Marathon Training, Lots of Questions

Options
So, I have committed to running a Marathon on May 4th & July 27th. I have been loosing weight while learning to run and now while running. I started my journey here on MFP at 352.2. Since then running is my mainstay. Longest run so far is 9 miles. This week I have ran a 3M, 5M and still have a 8M & 3M to run.

Since learning to run I've lost 106 lbs. I just did my first 2 5K's last week, I have a 4M race on the 15th of December and a 8 3/4 Mile Beach Race on January 25th. I am going to be doing 5K-10k races every month leading up to my Marathon. Along with my 4 runs a week training schedule and 1 day of cross training thats undecided.

So my questions and thoughts follow :D

I don't eat my exercise calories back yet. As at 1600 calories I'm just not hungry if I eat all of those in a day. Like today I ran 5 miles and will walk 1.5 miles this evening with hubby with about 1300 calories burning. I just had a very filling dinner. There is just not way I could eat those calories back.

However, @246 that is fine but I know as I loose more weight over the next 22 weeks I probably will need to. How much of those should i eat back? And I really wanna hear both sides of the story.. why you should and why its ok not too.

Also, I don't want those to be junk calories, what do u use to fill those exercise calories in a way that it doesn't become a snacking fest. I don't want to slip back into old habits.

Also, what kind of snack does one take for a full marathon? What are good cross training exercises? How should I fuel the week before etc?

I will be having my first physical since loosing the initial 32 before MYP and the 106 since. What are some questions you would ask your dr? after loosing some weight is there anything I should have him check out?

Any thoughts, advice etc. would be greatly appreciated :D

Replies

• Ferrea
    Ferrea Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a running noob (just did my first 5k a month ago), and www.runnersworld.com has been pretty helpful in answering my questions about running and running nutrition.

I've read that you should avoid eating much fiber for a few days before a big race (in order to avoid the dreaded "runner's trots"), and on race day you shouldn't try eating new foods that might upset your stomach. I've heard that you should try to get in a good balance of carbs and protein as throughout your training to help you build muscle and fuel your running.

As far as eating back exercise calories, that's something that you could talk to your doctor about and see if she/he thinks you should eat more calories.

As you increase your mileage while training for your marathons, I'm guessing that you'll want to start eating back at least some of your exercise calories, since you'll be running A LOT, and if you're not getting enough, you could start feeling really tired or sore.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Congrats on making it this far, and for signing up for your first marathon.

1). Eating at so large a deficit is NOT A GOOD IDEA for marathon training. I suspect you know this. I eat very close to maintenance while in training. Often I will not feel like eating back 1800 calories after a 20-mile run, so I tend to switch to TDEE method and spread my calories out over the course of the week. I'm a 5'9, 145lb woman at 22% body fat, and I eat 2700+/day during training. this accounts for about 50 mile run per week. On this diet I will still lose a few pounds during training. If you don't eat enough, first off there is the dreaded 'bonk' - you will feel it on your runs. Secondly, not getting enough protein means losing muscle as your runs get longer and longer. When people talk about running making you 'skinny fat', this is what they mean. Running in and of itself won't, but running without being smart about your nutrition will.

1a) 1300 seems a bit high for a 5 mile run and a 1.5 mile walk, even at 246lbs. Using the standard ".63 x weight x miles" I got a burn of 775 cals for the running.

2). As for what I eat, I make sure to hit my protein first (1g per lb lean body mass). You will be running a lot. You need to have adequate protein for muscle repair. There is a lot of cheese, greek yogurt, lean fish, and eggs in my diet. Runs over 10 miles get a protein shake at the end. I have lots of fresh fruit around at all times. I find that I will crave pineapple or a banana much more than chocolate. That being said, once I've met my macros goals, bring on the Ben and Jerry's.

3) What works during/before runs? That is entirely up to you. I can't run on a full stomach, so usually its an apple or banana with peanut butter an hour or thirty minutes before. For road runs during training I won't eat anything (except a test 20-miler with my energy gels to make sure I won't have any problems). On race day, I take a gel every 6 miles for an added kick. You will have to work out what you like on your training runs.

4) Cross training - STRENGTH! Squats, planks, pushups, lunges. It doesn't have to be weighted, but you need to develop those core muscles and keep your glutes, hammies, and quads strong to avoid injury.

