Sweet Low Cal Coffee - No artificial Sweetener Ideas?

Options
Ok...so maybe I'm asking for something short of magic...but I love sweet creamy coffee. I currently have a jumbo mug of coffee with 60 to 75 grams of 2% milk ( i try to weigh everything!) and two packets of sweetener...i'm not to particular on what kind. This is generally around 30 to 45 cals per cup. I want to quit the artificial sweetener cause I know it is very bad for me. Anyone have any ideas? I don't need a zero cal coffee....just something in and around 30- 60 cals that tastes good. I have about three of these throughout the day. Please list calorie content and approx amounts for ingredients. Thanks!

Replies

• chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    If your mix with 0 calorie sweetener is coming in at 30-45 calories, and you are OK with up to 60 calories, why not just add sugar? It's 16 calories per tsp, so you could do up to 1.5 tsp if you do 60 grams of 2% milk and that would put you right around 60 calories per cup.
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Easy - STEVIA! its got no calories in it. link here for you http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22758059
    Failing that try some vanilla extract?!
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    cinnamon adds a hint of sweetness and counters the bitterness nicely
  • phoebejeeby
    phoebejeeby Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I think I like all of them. im gonna try 60g milk (30cals), a tsp of sugar (15 cals) a half tsp of vanilla ( 6 cals) for a total of 51 cals. I want to also try cinnamon instead of the vanilla cause that sounds yummy. I have tried stevia. I found the flavour a bit strong (although the vanilla stevia was very good). It was however very expensive...and I just want to cut out sweeteners all together. I read the article you linked....I just think at one time or another all of these sweeteners have been called safe or dangerous. I want to skip the doubt about them and just eat ingredients that don't go through a huge processing before I eat them. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna give it a try for my after dinner decaf coffee. I will report back.