Really, really, really salty snacks?

Options
Okay, I know salt isn't the best think to eat when you're trying to depuff.... but I crave salty snacks more than sweet and I'm really struggling with this.

At times, I'll eat Slim Jims, olives, or pickles straight from the container! Are there any other extremely salty foods I can nosh on that won't pack on a load of pounds? I'm eliminating the Slim Jims because I feel my arteries clogging just by opening the wrapper.*LOL*

Shannon

Replies

• tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Pretzels are great. I like a handful of nuts, too. Not lofat or low calorie, but healthier than other choices! I like Kashi tlc crackers with laughing cow cheese, too.
  • FitnessTim
    FitnessTim Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I also have a salt tooth. I get my fix from pretzels, pickles, low fat chips, beef jerky and even rice cakes. To spice up the pretzels I'll dip them in mustard. By pretzels, I'm talking about the dry low fat kinds, not from a hot pretzel vendor cart (high fat).

Most people will recommend that you stay away from salt and I agree in spirit but unless you have high blood pressure, salt only contributes to what I consider temporary weight. I suggest you wean yourself away from salt, advice I should take myself.

Salt weight is easy to lose if you can stay away from it for a few days and drink plenty of water.

Obviously stay away from Slim Jims and olives (but, yeah I get it, yum!).

I'm fairly lean and I tend to consume a moderately high amount of sodium.

Good luck
  • HeatherOrlando
    Options
    Klaussen pickles for sure! They do the trick for me!
  • melanie92
    melanie92 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm with you on the salt tooth! 365 Brand Wheat Square crackers, Whole Foods version of Wheat Thins, are really good and have a nice salty flavor.
  • chessie11
    Options
    I'm with you on those olives! Do try to tone down on those if you have HBP concerns...

Meanwhile, I'll suggest Kellogg's All-Bran Crackers, too. Yum.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    Wasabi Peas!
  • becomingsara
    Options
    Salt and vinegar baked chips from your health food store are usually made with sea salt which is apparently the best of the salts for our bodies to metabolize and WOW they are salty! And ggggrrreeeaatttttt :0)
  • SarahHilger
    SarahHilger Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm currently snacking on lightly salted pumpkin seeds and it is satisfying my craving for salty foods! Tis the season for pumpkins and other gourds... clean out a pumpkin, separate the seeds from the gunk, lightly season them with salt and cayenne pepper and bake them in the oven on a cookie sheet with just a little extra virgin olive oil. Tasty and a good source of protein!
  • mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    You know what is awesome and super salty? Sunflower seeds. With the shells on. I spend hours eating one bag because it takes forever to break open the shell and eat them. And they come in all kinds of good flavors. I love the ranch ones :)
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love salty stuff! I can sometimes trick myself into switching over to tart or spicy foods for my cravings. Fresh pineapple has a good pucker that is low cal and makes my mouth feel like I got a "fix". I can have a good size portion without messing with my daily calories, then I don't crave the salt as much after. If I do, at least I'm more full first!

The laughing cow on some TLC Kashi spicy crackers helps, too. Eaten slowly so I can try and limit myself!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Chinese dried salted plum "candy". It was the saltiest thing I ever had, and YUM!
  • 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Popchips, 100 calorie mini bags of microwave popcorn. I also like the light string cheese - it satisfies me for salt!
  • armywife1230
    Options
    I am a big fan of Popcorn. I air pop the kernels and then add a little seasoned salt or a small amount of spray butter with regular salt.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    Sounds tasty! I'll be sure to check out some of these ideas when I go grocery shopping this weekend. I'll keep working at weaking myself off of the salt. Glad to see I'm not the only one who prefers salty over sweet!:-D
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Homemade baked kale chips...check the recipe forums.
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I just need a quick salt fix, I'll grab a finger full feta cheese crumbles. YUM.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    hardboiled eggs with salt!!
  • ChattyKatie
    Options
    I like Pirates Booty for my salt fix..not to high in calories and portion size is 1 oz which is alot since they are puffs...similar to cheese doodles...also have veggie puffs. Can be found in health food stores or larger supermarkets.
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Pretzels! That's what does it for me when I want salt. Generally, I'm not a big salt fan though. I find that many foods are salty enough on their own for me. I'm the person that doesn't eat french fries because they're too salty, scrapes the salt off of pretzels or buys the type without salt to begin with, and so on. I grew up in a family of smokers though so I know that they used to eat a lot of salt because they couldn't taste the normal amount of it.
  • ganesha303
    ganesha303 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Roasted Salted Almonds