exercising and brebreastfeeding

Options
Hey there! I need some help. I'm breastfeeding, workout daily (6 of those days I work out pretty heavily) and I was wondering how many calories I should be eating with the amount of calories I burn.. Usually between 500-1000 daily according to my hrm used during workouts. I don't wanna lose my milk supply but I also don't wanna stop working out. Anyone out there know something about this?!

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Eat lots and lots of food. Since it's pretty much impossible to know how many calories you lose by breastfeeding, I would just experiment with different amounts of calories until you find something that works. I personally, was never able to lose weight while breastfeeding, and when I kept lowering my calories, eventually I did lose my milk supply. So...there's that. Everyone is different, though. Unfortunately, since no one here knows you personally, it would be hard to pinpoint a definite amount of calories for you to eat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I personally, was never able to lose weight while breastfeeding,

.....Eat lots and lots of food.

I think I found the reason why...

women tend to grossly overestimate how much food their babies actually need. I would eat at maintenance or maybe a moderate surplus.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    No, I was cutting 100 calories out of my day every week I was breastfeeding until there was no more milk. I was basically advising her to not do what I did especially since she's working out so much. But thanks for your diagnosis. I'm sure your expertise in losing weight while breastfeeding far exceeds mine.
  • just_Jennie1
    Options
    I personally, was never able to lose weight while breastfeeding,

.....Eat lots and lots of food.

I think I found the reason why...

women tend to grossly overestimate how much food their babies actually need. I would eat at maintenance or maybe a moderate surplus.

I think you didn't read her post .
  • z0mbi3lady
    z0mbi3lady Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost all 52lbs of my pregnancy weight in 4 months while nursing. I added 500 calories a day, "breastfeeding" is listed under the food section on here. Good luck!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Having breastfed 2 babies for a total of 40 months over both (and no formula), I have a bit of experience with this :wink: . Here's my advice:

1) Start by setting your goals for a 500 calorie/day deficit, based on no exercise and no breastfeeding.
    2) Assume that by exclusively breastfeeding burns about 500 calories per day (it's really anywhere from 300-500 or a little more for a huge eater). Add this to your diary every day. It's in the food database, but I don't like that method because it doesn't account for your personal macro settings. I always added it by adding a cardio exercise for it - you can create your own, and just make sure that it says the number you want every day (it may adjust itself as your weight changes). Adjust the amount down as you start to supplement with solid foods and/or formula (and the baby nurses less).
    3) Plan to eat most, if not all, of your exercise calories.

Start there. Then, you can scale back a bit each week if you're not losing at the rate you would like, maybe removing 100-150 daily calories at a time until you're at a point where you feel like you're eating enough to support nursing and activity but at a big enough deficit that your weight is changing at an acceptable rate for you. It will take some tweaking, but you'll get there. Remember that your baby only needs your breastmilk for the first year or so but you have the rest of your life to lose the weight - if nursing is very important to you and you find yourself losing supply, up your calories a bit and slow down the loss for awhile.

Also, lots of cardio can make your milk a little salty tasting. It won't hurt the baby in any way, but some babies turn their nose up at the taste a little. If you find this happening, you might need to scale back the cardio a little.
  • BunBun85
    BunBun85 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Tagging for a reminder in April!
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    I also agree with 500 calories, and plenty of water.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Nursing my babies helped me to lose all the baby fat. But OP, of I read your post correctly, you are worried about not eating enough to keep a good milk supply. Are you trying to lose weight or maintain and keep up your milk supply. I think readers are confused here.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    With my first, the weight fell off while breastfeeding and then I started gaining after weaning.

I didnt count calories or exercise, only simply made sure I was eating healthy foods.

I wonder if an HRM would pick up any burn during breast feeding sessions?
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    <---IBCLC

http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/mom-exercise/

Everything you need to know.

ETA: Every child and experience is different. Pay attention to your supply and your child's wet and dirty diaper. This will be a huge indicator of whether or not they are getting enough.
  • teresand77
    teresand77 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I'm still nursing and working out pretty heavily as well. I teach cycling and lift weights and run some sprints. I was setting my calories at 500 extra and not losing any weight. I decided to just set my calories at maintenance and eat back my exercise calories and I've lost a couple pounds and a ton of bodyfat. That's what's been working for me but since we're all different I would experiment like Barbie said. When I was nursing exclusively (before my son started eating real food) I would get so lightheaded if I didn't eat enough. I was also a lot more concerned with lack of supply so I didn't really worry about weight loss at all. After he turned a year I started worrying a little bit more about myself and a little less about my supply. He still seems happy to nurse though so I think I've finally found the happy medium :). I'm getting my body back for the most part (except this pesky little pooch :)) and he is still able to nurse.
  • jessakahbuell
    Options
    Sorry I didn't get too
    Much information there guys.
    My baby is a month old. She was 10lbs 15oz at birth ( big girl, I know!) I was 160lbs and working out to get myself down 150 when I found out I was pregnant The first 4-5 months I had morning sickness 24/7 and could hardly make it to work, nvm work out. I gained alot of weight early on because of that. Once my morning sickness went away I started being as active as before, walking, biking to work 45 mins there and 45 back, and I was doing that up until birth.
    Like I said though, I gained a lot of weight. My last appointment I was 230, after 2.5 weeks I lost close to 25lbs not doing anything but breastfeeding. I bought zumba just over a week ago and have lost another 5 lbs. I do enjoy working it, it takes stress away, makes me feel better throughout the day and I'm dropping lbs. The thing I worry about though is since I'm breastfeeding I wanna make sure I'm eating enough to keep us both healthy while I lose weight and not mess up the milk supply. Right now the milk supply is good. If she's not up when Im ready to work out I pump and usually get 4-5 oz and when I'm done working out, my breasts are already starting to feel like they're getting full. I just wanna make sure I'm doing it the healthy way and not eating too little and burning too much. Sorry if I'm confusing anybody Im writing this while trying to keep my 3 year old entertained and rocking my my little one. LOL. Also feel free to add me :)