Family Eating on a budget????

Options
2»

Replies

• binariiangel
    binariiangel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    A lot of places like Wal-mart & other stores like it are really starting to do the price match guarantee, and as long as you can find a cheaper price online or in your local paper, then you can pull it up either on your smart phone or print it out from your PC & show them. Though sometimes they'll take your word for it. I know what you mean about the budget we'll have roughly $350 to feed 3 adults, and hoping I'm able to adapt our budget, and spending habits to optimize our spending and savings. Freezing stuff and making sure that it's all used is an important part of eating on a budget that I've found so far. Also it's great when you don't feel like cooking a lot!
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    get a crock pot/slow cooker if you don't already have one. They are wonderful if you work full time and allows you to pick up ultra cheap cuts of meat and cook them so they melt. They also allow you to make the meat for more than one meal. I frequently get a chuck roast of 3-4 lbs. and the first dinner is pot roast and then the second may be turned into pot pie or shredded beef tacos, burritos or enchiladas. or a whole chicken is chicken and noodles or rice and I save some of the chicken meat for chicken salad cups the next day AND save the chicken carcass to boil down for stock for either another chicken soup OR use it as stock in a vegetable soup like Butternut Squash.

Agree dried beans are easy and very cheap.

Stock up on frozen veg when they are on sale. They are as good as fresh as long as there is no added salt, sugar or sauce.
    Frozen fruit is also cheap.

agree learning to can fresh fruits and veg is very economical especially if you can swing a garden in the summer or hit the farmer's market for uber cheap super fresh produce - I use water bath method in giant soup pot. Also blanching and freezing is another winner in my book and I LOVE pulling out asparagus or strawberries in the dead of winter when you're getting sick of potatoes and squash.
  • Dee_84
    Dee_84 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I need help!

We are trying to eat better but our problem is that food is so expensive for the good and healthy stuff.
    We have 2 adults and 2 little ones to feed on only $180 a month, no reason to go into why it is so little but that is what we can afford after bills and what not)
    Our kids are easy to feed and always choose fruits and vegetables over sweets (which we don't really buy as it is) and they could live off of PB sandwiches, yogurt, spaghetti, and vegetables/fruit, if I allowed it but that doesn't make a very diverse diet :D

What are the best shopping methods you have to get good food on a super tight budget.
    We do coupon whenever we can but out here it is very poor.
    I do make homemade breads and what not.

Have you ever heard of Bountiful Baskets? It's a food co-op and they have a location in your town (if your profile is correct).
    You contribute on Mondays/Tuesdays and can pick up your basket on Saturdays.
    For under $20 you get a great amount of produce. Just to give you an idea, last time I participated I got: 2 big yams, 3 big baking potatoes, 2 bunches celery, 2 bags carrots, 3 onions, 2 cucumbers, 4 tomatoes, 1 head of lettuce, 1 small cantaloupe melon, 6 apples, 4 bananas and a bag of grapes.
    My husband and I eat A LOT of produce and I will get a basket every one or two weeks (depending on how much I have left from the previous pick up).
    You definitely get your money's worth!

EDIT: Their website is www.bountifulbaskets.org and they also have a facebook page.