Replies

• ok i put the picture for the marilyn monroe salad in my profile
  • inskydiamonds
    inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
    ok i put the picture for the marilyn monroe salad in my profile

1373075_2097.jpg
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Spinach Lentil Soup (from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Lentil-Soup-2/Detail.aspx)

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    6 cups water
    1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
    1 1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
    3/4 teaspoon salt (I omitted the salt and it was still great!)
    1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, torn
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add the water, salsa, lentils and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach; simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.

This was great! It was easy prep and just required a bit of time at home while it was cooking. I am sure it could be easily adapted to the crockpot as well. (I have another lentil soup recipe which calls for cooking on low for 6 hours or so). It was very filling as well.

NI for original recipe (calculated by allrecipes):
    Nutritional Analysis: 1-1/2 cups equals 208 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 20 g fiber, 18 g protein.

Here are some pics. The first is just the soup and the second is after I topped my serving with a TBSP of shredded parmesan and a TBSP of shredded mozarella (which was great by the way!) We served with "cheesy bread" -- whole wheat bread topped with parmesan/mozarella as well and broiled until the cheese was melted.

soup.jpg

soup2.jpg]
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    ok i put the picture for the marilyn monroe salad in my profile
    Looks incredibly tasty! I *love* spinach salad. It is always my salad green of choice.
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Props to Cytherea for her recipe

hehehe thanks! Yeah, I love it :heart:

Just wanted to add to mine... the bundles that I bought were pretty big. Saw some at another store today and they were tiny. So if you get small bundles, you may want to buy more than I suggested.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    This is a family favorite!

Chickpea and Spinach Curry

My family loves it when I cook this! There are 3 servings because I eat it on its own as a meal, but if you have it with rice, or pilau bulgur as I occasionally do, you can half the portion size. This is so incredibly low calorie for a huge portion and one of the meals I tend to make in bulk and keep in the freezer for a while. It really is delicious! Don't be daunted by all the herbs and spices, they are all great for using with other things.

Chickpea and Spinach Curry
    Serves: 3
    240g chick peas, canned, drained weight (basically one tin)
    400g tomatoes, canned
    100g spinach
    8 mushrooms
    1 onion
    2g yellow mustard seeds
    5g paprika
    5g cumin
    2g ginger
    2g garam masala
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1/2 tsp salt
    1g pepper
    1 small red pepper
    1 small green pepper
    2 small yellow pepper

Heat the oil in the bottom of a large pan.
    Add the mustard seeds on low temperature
    When the mustard seeds start to pop add in the sliced onions garlic and ginger with a little water.
    When the onions soften add in the mushrooms and peppers.
    Add in the spices and herbs and cover for 5 mins until all the veg is soft.
    Add in the chickpeas and cover for 5 more mins.
    Add in the chopped tomatoes and stir well.
    After 5 or so mins add the spinach (about 6/7 lumps frozen).
    Mix the spinach in so its covered by the sauce.
    Cover it up but keep stirring every few mins.
    It can be served as soon as the spinach is cooked (i.e. not frozen in big lumps, but flavour intensifies the longer you simmer it for.
    It may need simmering without the lid to reduce the wateriness of the sauce.

240 calories per serving, 7.4g F, 0.9g SF, 38.2 C, 8g S, 9.5 Fb, 9.8g P

http://heavling.blogspot.com/search/label/Chickpea
  • ok i put the picture for the marilyn monroe salad in my profile

1373075_2097.jpg

thank you!!!!
  • kpopa
    kpopa Posts: 515 Member
    I LOVE LOVE LOVE Spinach!!!!

I make something I call Turkey Stuff!!! Hope you enjoy it!

**this is a garbage recipe. other than the turkey, rice and spinach the recipe will NOT be the same twice. Nutritional content will vary depending on your ingredients**

Turkey Stuff

1 lb lean ground turkey
    2 c. cooked rice
    2 c. raw spinach

Now garbage!!!!

I made this on Monday and here's what I included:

2 carrots, peeled and shredded
    1 can diced tomatoes
    1/2 can yellow corn
    1 sm yellow onion, diced
    1 pkg sliced mushrooms
    1/2 green pepper, diced
    1 tsp minced garlic
    salt and pepper
    season salt
    olive oil

(I've added pretty much anything I have in my house at the time I feel like making this. Zucchini, green beans, black beans, corn, broccoli, mushrooms, green onion, red/yellow/green pepper, chilis, etc etc etc etc) The recipe is super versatile and you get something different every time! Hope you enjoy!

