My Fitness Pal vs. Dotfit, huge disprities.

Options
So dotfit tells me I burn about 3600 calories a day by being alive, and I should intake a little over 3000 calories. Myfitnesspal says nothing about how many calories I burn by being alive, and tell me to eat a little under 2000 calories.

1000 Calories is a HUGE difference. How do I know which one to go by?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Dotfit is selling food. No surprise they're telling you to eat more.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    There are tons of different websites that calculate calorie targets for you. Look around and get more opinions.
  • Doublerayne
    Options
    True, but is there a way to see how many calories I burn per day by being alive with myfitness pal?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    When you use MFP it expects you to log your workouts and eat back the earned exercise calories. Are you taking this into account? Usually this brings it in line with other calculators on the web (which tend to include your workout calories whether you do the workout or not).
  • Doublerayne
    Options
    True, but standing for almost 40 hours a week every week, there's no way to put that in. I understand it doesn't burn a TON of calories, but standing for 8 hours at a time definitely burns more than being sedentary. So I'm never sure of my "actual" calories. It's just frustrating. How do I know how much I'm supposed to eat if I can't log simple things like that, or weight lifting exercises that have no metric for calories burned.

I'm totally on board with the food diary, ad I enjoy the huge library they have, but I want to be able to accurately use the calories meter, and I feel like I'm missing something.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    True, but standing for almost 40 hours a week every week, there's no way to put that in. I understand it doesn't burn a TON of calories, but standing for 8 hours at a time definitely burns more than being sedentary. So I'm never sure of my "actual" calories. It's just frustrating. How do I know how much I'm supposed to eat if I can't log simple things like that, or weight lifting exercises that have no metric for calories burned.

I'm totally on board with the food diary, ad I enjoy the huge library they have, but I want to be able to accurately use the calories meter, and I feel like I'm missing something.
    I think I found a website that estimated standing calories burned, and it ended up being about 5 calories an hour more than sitting. So, you get essentially and extra 40 calories a day for the 5 working days (I'm assuming you get two days off).

However, all calorie burns are estimates. The calorie listing on the back of food packaging is an estimate. What if you only burned an extra 35 calories, and that taco you eat has an extra 100 calories?! What will you do?!?!?!

Nothing. Don't sweat the small stuff. Start with a calorie intake level (you can look at several calculators and go with an average) and stick with that for a month. Look at your weight at the end of the month. Did you lose what you were expecting or not? Cut out an additional 100 calories if you aren't losing at a moderate rate. Do it for another month and reassess. Losing too quickly? Eat more food. Etc.

And be sure that your counting of calories is as accurate as possible, because if it's not, what's the point? Weigh your food with a scale. Use a heart rate monitor for exercise. Log exercise calories correctly (if you're using MFP as designed you eat back the exercise calories), and don't count standing, chewing gum, or sex as exercise.

It really will be fine.
  • wildirishrose162
    wildirishrose162 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm almost positive when you set up your MFP there is a spot to say what kind of lifestyle you have. I went from working on my feet all day (at a day care) to being at a desk and I'm almost positive I switched that on MFP.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    MFP can handle both of those things, you just may not have looked in the right place.

Re: daily calorie expenditure if you go to My Home and then Goals, your total calories from normal daily activity is displayed in the right hand column. This reflects the # of calories you burn before exericse.

Re: your standing all day, change your activity level from sedentary to lightly active as that is for folks who work on their feet all day. To do this, you can go to My Home then Settings then Update diet/fitness profile.

Once you change those up and add in your average exericse, I'd bet it'll be pretty close to what that other site gave you for calories.
  • FXOjafar
    FXOjafar Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    True, but is there a way to see how many calories I burn per day by being alive with myfitness pal?

You can use this calculator http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/ even if you aren't doing keto to work out your base metabolic rate.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would also assume that Dotfit includes exercise in your caloric requirment, whereas MFP only accounts for it when you log it, which is why you are suppose to eat those cals back.

And MFP does tell you how many cals you burn being alive, go to goal>look at the top right, "cals burned from normal daily activity"
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    So dotfit tells me I burn about 3600 calories a day by being alive, and I should intake a little over 3000 calories. Myfitnesspal says nothing about how many calories I burn by being alive, and tell me to eat a little under 2000 calories.

1000 Calories is a HUGE difference. How do I know which one to go by?
    As folks have said, MFP does give you your daily calorie burn in your goal information on the website. Not sure about the smart phone app. MFP will also calculate with exercise when you set your activity level.

I jumped over to the dotfit site and used their calculator. Came out to within 100 calories of MFP. I'm going out on a limb here, but I would bet you are really over calculating your activity level on dotfit. What did you plug into dotfit's calculator? What did you plug into MFP?

My opinion and experience with all of the calculators is that the sedentary, light activity, moderate activity, extremely active, etc really over estimate calorie burn beyond sedentary. Again, this is just my opinion, but I always default to sedentary. I then log my exercise, or activity level, and eat back those calories. Seems to be more "accurate" in that I see better results.