Staying Motivated

Options
I was wondering how people keep themselves motivated. I'm having some trouble currently.

Replies

• markedbyawolf
    Options
    Quotes, Images, Articles, Friends, Meditation, Positive Affirmations...
  • hmjohnson25
    hmjohnson25 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Momentum. The more I work out or eat well, the more I want to keep doing those things. It's tough to push through the times when you really don't wanna, but once you get rolling, momentum keeps you going in the right direction.
  • bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I try to get a rhythm going. You may have to try initially to get the ball rolling and get a few days under your belt. When that doesn't work I turn to things that motivate me, whether it's MFP or some of the inspiring girls I follow on FB. Sometimes I'll fool myself and say "I'll just do half of the video" but once I'm there I don't wanna stop. And at the end of the day it's up to you to do it right? So you gotta motivate yourself. Sometimes music helps as well!
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You are taking control of your life, every second you spend working out you are paying back to yourself, no one else has control over it, no one else directly benefits from it but you. So why not take care of you and give yourself everything you have. Every good food decision you make you are adding to the exercise that you are already doing for yourself. So whats not to be motivated about. Its not vain its not superficial you are taking care of yourself, and that's all that matters when its comes to your health.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    change up your routine for a bit.
    friends can help
    remind yourself what motivated you in the first place.
    sometimes it helps if you try to motivate others...motivation is contagious.
    i agree with reading quotes, watch inspirational youtube videos, IG.

Hardest part is getting started. Once you start a workout, you should forget the negative feelings pretty easily.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Just keeping in mind that its about progress not perfection. Missing a day, having a treat, etc. isn't a bad thing, just don't let it become a habit.
  • lucan07
    lucan07 Posts: 509
    Options
    I have little trouble staying motivated but to remind me the other day I loaded a backpack with 99lbs, the weight I had lost to date and did 10k on the elliptical.

I was totally exhausted and realising that this was normal earlier this year I am more determined than ever to reach my goal!

I also pop £5 into the pot for every 1lb I lose so when I reach my goal of 183lbs from 308lbs I will have £625 towards my new wardrobe.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I look at old pictures of myself. That usually lights a fire under my *kitten*.
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I change up my routine. I run daily, and I have started to add interval-work every 5 days. Not running the same way every day helps me keep a positive attitude.

Second --pretty corny, I know-- there is a special someone in my life and she does a good job at keeping me on track and on target. Do you have someone the can be a cheerleader for you?
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    To be perfectly honest some days I have no motivation at all but my reminders keep buzzing and my food is already prepped and I really don't feel like going out and buying something different. You just have to plan to keep yourself on track even if some days you would rather not. Plan it, schedule it and make it a habit.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I do a couple of things:

1. I have a hideous fat picture of me on my fridge. I'm at Disney World, wearing shorts that are riding up, and my beloved family didn't bother to tell me that my bra was funky and one boob is about 3" higher than the other. I look at that picture every day and cringe.

2. I set intermediate goals and reward myself. I like having something to look forward to.
  • _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I stop and think about how it felt to be me a year ago, that usually does it.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    In the moment, while working out? Good, motivating music helps me stay motivated. When I need an extra boost, I look to Pinterest. Inspiring and uplifting quotes/pictures of my goal body, all help keep me on track.
  • sammi674
    Options
    The only thing that really motivates me is seeing pictures of people who are my height, lost the same amount I need to lose, and have a similar plan. Seeing people with similar stats as me that are now thin, makes me believe I can do it too.
  • perrinjoshua
    perrinjoshua Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Wow lucan, that's an amazing loss and an amazing idea! WTG!
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I was wondering how people keep themselves motivated. I'm having some trouble currently.

Friends, pictures, success stories! We all stumble and need support from others to help us get back on track.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Don't rely on it to get you to where you need to be. Instead, make a commitment to yourself and just do it.

You don't rely on motivation to get up and go to work everyday or take care of your kids or pets, right? It's something that you've committed yourself to do and whether you like it or not, you do it. So make a commitment to take better care of yourself and just get that workout done even when you don't feel like it.
  • goodgyrl2
    Options
    I was introduced to the MFP application 8 months ago. I immediately downloaded it and began using it the very next day. 8 months later, I am down 50 lbs, 4 dress sizes and I feel great. I've been battling RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) for 16 years being dependent on a cocktail of medicines to ease the flareups. Since losing the weight, my RA doc has taken me off the Enbrel shots and my flareups are few and far between. I am 25 lbs away from my goal weight of 170 lbs and a health and promising future. My motivation is seeing the numbers from my blood test, hearing my doctors say positive things each visit and being able to get through my day pain free. Having a gym partner helps alot.
  • trudijoy
    trudijoy Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    i just do. It's what I want. IF you genuinely want it, focus on why you want it, and it will help.
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    I add to, trim, or simply read through a pinterest I created to help keep me focused.

http://www.pinterest.com/mikeykhan2003/motivation/

It saves me from pizza and nachos 95% of the time, and that's exactly the sort of self control I'm looking for.