Step 1: cook rice
    Step 2: while cooking rice, brown turkey burger in separate pan
    Step 3: heat olive oil in large skillet. Add carrots, onion and garlic and heat on low until onion is fairly translucent. Add mushrooms and green peppers. Cook another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add spinach, tomatoes, corn, seasoning, and cooked turkey burger. Heat through until simmering, stirring regularly to prevent sticking.
    Step 4: Take 1/2 cup rice and top with 1/2 cup of turkey mixture. Serve with whole grain bread for a completely delicious and easy meal! YUMMY!
  • skiski
    skiski Posts: 173 Member
    NAME OF RECIPE: Sweet Spinach Side

INGREDIENTS: Spinach x 2, Red Onion 1 Large, 3 x Philidelpha Extra Light (I used the mini-tubs), Fry Light (a cooking spray)

DIRECTIONS: Chop red onion into rings-looks fancier!...Spray x 10-20 of fry light into a frying pan on a medium heat...add onion and cook til it sofens, then add the spinach...wilt according to perferrence, reduce heat to low to maintian heat and then add your Philidelpha mini-tubs, dash of lemon juice and salt/pepper to taste...have on its own or serve alongside chicken, tuna, salmon, quorn etc and enjoy!

CALORIES PER SERVING:
    Each spray of fry light is 1 calorie

Total of the recipe is:
    Calories: 257
    Carbs: 28
    Protein: 23
    Fat: 8
    Sodium: 274
    (all from My FitnessPal Database)

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 2

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: It is a creamy healthy dish witha zingy kick. I personally love it..but I am biased!

Enjoy x
  • I made this last night and it was amazing, shame I didn't take a photo!

Spinach and Ricotta Lasagne (adapted from a recipe in the Marks and Spencers Low Fat Meals cookbook)

Makes 4 servings, 369 calories per serving.

Ingredients:
    - 200g spinach
    - 8 sheets of lasagne
    - 225g reduced fat mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
    - 450g ricotta cheese
    - half a red onion, diced
    - 2 garlic cloves, chopped
    - 500ml passata (Italian tomato sauce)
    - 1tbsp of parmesan cheese
    - ground black pepper

1. Spread half of the spinach in the bottom of a large dish.

2. Sprinkle over half of the diced onion and garlic.

3. Spread half of the ricotta cheese over.

4. Add ground black pepper to taste.

5. Place half the lasagne sheets on top and squash down if neccessary.

6. Pour half the passata over and spread out.

7. Spread half the sliced mozzarella over the top.

8. Repeat the layers, then sprinkle the parmesan cheese over the top.

9. Bake for 45 minutes in an oven pre-heated to 180 degrees.

10. Serve with salad!

Really wish I'd taken a photo of this last night as it looks pretty impressive for a fairly simple meal! I had the leftover portion for lunch today and it tasted even better than yesterday.
  • immacookie
    immacookie Posts: 7,424 Member
    (I've added pretty much anything I have in my house at the time I feel like making this. Zucchini, green beans, black beans, corn, broccoli, mushrooms, green onion, red/yellow/green pepper, chilis, etc etc etc etc) The recipe is super versatile and you get something different every time! Hope you enjoy!

I love recipes like this!! :flowerforyou:
  • inskydiamonds
    NAME OF RECIPE: Hot Mexican Spinach Dip from http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/hot-mexican-spinach-dip/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS:
    2 tbsp salsa
    1/4 of a 10oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    2 tbsp Monterey Jack cheese
    1/4 package of 8 oz package Neufchatel cheese
    5 tsp evaporated milk
    1/4 2.25 oz can of chopped black olives
    1/4 tsp red wine vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a medium baking dish combine all ingredients. Mash together.

3. Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbly.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 183 calories, 291 milligrams sodium.

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: My boyfriend's allergic to avocado, so we never get to have guacamole. I love dip for my chips and I kind of had just given up on the possibility of eating chips with anything other than salsa. BUT, this changes things! The consistency was similar to guac and gave me the same happy result. And I had no idea that 1 oz of tortilla chips (which is a serving) is quite a lot of chips! We also had tacos for dinner :)

PICTURE (optional): IMG_3663.jpg
  • janeeny
    janeeny Posts: 25 Member
    Hey

Just came across the post! Recipes are great! Im a cooking novice but i think il try the spinach & chickpea curry. Sounds amazing!
  • inskydiamonds
    Keep on entering! 2 days left!
  • smarston
    smarston Posts: 78 Member
    Spinach Lentil Soup (from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Spinach-Lentil-Soup-2/Detail.aspx)

INGREDIENTS:
    1 cup shredded carrots
    1 large onion, chopped
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    6 cups water
    1 (16 ounce) jar salsa
    1 1/4 cups dried lentils, rinsed
    3/4 teaspoon salt (I omitted the salt and it was still great!)
    1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, torn
    DIRECTIONS:
    1. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, saute carrots and onion in oil until tender. Add the water, salsa, lentils and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until lentils are tender. Stir in spinach; simmer 5-10 minutes longer or until spinach is wilted.

