Where can I cut down?

2»

Replies

• sanderdejonge
    sanderdejonge Posts: 415 Member
    I quickly gazed through your diary. I can't tell what food is good for a diet to lose weight, but I can tell you're not eating enough protein. If you don't eat enough protein your body will break down muscle tissue instead of building it.

Edit:
    Daily protein intake advise for normal (so not endurance sporter, bodybuilders or the such) need about 0.8gr of protein per kg of body weight. Endurance sporters will need 1.2-1.4 gr and bodybuilders 1.7-1.8 gr per kg of body weight.
  • leighla323
    leighla323 Posts: 3 Member
    I play rugby very competively and if your team is working you will see the pounds drop trust me.

HOWEVER I also know many teams where rugby is more of a social aspect and they drink heavily after games and practices and eat junk. Unfortunately with women's teams you see many overweight players. On my team our forwards and backs are all roughly the same size. Our forwards are the best in the league not because of size but because of strength and speed. I say this only as a warning. I am a forward and have heard many other forwards laugh at me because I am "small" aka not overweight. Don't let them think you need to be big to be a forward! (if you are).

Our forwards and backs practice together meaning the forwards run just as much as our backs. If your team splits up your practices and the forwards spend most of the practice hitting the scrummager or practice tackling, then I suggest running with the backs.

This helped me and I shed the pounds in between outdoor track throwing and rugby seasons :)
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 674 Member
    I am in the "20 pounds may be too aggressive in that time line" camp. I have 17 to go to goal and I changed my loss to .5 per week. You first need to figure out a reasonable calorie deficit, and then stick to that calorie deficit. Weight loss is not linear, you could lose it all quicker than you expect or it could take many more months, but who cares? It's about keeping it off for life right? It's about sustainability right?

Consistency and accuracy are key. Best advise is get a scale and weigh everything. With such a small amount to lose you have a smaller margin for error. Good luck!
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    One thing I can suggest you to do is to switch your Creamy Italian Dressing, your consuming alot on just those little tablespoons adding up. Do you accurately measure it? Or are you guessing. A suggestion is to switch to a more oil based one that has less calories. You can make a home made vinagarette as well.
  • I play rugby very competively and if your team is working you will see the pounds drop trust me.

HOWEVER I also know many teams where rugby is more of a social aspect and they drink heavily after games and practices and eat junk. Unfortunately with women's teams you see many overweight players. On my team our forwards and backs are all roughly the same size. Our forwards are the best in the league not because of size but because of strength and speed. I say this only as a warning. I am a forward and have heard many other forwards laugh at me because I am "small" aka not overweight. Don't let them think you need to be big to be a forward! (if you are).

Our forwards and backs practice together meaning the forwards run just as much as our backs. If your team splits up your practices and the forwards spend most of the practice hitting the scrummager or practice tackling, then I suggest running with the backs.

This helped me and I shed the pounds in between outdoor track throwing and rugby seasons :)

Hi, thanks for responding. I play on a D1 college team, so my team is more competitive than social. I am a forward (loose head prop), and our pack is pretty small, though there is a sizable difference between our forwards and backs. We don't split in practice at all, so the running is good for me (I could be doing more). I think my problem is that I ate whatever I wanted and however much of it because I was playing rugby 4x a week. Things really hit home when I realized that I could no longer keep up in a game. That feeling of uselessness and being pulled out after the half is what kickstarted my turnaround. I'm looking forward to what a healthy diet and the rigorous practices will do to my body.
  • One thing I can suggest you to do is to switch your Creamy Italian Dressing, your consuming alot on just those little tablespoons adding up. Do you accurately measure it? Or are you guessing. A suggestion is to switch to a more oil based one that has less calories. You can make a home made vinagarette as well.

I'm guessing, and adding a little more bc I'd rather be logging over than under. I'll look into the home made vinaigrette dressing. It's the vinegary taste that I like, so it should be easy to switch over.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Your calorie intake has been fine (if you have been accurately tracking, this is best done with a food scale!). You don't need to be any lower than you are in terms of calories.

However, I would suggest you try to swap out some of the carb heavy and processed foods in your diet for more high protein meals/snacks. Not necessary to lose weight, but better for your overall health.

Your sugar was really high one day. This is another problem with processed foods that are marketed is "low fat", they tend to be loaded in sugar. Full-fat options are generally a little higher in calories but a much healthier choice. There are vitamins etc that are only soluble in fats so you shouldn't be aiming to eliminate it from your diet.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,033 Member
    Log EVERYTHING the good ,bad and the ugly....it makes you more aware and less likely to overeat

Look at other peoples diaries to get ideas....you dont have to be perfect, just stay within your calories, you are using alot of calories on salad dressing, french fries and things that arent very filling, you will feel more satisfied if you get eat foods that are filling for the amount of calories they provide, example......chicken, sushi, turkey burgers,fiber one bars,popcorn,apples etc
  • Seesawboomerang
    Seesawboomerang Posts: 296 Member
    Lots of lean protein helps curb the hunger pangs.