Starting HM training in 2 weeks.... eek

stevie2202
stevie2202 Posts: 2
edited September 22 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi everyone...

Im new to the boards and this is the first time Ive posted here.

Im a keen runner and I love exercise, I manage to do exercise 6 days a week and my rest day is today when I only do pilates session.

Ive got my second ever 10k race on 21st Nov and Ive decided to take the plunge and enter for a HM next Spring time, ahhh, Im scared but excited, Ive never ran over 7 miles before but Ive figured that a Spring HM gives me plenty of time to build my distance up, do you agree?

Thanks

Replies

• Beth720
    Beth720 Posts: 661 Member
    My Half training plan is from Marathoning for Mortals, and it's 14 weeks. So depending on when in the spring, you should be fine.
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Absolutey! I started running a little over 3 years ago. When I entered my first 5k, everyone told me I would be hooked. Boy were they ever right! I ran my first 5k and came right home and registered for a half marathon. I used a 16 week program. I did my second half marathon earlier this year.

While I like the shorter races, I think my personal favorite is a 10 miler! Perfect distance to feel challenged, and be able to function afterwards! I just did my 4th one a couple of weeks ago.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    You have plenty of time to build to that distance. The plans I've followed in the past range from 12 to 18 weeks, depending on where I was starting. Starting from a 10K, and having until the spring, seems perfect. Which half marathon? I remember how great it felt to finish my first half marathon and am excited for you!
  • Thanks guys, much appreciated.

Im in Yorkshire in the UK so I will be going for the Sheffield half, I think its quite hilly but Im doing hill training so I hopefully should be prepared. Im dead excited for my 10k, Im running with someone I have trained up over the last few months and she is doing fantastically!
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    I don't think so. But then again, the second I got back from running my first 10K (October 11th) I signed up for a half-marathon in June. Best of luck!
  • RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Actually, it's plenty of time, especially if you are already running anything over 5 miles.
This discussion has been closed.