post knee repair

Hello all, I was hoping to get some advice. I blew my knee out and got it repaired just over a year ago. My problem is my surgeon told me I cant run, or do zumba, and anything that makes my knee hurt while im doing it is just doing more damage, that I will never build up a tolerence to these things, and that its just shortening the time I have before a knee replacement. Im only 30, and dont plan on getting a knee replacement until I absolutely need one! So other than walking and biking I cant quite figure out a good exercise thats fun. I have a hard time squatting, and kneeling too, so pilates and yoga can be pretty painful :/ any suggestions?

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Do you have access to a swimming pool? What about boxing? I'd also get a second opinion - not saying that your dr. isn't good, but I'd definitely like to hear what someone else says before limiting everything. People come back from crazy knee injuries all the time and can sometimes be stronger and better with the right therapy.
  • puboochu
    puboochu Posts: 48 Member
    I was thinking about finding a swimming class, but there's not a ton of options near me! I thought it was weird too when he said that, but I guess he's worried about my meniscus repair not holding...
  • puboochu
    Boxing sounds fun! I'll have to look into that!
  • What does "blew out" you knee mean? After one year most orthopedic surgical repairs should feel normal unless the rehab didn't go well or you cut it short or got back to a lot of physical stuff too soon. Let me know. I know something about knees and orthopedic surgery.
  • puboochu
    I ruptured my acl, mcl, and ripped my meniscus in half. He was able to save the meniscus instead of clipping it, but he seemed very concerned about the stitches not holding properly. I went to pt until they told me to stop, and did everything the way they told me. I was cleared to "normal activity", but at the same time told not to do any of the above mentioned activities.