This was great! It was easy prep and just required a bit of time at home while it was cooking. I am sure it could be easily adapted to the crockpot as well. (I have another lentil soup recipe which calls for cooking on low for 6 hours or so). It was very filling as well.

NI for original recipe (calculated by allrecipes):
    Nutritional Analysis: 1-1/2 cups equals 208 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 696 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 20 g fiber, 18 g protein.

Here are some pics. The first is just the soup and the second is after I topped my serving with a TBSP of shredded parmesan and a TBSP of shredded mozarella (which was great by the way!) We served with "cheesy bread" -- whole wheat bread topped with parmesan/mozarella as well and broiled until the cheese was melted.

soup.jpg

soup2.jpg]

I have never tried lentils but this looks absolutely amazing. Thanks for sharing.
  • meagalayne
    Just threw the following into the slow cooker for tonight...

Middle Eastern Chicken Stew (adapted from http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/middle_eastern_lamb_stew.html)

Serves 6 (I think 8 is a stretch, esp with the lowered cals from the chicken)

Ingredients:
    650g boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 tablespoon olive oil
    4 teaspoons ground cumin
    1 tablespoon ground coriander
    1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
    2 medium onions, chopped
    1 large bell pepper, chopped
    2 medium carrots, chopped
    1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
    3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    1 15- or 19-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
    6 ounces baby spinach
    1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
    lemon juice, yield from 1/2 lemon

Place chicken in a 4-quart or larger slow cooker. Mix oil, cumin, coriander, and cayenne in a small bowl. Toss the chicken pieces with the spice paste and rub in well to coat. Top with onion, peppers and carrots.

While you are chopping the vegetables, bring tomatoes, broth and garlic to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Pour over the meat and vegetables. Cover and cook on low for 5 1/2 - 6 hours (or high for 3 1/2 - 4 hours).

Skim or blot any visible fat from the surface of the stew (if using lamb or beef). Mash 1/2 cup chickpeas with a fork in a small bowl. Stir the mashed and whole chickpeas into the stew, along with spinach and cilantro. Cover and cook on high until the spinach is wilted, about 5 minutes. Mix in lemon juice before serving.

Per serving:
    Calories 274
    Carbs 25
    Fat 5
    Protein 32
    Fiber 7
    Sodium 778

I'll post a pic and my thoughts once I eat! Have a fab day, everyone!
    -Meag
  • NAME OF RECIPE: Hot Mexican Spinach Dip from http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/hot-mexican-spinach-dip/Detail.aspx

INGREDIENTS:
    2 tbsp salsa
    1/4 of a 10oz package of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
    2 tbsp Monterey Jack cheese
    1/4 package of 8 oz package Neufchatel cheese
    5 tsp evaporated milk
    1/4 2.25 oz can of chopped black olives
    1/4 tsp red wine vinegar

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. In a medium baking dish combine all ingredients. Mash together.

3. Bake for 15 minutes, until bubbly.

CALORIES PER SERVING: 183 calories, 291 milligrams sodium.

HOW MANY IT SERVES: 6

OPINIONS ON HOW IT TASTED, ETC: My boyfriend's allergic to avocado, so we never get to have guacamole. I love dip for my chips and I kind of had just given up on the possibility of eating chips with anything other than salsa. BUT, this changes things! The consistency was similar to guac and gave me the same happy result. And I had no idea that 1 oz of tortilla chips (which is a serving) is quite a lot of chips! We also had tacos for dinner :)

PICTURE (optional): IMG_3663.jpg

omg, yum! i have to try this... but i would eat it all :/
  • jb_sweet_99
    jb_sweet_99 Posts: 856 Member
    bump
  • meagalayne
    Hey all...

Here are my pics from the Middle Eastern Stew recipe!! :bigsmile:

PB050028.jpg
    PB050030.jpg

Turned out really delicious! I ended up not having any cilantro to throw in, but otherwise followed the recipe. This is showing only about 4 of 6 servings. One individual that eats with us can't have chick peas for medical reasons, so I had to take a few portions out first!

Enjoy the recipe :) I sure did!
    -Meag
  • inskydiamonds
    Yay! I'm glad there's been so many entries!
    Tomorrow night at 5PM PST the voting goes up (and a new challenge as well!) so make sure you enter if you were planning to!
This discussion has been closed.