Hummus

Options
eyecandyrayce
eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
Hummus - 2 tablespoons is anywhere from 50-100 calories. But what do you eat it with? I try to keep all of my snacks under 150 calories so I'm having trouble coming up with good snacks to go with my hummus.

I'm curious what others eat with their Hummus so I can try out some different options.

Thanks in advance for your input :)

Replies

• AmyJoShanks
    AmyJoShanks Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies - 2 cups of vegetables is 56 calories (according to MFP :wink: )
  • brownbeauty2013
    brownbeauty2013 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hummus is good on carrots, celery,tomatoes, pita bread and it may be good on cucumbers too.
  • lydbug08
    lydbug08 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    i love hummus! i use raw veggies too! or a slice of low fat bread. i love country hearth lite wheat bread. it's 35 calories/slice.
    i've also recently gotten into the special k crackers. so far i've had them w/ chili and chicken and taco salad. they have different flavors. my favorite is the sour cream and onion. you can have about 27 chips for 110 calories. but you can have half of that to keep your calories down. i think those would be really good to dip w/ hummus too! i've made awesome chicken sandwiches
    by spreading a couple tbs of hummus on pita w/ grilled chicken slices, tomatoes, cucumbers and onion. awesome-- so yummy!
    :smile:
  • eyecandyrayce
    eyecandyrayce Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    These are all yummy suggestions. Thanks!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    veggie sticks or crackers.
    also tasty on a sandwich in place of mayo
  • Kelea87
    Options
    Is there less fat and calories in pita bread, than in nachos or tostitos that people usually eat humus with ? I am wondering which one would be better for a diet.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,702 Member
    Options
    On most days I will have 50g of raw sugar snaps or green beans dipped in hummous.
  • fitandskinnygal
    Options
    I love mine with whole wheat pita bread or chips! YUM.
  • ladymcnei
    ladymcnei Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love mine with whole wheat pita bread or chips! YUM.

me too!!
  • rhondatime2chg
    rhondatime2chg Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Raw veggies with hummus - yum! My favorites are carrots and cucumbers
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    I like to make a sandwich out of it.. 2 slices sarah lee 45k bread. lighty toaste ... cup of alfaprouts.....i use a 1/2 serving of wholly guacomolle and lowfat swiss cheee and cucumbers and a small sald on the side . calries usually aournd 325.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Hummus - 2 tablespoons is anywhere from 50-100 calories. But what do you eat it with? I try to keep all of my snacks under 150 calories so I'm having trouble coming up with good snacks to go with my hummus.

I'm curious what others eat with their Hummus so I can try out some different options.

Thanks in advance for your input :)
    I eat Hummus just like in the Middle East as part of a whole meal and not as a snack......usually with flat bread, raw peppers, sliced cucumbers. I also make bruschetta with hummus and sliced tomatoes or use hummus anywhere on sandwiches instead of mayo. Or a big mixed salad with a side of plain yogurt, hummus and a few spoons of Pico de Gallo....the list can be endless.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    Is there less fat and calories in pita bread, than in nachos or tostitos that people usually eat humus with ? I am wondering which one would be better for a diet.
    unless the chips are oven baked they always have more calories, because they are fried in oil, while pita bread is an unleavened bread baked in the oven. I bake stale pita bread a second time in the oven and it comes out as very thin, crunchy, but fat free chips.
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    At least once a week I'll have a Dipping Dinner. Finger foods with hummus.

Turkey or chicken
    String cheese
    Baby carrots
    Sugar snap peas
    Grape tomatoes or tomato slices
    Green beans
    Celery
    Hummus. A lot of hummus.

It's yummy and healthy and super filling.
    Hummus is yummus.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    veggie sticks or crackers.
    also tasty on a sandwich in place of mayo

I second the sandwich use. Maybe because I'm not a mayo fan, so I try to find decent substitutes.
  • Kelea87
    Options
    Thanks ! :) I just made the switch. Tostitos went to the garbage, and I got whole grain pita bread. I cheked the nutritionnal info and there is definitely less fat, and calories, in this one.
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Cut up apple slices ,yum.
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    One of my favorite snacks to eat with hummus is nice red, sweet bell pepper slices. Delicious!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    as a dip, as a sandwich spread, in recipes where you'd also use mayo..
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    pretzel crisps