Mad at myself

Options
Sorry to have a pity party over here. I'm in need some emotional support my skinny friends/non-MFP friends can't provide.

I was doing so good with the weight loss. Now I've beengaining and losing the same 3lbs the past 2 months and have hit a huge plataeu. It's also difficult staying within my calorie limits every day (lately) because it's either a holiday party, an office party, or I'm just too tired when I come home from work to cook a good meal and end up ordering take out. I feel like I do really well breakfast and lunch, but come dinnertime or the weekends and it's all downhill.

Things have gotten really busy at work too and I'm not able to squeeze in as much time for exercise as I used to. I know, I know. You're probably hearing "excuse, excuse, excuse". And I feel AWFUL. It's like every time I eat an extra cookie or skip out on working out I think "Well, that's why you're fat". I'm really discouraged right now and just feel like I'll NEVER "get there".

Replies

• Poofy_Goodness
    Poofy_Goodness Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Forgive yourself for your mistakes.

Let go of the past.

Start planning. Usually we know about parties before we attend them. Come up with a plan for how you'll eat at these parties and stick to it.

If you order take out, serve yourself half of it on a plate, and put the other half away immediately for the next time you might be too tired to cook.

Think of quick and easy meals to make even when you're tired.

Try to get up a few hours earlier and work out before work.

You've got this. Don't give up.
  • no2thdk
    Options
    I completely understand where you are coming from. I too have those times where I gain and lose the same 3 lbs or so. I also do really good at breakfast and lunch and then my hardest time is dinner. Try having the meals for dinner planned out ahead of time. You could even cook and freeze them ahead of time. Also Crockpots can be life savers. You put the stuff in and you let cook until you get home from work. Bam a meal with very little work. I also love to cook stir frys. You can buy everything you need frozen and then just put in a pan. Besides having to do a little stirring its easy peasy. Then you can add canned chicken or frozen chicken in to get your protein. I LOVE me some stir fry.
    As far as the exercise put in a tape or just go for a walk. The hardest part is getting started. I know that once I get to the gym and start working out I have never regret it even if I don't feel good. ITS ALL MIND OVER MATTER. The mind can really make it hard sometimes.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! You can do it!
    Feel free to add or message me anytime!
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Those all sound like "excuses" and legit reasons at the same time. A lot of people fall victim to yummy goodies and time restriction at this time of year - including myself.

-We have choices - we either keep over indulging and let the negative talk in our heads take over..... Or we eat healthy (with occasional treat) and kick that negative ***** talking in your head's Azz!

You can do it! I am struggling a little right now too, but Let's Get up and GO! :smile:
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    It's normal to feel frustrated, but you just have to keep trying. If you make a mistake, shrug it off & try to do better. I was losing 2-3 pounds/week for the first 5 months on MFP, now it's more like 1#/week. Try to do something active every day, even just going for a walk. Hit it hard over the weekend - twice a day if you can! Get into the habit of changing into your workout clothes at work so you can go straight to the gym or for a walk right after work.

Eat a little lighter earlier in the day so you have room for a snack or small drink later at a party. Eat slowly and have smaller portions of your take-out. Put it on a small plate & put the rest away in the back of the fridge for the next day. Carry a large water bottle with you so you can sip throughout the day (it's good with lemon, lime, or cucumber slices). Have a drink like club soda with lime so you can feel like you're participating at a party & people won't ask why you're not drinking. I don't drink soda very often , but when everyone else is having something I will have a coke zero with lemon or lime once in a while so I can feel like I'm indulging a little, even though it's calorie free. Just keep at it & don't give up!
  • bryntevans01
    bryntevans01 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling too well.

Sometimes its better to take a step back and have a week or 2 of guilt free eating and partying to re-establish how you will go forward. I bodybuild and train relentlessly 5-6 days per week and do cardio 3 times a week. I plateau a lot, normally every 4-6 weeks when I have to change my plans and all that jazz. I recently had 4 weeks off training and eating healthy (guilt free) just to get some more motivation. its actually working well for me. However, sometimes you have to focus on your goal a little more, maybe introduce another goal thats shorter, say in 2 weeks this is how im going to look and feel, and weigh this much. Go out and buy a dress thats too small and squeeze into, take up a new sport or join the army! Your not the only person to feel ****ty about themselves and truth be told, who is actually happy with themselves? Even when people get to their goal weight they say I wish I could get rid of this bit or that bit. For me, losing weight and getting in shape is about the journey not really the end result. We all need to make lifestyle changes and be healthy for whatever reasons they are, family, friends, health reasons etc.
    Try to find an exercise you enjoy and be imaginative about healthy cooking. Remember that 'Life is for Living not Slimming but Health is our wealth'
  • onilndtym
    onilndtym Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just love this!

-We have choices - we either keep over indulging and let the negative talk in our heads take over..... Or we eat healthy (with occasional treat) and kick that negative ***** talking in your head's Azz!

:smile:
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Since January 24th ish of this year I have been gaining and losing the same 5 pounds. I look at it like "at least I can Maintain and not gain TOO much" but at the same time I want to get down another 10 pounds (currently around 140-was bouncing between 140-145- and want to get to 130). The scale is finally going down the way I want it.. I'd say do some strength and cardio.. I jumped into kickboxing so I feel it's kinda a combo. I also started throwing in some random points through my day where I do squats/planks/lunges/etc.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    You can do this! All the other posts and suggestions have it nailed :) Planning in advance really helps. I have a livejournal that I started blogging on (just for me - putting it 'out there' made it more real some how but it isn't intended for an audience. Weird, I know but hey, psychological stuff works!) and I would spend 20 minutes typing out and posting how I would handle an upcoming event, whether it was a party or what. It kept me focused and thinking about it. I did that every day leading up to the event too, to reiterate my plan and drive it home in my head, and I gave myself leeway and options. Don't know why, but it really helped.

Also, pre-logging food helps me get an idea of where I'm at for the day and what spare I have.

I also like to eat more of my calories at night, so I started eating way lighter during the day so I had more at night and it gave me more leeway for parties or eating out.

Keep it up. You've got this! Forgive yourself, relax, enjoy, and don't worry -- remember weight loss will slow down, and if it were easy, there wouldn't be this site for help! :)