Protein Sources

Options
So I'm a vegetarian and I don't eat many nuts and don't eat tofu, beans, and very little eggs. I mainly get protein from dairy, although even with that there are many types of cheeses/yogurts I don't like and won't eat. What sources of protein that aren't tofu, fake meat products, beans, or anything that feels like tofu in your mouth, that is a good, vegetarian source of protein?

Replies

• lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a complete protein. Do lentils count as beans to you? I don't overcook my lentils, b/c I don't like the runny feel of super soft lentils. I also bake tofu, so it gives it a better "mouth feel." It's a little thicker and chewy vs. soft and smushy. Brewer's yeast added to something you are already eating will add some protein.
  • MapleFlavouredMaiden
    Options
    Oh jeez! I'd ditch all the restrictions and vegetarianism if you possibly could. But if not, tempeh is one. What about seeds? Hemp is an option.... wow, you're really limiting yourself here... ummm, edamame....seitan, sunflower seed butter, quinoa, wheat berries, wild rice, steel cut oats. Maybe get a good vegetable protein powder or a hemp protein powder..... but all of these aren't complete proteins and are not as absorbable as those from animal sources. You'll also want to supplement with b12 vitamin, iron, vitamin A, etc.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    um. wow- gosh.
    apparently milk and quinona

otherwise steak.

and chicken.
  • musicgal86
    musicgal86 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I was a vegan for 3 years and I ate lentils, other legumes, quinoa, and nuts. Just be careful not to overdo it. I started to gain weight after a while and was hungry all the time so that's why I had to switch to eating meat. I really do miss it though and maybe once I am able to get things in balance I will eat more of a plants based diet. Also make sure you are eating a lot of dark leafy green vegetables...they are loaded with protein.
  • findingmyw1ngs
    findingmyw1ngs Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is a complete protein. Do lentils count as beans to you? I don't overcook my lentils, b/c I don't like the runny feel of super soft lentils. I also bake tofu, so it gives it a better "mouth feel." It's a little thicker and chewy vs. soft and smushy. Brewer's yeast added to something you are already eating will add some protein.

Lentils do count as beans to me. I'm just so picky. Like I don't like tofu either. I'll try the Brewer's yeast though. What is quinoa?
  • findingmyw1ngs
    Options
    Oh jeez! I'd ditch all the restrictions and vegetarianism if you possibly could. But if not, tempeh is one. What about seeds? Hemp is an option.... wow, you're really limiting yourself here... ummm, edamame....seitan, sunflower seed butter, quinoa, wheat berries, wild rice, steel cut oats. Maybe get a good vegetable protein powder or a hemp protein powder..... but all of these aren't complete proteins and are not as absorbable as those from animal sources. You'll also want to supplement with b12 vitamin, iron, vitamin A, etc.

I try, but a lot of textures bother me. I've never heard of tmpeh, what's that? I could try the seeds, they can go into smoothies and I love some types of smoothies and if I chop them enough hopefully I won't be bothered by it so much. I take a daily vitamin, does that include these?
  • findingmyw1ngs
    Options
    um. wow- gosh.
    apparently milk and quinona

otherwise steak.

and chicken.

What's quinona? Milk sounds good though
  • findingmyw1ngs
    Options
    I was a vegan for 3 years and I ate lentils, other legumes, quinoa, and nuts. Just be careful not to overdo it. I started to gain weight after a while and was hungry all the time so that's why I had to switch to eating meat. I really do miss it though and maybe once I am able to get things in balance I will eat more of a plants based diet. Also make sure you are eating a lot of dark leafy green vegetables...they are loaded with protein.

Ok. Thank you. What dark, leafy green veggies would you suggest? I eat broccoli and occasionally spinach.
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is not really a great source of protein, it's still mainly a carb rich food. A cup of quinoa is about 200c and 8 grams of protein. 200 calories worth of most veggies (let's say lettuce) will give you 10-15g of protein.

http://www.grassfedgirl.com/quinoa-superfood-low-protein-unsustainable-inflammatory-hard-digest/
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Just eat plenty of vegetables and as much daity as you can and your fine. Things like spinich, kale, arugula, etc are high in protein.