really do the 2-3/3-4hr meal thingy. Soooo yeah. But at least I get what I'm supposed to from the whole plan... right?

Meal 1:
- 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 banana (small to medium), 1 tsp of cinnamon

Meal 2:
- 4oz protein (usually chicken breast), 1 cup veg

Meal 3:
- 4oz protein, 1 cup veg or good carbs (whatever's available)

Meal 4:
- 1 apple, 1 tbsp cashew butter (or a handful/1/2 cup of trail mix or none or whatever's available)

Meal 5:
- 4oz protein, 1 cup veg

I'm 5'2, 19y/o, 113-115lbs (trying to lose 15lbs) and on a 1200 cal def. That may go up to 1300-1500 (on a non-cheat day basis). I work out with Insanity. When it's Cardio Recovery day, I try my best to finish it or at least do 10~15mins of it and do the Seven minute circuit workout. Whatever floats my boat hehe sorry.

So I hope I get some advice pleaaaaase.

And can I just add that sometimes it's really hard to fight the temptation. Can anyone give me advice on this too? Thank you so much!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The only thing that comes to mind right away is that is sounds dreadfully boring. What are you going to do whenever you go out to eat? As long as you're in calorie deficit, you will lose weight. There are no fat-burning foods, and there are no foods specifically geared towards weight loss.

As far as temptation goes, why fight it? Restricting yourself to a meal plan isn't going to help that. Work in treats or whatever else you desire into your calorie goal.
  • mmargarette
    mmargarette Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The only thing that comes to mind right away is that is sounds dreadfully boring. What are you going to do whenever you go out to eat? As long as you're in calorie deficit, you will lose weight. There are no fat-burning foods, and there are no foods specifically geared towards weight loss.

As far as temptation goes, why fight it? Restricting yourself to a meal plan isn't going to help that. Work in treats or whatever else you desire into your calorie goal.

I agree that it is boring. I guess I don't really know much about the world of weight loss but from what I've learned, isn't it better than eating junk, fast food, and "unhealthy" food? So yeah :( I don't know what to believe anymore huhu
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options

+1

I am at Vanderbilt, and I recognize how crazy eating patterns can become, especially as Finals approach.

Take hollydubs85's suggestion, and embrace your temptations by working them into your meal routine. I have no issues with how you break up your eating; class schedules can play havoc with that.

Do you have a gym, or a work out room? Here at Vandy, there are several places students can work out, places that are largely invisible to staff and faculty. Do you have a running group you might join? I work at the Freshman Commons, and early on groups of women run together. That might also give you portion control support when you need it most!

Keep logging and let folk here know how you are doing.
  • dettiot
    dettiot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a really small frame, getting down to a hundred pounds might not be the best choice for you. You might get the visual impact you want (being firm and toned & looking smaller in your clothes) if you add in some strength training. The scale won't reflect the fact that you'll look smaller and better.

(And I'm saying this as someone who loves cardio.)

Otherwise, what other people have said--your diet is pretty boring so it's no wonder you're feeling tempted. Give yourself a bit more slack, especially with finals approaching. Good luck!!!
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Following a meal plan like that is definitely better than eating junk food. However, is this something you can sustain long-term?

You don't necessarily want to put yourself on a temporary diet to lose weight. There are a couple reasons for this.

1) Temporary alterations in the way you eat have no long-term impacts on your habits. So when you come off the diet, since you haven't learned to adopt new habits, you may fall into the same eating patterns that got you into trouble in the first place.

2) When you include food items you like in moderation you are creating a lifestyle that allows you to enjoy food and stay fit. This is the optimal way to lose weight.

You don't want to jump on a crazy strict diet and expect things to turn out well. Even if you do lose weight, as I pointed out already, you really aren't changing the wiring in your brain.

If you wanted to become a good marathon runner, going out the first day to run 10 miles will most likely make you hate running. In turn, you wont stick to a routine.

On the other hand, if you started with 1/2 a mile every day and built up to 10 miles over the next year, you would be motivating yourself in increments as success is easier to achieve at smaller distances.

Approach this in two ways.

1) You want to lose weight.
    2) You want to ultimately rewire your brain.

Creating new habits requires repetitive actions, short-term success to sustain motivation, and reasonable expectations of short-term progress.

Eat the healthy food. However, as Holly pointed out, don't totally deprive yourself of food you like. Your diet should be flexible but stay within the boundaries of your required deficit.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I agree that it is boring. I guess I don't really know much about the world of weight loss but from what I've learned, isn't it better than eating junk, fast food, and "unhealthy" food? So yeah :( I don't know what to believe anymore huhu

Fast food is only unhealthy if you go over your calorie limit. I order chicken nuggets from fast food places all the time, and it's awesome because I am more likely to meet my protein requirement when I do. I guess the point is, especially since you're in college, your food choices are going to be all over the place. Your meal plan does look healthy, and if you can stick with it, that's great. But don't beat yourself up if you want fast food or something else that isn't lean protein or vegetables.

Also, I agree with others that since you're in a healthy weight already, you might just eat maintenance calories and focus on a strength training regimen. This will focus on body composition, not weight loss, and it will likely give you results closer to what you're looking for.
  • Lynn_babcock
    Lynn_babcock Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You're 19 years old, 5'2" and want to weigh under 100#'s? Ummm.. are they remaking Schindler's List and you want a part?? Forget loosing weight, build some muscle.. tone and look good.
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Meal 1:
    - 1/2 cup oatmeal, 1 banana (small to medium), 1 tsp of cinnamon

Meal 2:
    - 4oz protein (usually chicken breast), 1 cup veg

Meal 3:
    - 4oz protein, 1 cup veg or good carbs (whatever's available)

Meal 4:
    - 1 apple, 1 tbsp cashew butter (or a handful/1/2 cup of trail mix or none or whatever's available)

Meal 5:
    - 4oz protein, 1 cup veg

Meal 1 = Fine
    Meal 2 = Swap this for a Protein shake
    Meal 3 (Lunch)= Change the 4oz to 6oz for lunch, get some carb here, complex (brown rice, sweet pots) Youll get hungry other wise
    Meal 4 = Swap this for a protein shake and a piece of fruit
    Meal 5 (Dinner) = 6oz protein, green veg (lots) dont skimp on the veg, your good carbs will come from it.
    Meal 6= Protein shake (preferably Casein)

Be sure to add good oils to your meal 5. Protein shakes are way better if your have no time cook/heat food, its also cheaper than food!