Strategies to Control Eating on Rest Days From Exercise

Options
Does anyone else have this struggle? My motivation to eat well is very high on days when I exercise. There's no way I want to eat something stupid and negate the calories I just worked so hard to burn! My biggest struggles come on "rest days". I would like to (and have tried) to work out every day. However, I know my body needs rest days, and at my age (in my 40's), my body definitely tells me it does. This morning, I did the elliptical machine, and my legs felt like lead weights. I know I need to have a rest day tomorrow, but I'm terrified.

Have any of you struggled with this? What are some strategies you've used to cope?

Replies

• Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do a quick 5-10 minute stretch or ab exercise in the morning just to get my mindset right. It seems to work.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    On rest days I really focus on getting lots of protein with every meal. I find this helps with the hunger pangs. Cottage cheese and my protein shakes are staples. I also wait as long as I can in the morning to have breakfast, so I don't eat all my calories before 3 pm. Also, if I am extra hungry after all my calories are gone, I'll eat more. I don't sweat going over a little on my days off.
  • molissep
    molissep Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this! I tend to preload my food intake into my diary so that I know what I'm eating for the day. If I have some wiggle room and I'm feeling hungry or craving something I'll allow it. I think knowing what to expect for the day helps a lot. Also I try to eat more protein and veggies so I am getting more for less kinda thing.
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    The key is to plan your meals beforehand. And just like you don't want to undue your hard work on your exercise days, think the same way by limiting your indulgence on your off days. You can do this, it's all about how much you want this for yourself. Stay positive.
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    The Lead weight feeling your getting is not the need to rest but a build up lactic acid. I agree with some of these posts that stretching would be a good idea. Maybe try some yoga or pilates or even focusing on stretching your muscles. Stretching is one of the most overlooked practices in working out. Your muscles would be a lot more efficient and more accommodating to lactic acid. Flexible Muscles = strong muscles!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    The Lead weight feeling your getting is not the need to rest but a build up lactic acid. I agree with some of these posts that stretching would be a good idea. Maybe try some yoga or pilates or even focusing on stretching your muscles. Stretching is one of the most overlooked practices in working out. Your muscles would be a lot more efficient and more accommodating to lactic acid. Flexible Muscles = strong muscles!

Erm - if you have a build-up of lactic acid so that your legs feel leaden, it seems to me that is an excellent reason to either take a rest day or an active recovery day. As a person gets more fit, lactic acid clearance becomes more efficient and less rest between workouts is necessary. Totally agree with the stretching. But always do it AFTER your workout, never before.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that chicken breast really fills me up and when I snack - sometimes it's a salad instead of the normal snack items.

Yes, I struggle with this too.
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    Really great suggestions! Thanks, everyone, for taking time out of your day to offer advice:)