Anyone Slimfast?

Options
2»

Replies

• leefox79
    leefox79 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have started using the shakes twice a day, but only as a replacement for morning and afternoon snacks. Hoping this will tame my hunger a bit between meals.
  • gurlygirlrcr80
    gurlygirlrcr80 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Half a scoop of slimfast, half scoop of protein (i like my body fortress but I know people who use shakeology and other proteins too and like the blend) and a tablespoon of peanut butter with Almond MIlk, ice and blend... I have that for breakfast every day because I can't handle a meal in the morning and it fills me up till lunch and I've lost weight with it as part of the whole eatting well and working out routine.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I keep a few cans of SlimFast in my fridge for days when I either really don't feel like eating, really don't have the time to eat before work, or want to kick my smoothies up a notch. I don't think I even have them once a month, though.

There's no magic in SlimFast that makes you lose weight -- all the shakes do is simplify creating a caloric deficit. You can achieve the exact same results by eating 200kcals (or 180, or whatever a can of SlimFast is) at breakfast and lunch followed by a normal dinner.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    m-f my dinner consists of Met-rx meal replacment drink mix

i bump it up with two scoops of frozen yogurt and 1 scoop of ONS chocolate whey protein. it is around 400 calories (give or take)
  • bgelliott
    bgelliott Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    If it works for you and keeps you full then keep using it. There is no reason to change to a protein powder because all that is, is protein where slimfast, carnation good start and other meal replacements have other nutrients for your body to work on. Another really great one is Shakeology . You only need straight protein powder if you absolutely cannot get enough protein from your meals and you are really trying to increase muscle mass.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Why is it that people gain the weight back? I have no problem maintaining weight but a problem with losing weight
    Well if you had no problem maintaining, then why do you have to lose weight?In other words, you HAD a problem maintaining which is why you gained weight. Yes?

People gain weight back because a liquid diet is usually lower in calories. Eat more calories than previous and weight goes up. Unless one is willing to do Slimfast for life to maintain, the approach should be learning how to eat less calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I tried it in high school. I didn't lose any weight with it but when I went off of it I dropped 5 lbs or so. I didn't count calories then though.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I keep a few cans of SlimFast in my fridge for days when I either really don't feel like eating, really don't have the time to eat before work, or want to kick my smoothies up a notch. I don't think I even have them once a month, though.

There's no magic in SlimFast that makes you lose weight -- all the shakes do is simplify creating a caloric deficit. You can achieve the exact same results by eating 200kcals (or 180, or whatever a can of SlimFast is) at breakfast and lunch followed by a normal dinner.

Ditto!
  • Nicola0000
    Nicola0000 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I have been having such a hard time losing weight I feel like I work my butt off but never see anything results wise because of calories I guess so ive decided Im going to do slimfast shakes twice a day and a meal. Has anyone has success. I just took my first shake and I am anxious to see some results. Its been good so far it keeps me full for a long time! That was another problem was I would be starving and have to eat something.

I would stay well away from these. Eat real, healthy food, not chemicals. How many cals are you eating a day? If you open your diary, maybe we could give feedback on why you might not be losing?
    Very low calorie diets like slimfast, wreck havoc on your metabolism. You lose weight to start with as you're creating a huge calorie deficit, but then your body adapts, slows its metabolism, and you'll stop losing weight.
    I wouldn't worry about protein shakes. They do build muscle and good after a hard workout, but eating more protein will keep you feeling full for longer. But this is best to get from real food like chicken, eggs etc (although I struggle to eat too much meat so do use them after a workout).
  • Nix_Way
    Nix_Way Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I use the blender Slimfast shakes for breakfast alot of times. 1 scoop an 8oz of Fat Free milk and a few ice cubes and bam! Breakfast!
    I'm not a breakfast kinda person, so if I didn't do this I would totally skip it! But then I would be SO hungry by lunch. I know its not a really healthy thing to do, but I figure its gotta be better than skipping breakfast!!
  • julialisa
    julialisa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the Slimfast High protein low carb powder. I have never had a weight problem until about 5 years ago. I'm not a breakfast eater or even sometimes a lunch eater. But now after dinner, I seem to binge on carbs and sweets. Dr says when I slow down and do eat, my body is craving carbs so I over eat at night. The slimfast, with 2 tablespoon quick oats mixed in for breakfast and lunch have been great. I'm giving my body what it needs during the day and I eat more normally at night. I get a moderate amount of exercise because of my job and have lost 5 pounds in the last month. After I lose the extra 20 pounds, I'll probably continue this because I feel better during the day. Most people gain the weight back because they go back to eating the way they did before and never deal with the problem that made them gain the weight in the first place.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    tekeyla25 wrote: »
    Why is it that people gain the weight back? I have no problem maintaining weight but a problem with losing weight

Somewhere between 90-95% of people who lose weight ......gain it back. This is REALLY common.

Lifestyle changes is why people gain the weight back. Make a temporary change to lose weight...then go back to eating normally. Um, my normal = fat person.

I'm fat because my portions are too big. Slim Fast (or any meal replacement) does nothing to address that. SlimFast takes all that measuring and logging business away. Hey, you don't even need this website.

I've done SlimFast....sugar is not filling. Protein shakes have more protein, but my daily nutritional requirements are more than just protein. Fat - fiber - micronutrients. Carbs are not a medical issue for me. I like them just fine.

If you are one of the 5% who has no trouble keeping weight off....good for you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,556 Member
    Options
    Zombie thread. It's been awhile since I've seen one so old.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Slimfast works in the same way as what you were doing before. The difference with slim-fast is, it's all kind of 'done' for you. Instead of deciding what to eat, you have your shake which has the calories required packed in to it. As long as there is a deficit in place - you'll lose weight and that's regardless of drinking your calories or eating them. Having said that, I'm not sure you will nutritionally be getting everything your body needs but I'm not an expert. I HAVE tried a 'shake diet' and I can categorically tell you they aren't necessary or fulfilling. That's my opinion.
  • AJF230
    AJF230 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Slim fast is great if you want to lose fat and muscle in equal amounts to drop weight. "The worse you want it, the worse you'll get it."

Getting a BMR test is the best way to start to compute what you need every day and counting your intake, and setting the right deficit.