5) Eating the week before is personal as well. Don't eat anything strange the day before the race. Stay away from high fiber and spicy foods. Carb loading doesn't mean stuffing your face the night before - that would be a bad idea. Up your carb intake 2-3 days before the race, then eat 'normally' the night before. You don't want to be weighed down on race day. There are a ton of glycogen-loading strategies out there, but for your first 26.2, don't over think it.

As far as other things go, just get a plan and stick to it. You will get sick. You will miss a run. It will be fine. Don't increase too fast (10% mileage increase per week). Invest in some body glide. Good luck!
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Hi there! 5 months away from your first marathon!

I made the decision to run my first marathon about this time last year. I ran one on May 5th & again on July 20th. That is not a lot of time inbetween (11 weeks.. but the second marathon was a lot better experience than my first).

I've now ran 4 full marathons. My mileage was 40+ a week for almost 2 years before running my first full- I had also done several runs over 12 miles before even making the decision to sign up for a marathon. How much experience do you have running at this point?

I eat about 2400 calories a day and I weigh 130 pounds at 5'7". I consider myself at a pretty good running weight. I generally run 45 miles a week trhoughout the year- i'm at about 2,100 miles for the year.. plus I do insanity & weights 2-3 times a week..

I probably burn an average of 750 calories a day throughout the year, so my I'm basically eating 2400 minus exercise 750 so about 1650 a day NET which makes sense to me...

If you are training for a marathon, you're not going to be able to get away with eating 1200 calories a day :)

Depending on your training sched., you will eat accordingly, make sense?

Good luck to you- feel free to add me! First marathons are fun :)

ps- i try to eat clean and when i'm hungry. I view food as "fuel" nothing special really. Generally 55-65% carbs
  • DavidMartinez2
    DavidMartinez2 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I wish I had more time to give you a good answer but I am pressed for time at work. Vmclach has some good advice, I suggest joining the "Long Distance Runners" group here on MFP for more specific running advice.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    First, congrats on the insane weightloss!

Are you doing a full or half marathon? I think a half would be a little more forgiving on your lack of experience at this point, but a full is doable too, just be ready for a lot of hard work. I did a full 8 months after I seriously started running, and I had almost 500 miles under my belt. It was not fun, and I wouldn't recommend again. I feel ready now, but I'm deliberately not doing another 26.2 until next September just so I can get more miles under my belt.

I would set a timeframe that you want to lose weight, then I dunno, maybe 8 weeks out to your marathon (assuming full) you're going to want to stop the weightloss and "maintain" your bodyweight due to the long runs and fatigure your training will put you through. Your brain might not think you're hungry, but your body will tell another story. Your energy will suck, and your recovery time between runs will suck. I net around 1700-2000 a day, on maintenance, and I run 5-6 days per week, 30-40MPW.

As far as what you should be eating, I'm the wrong guy to ask. I am a firm believer in IIFYM. 75% of my intake can be considered "healthy" (oatmeal, yogurt, nutz, lean proteins, whole grains) and the other 25% is just crap like Cheez-its, donuts, pudding, ice cream, and gummi worms. However, I will hit my macronutrients every day.

With your weight, I would want to make sure my heart was ok, as well as my joints. You have put a lot of strain on them over time.

Snacking at marathons is a touchy subject. I like this article: http://blogs.militarytimes.com/pt365/2013/10/25/ask-the-experts-dr-mark-cucuzzellas-hybrid-strategy-for-running-a-marathon/

Train yourself NOW to run on nothing, and build those miles up! And run those miles SLOW!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - you should NOT be in a hurry to run a marathon. Get at least few halfs under your belt and really learn how to run and race.

Having done 26 marathons, I can't being to explain how important miles, miles and more miles are when STARTING your marathon training.

Indeed there will be people who have started marathon training the week after their first 5k, but those marathons rarely end well.

Happy running!
  • essjay76
    essjay76 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    My $.02 - you should NOT be in a hurry to run a marathon. Get at least few halfs under your belt and really learn how to run and race.

Having done 26 marathons, I can't being to explain how important miles, miles and more miles are when STARTING your marathon training.

Indeed there will be people who have started marathon training the week after their first 5k, but those marathons rarely end well.

Happy running!

^^This!!

Actually a lot of good advice here. I did my first marathon without a really good base, just kind of jumped in, and I was miserable. I finished, but told myself I would train better next time and get more running under my belt (which I did, and I shaved a buttload of time off!) But it sounds like you're going to do it anyway...

As far as how much to eat, I would say it's not wise to train on such a huge deficit. Even if you cut out 250 calories a day, that would be sensible and you would still lose weight (half a pound a week). It's possible to lose weight and train for a marathon.

While training for a marathon, I think I eat more than people twice my size. I'm 102 pounds (under 5') and eat up to 2500 a day. I've managed to maintain my weight for the past 1.5 years, through 3 training cycles. (Actually, I lost a pound recently, which is a lot for my frame). I wouldn't be surprised if you start training for the marathon and find that you're sluggish on 1600 calories a day. It's not an excuse to eat whatever you want, but you definitely need to fuel right and think about eating more to keep up with the demands of training.

Good luck!
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    I've probably been in a similar situation to OP. I started running 3 years ago and lost 30kgs over the first year. My first goal was to run a 5k, then 10k, then half, then full. It took me16 months to go from a fat lazy *kitten* to running my first full. And going further appealed because Im not fast, and it just seemed logical to keep going far.
    To begin with, i was really into my calorie goals, hitting macros and all that stuff. I've stopped monitoring that so closely, and i generally maintain- even though i could still benefit to drop another 15kgs.
    You can do it. I can't tell you about what your cals should be because i don't get what mine do! But you'll know what you need as you start to crank out more miles and crank up the intensity.
    I eat quite specifically when i'm training for a full. My training consists of 2 short runs (3-6 miles), a mid run (6-10 miles) and a long run (up to 22 miles). I also do squats, lunges, planks, donkey kicks, bridges, clams, press ups, weights- anything that will help my core. I find that when i dont do these, i end up running shlumpy after a few miles. Ive also noted that with increased thigh type exercises, my stride is longer and form seems better, and therefore distance runs are less painful.
    Diet-wise, i avoid spicy foods for 2-3 days before long runs. I'm conscious of how mug veg and fruit i have. I plan my route so that within 20 mins of leaving the house for every run, i'm at a toilet. i picked up an elliptical trainer off the internet for $20- it's from 1976, but that doesn't matter. I have it as an emergency back up. if the weather is too bad or its too late to go for a run, then i can always go on that for 45 mins (which replaces a short run), or about an hour (to replace a mid run). Not used to replace a long run.
    clothes are important over long runs. running tights are important, but a long sleeved compression top is vital to stop chafing around the bingo wings (upper arms)- otherwise your tshirt rubs right there and it's so painful. also need to vaseline underneath your well fitting sports bra.

Generally, as you go you will find out what works for you. we're all different. but you have some good tips here. And FWIW my next full is on 3rd may! it's a repeat of my 1st full last year. We'll be training buddies!

I like hal higdons marathon training plan. i'll be using that again, although the jeff galloway method sounds like it might be good for me this time.
  • jesserunsfree
    jesserunsfree Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    First of all THANK YOU!! For all of your responses it brought up a lot of great things for me to talk with my dr about. Also made me challenge myself and really think is this what I want to do.

I am a really committed person and come hell or highwater once I decide I always follow through. So my goal is to run this marathon on May 4th. What's the worse that can happen? I have to walk to the finish line. I can take that.

As far as loosing the last 70 odd pounds and my calorie burn I'm going to monitor it closely with my Dr and how I feel. I think everyone is right when I hit higher mileage eating more is going to be essential and I am sure my body will tell me :D

As far as where I got my calorie burn I use a polar heart rate monitor tied to Runtastic which syncs into MyFitnessPal I just assumed its accuracy was right on. I will be looking into it further though so I can make sure when I do start eating back calories that I am not overeating.

The biggest help was extra exercises as I was most interested to see what other runners do. Now I am gonna have to see if I can get a day pass to work with a local trainer as some of these exercises I do not know.
  • BenKnowsFitness
    BenKnowsFitness Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Some advice from a hack runner...

To train I ran 18 to 22 miles per week for several months. That's it, no other prep with food or anything. On the big day it took 5 hours to finish and I hit the wall at 18 miles or so (but still was able to run plenty during the last 8 miles). I tried anti chafing stuff but it did not work so many parts were very raw after. One other thing, I signed up on impulse the day before event (never planned to run so I was not really training for anything)

Good luck :)