over 3000 calories 1 day and under 500 next day

Options
I've been here for 6 months on MFP and have had great success, had no troubles losing 80 pounds (currently 160 lb, male 19yo, 5'11) and I have been trying to get into maintenance mode and it is extremely difficult! My maintenance is about 2400 calories a day, I've tried so hard to get up there but this is my situation….

One day I will be like OK i will eat 2400 calories, but end up going overboard and having eaten over 3000 or more…. then next day I am not even close to being hungry and eat very little… this has happened for over 2 weeks now…. My weight has been fluctuating from 160 to 170.. I know it's mostly water and the amount of carbs i've been eating but its so frustrating….. I've calculated my calories from last week and I was around -3500…. but this whole eating a lot one day and eating very little the next is driving me crazy!

Here's the calories from last week
Monday: Eating about 2366 calories
Tuesday: Eating about 72 calories (net- after gym)
Wednesday: Eating about 2550
Thursday: Eating about -131 calories (net - after the gym)
Friday: Eating about 5000 calories
Saturday: Eating about -566 calories (net- after gym)
Sunday: Eating about 4000 calories….

So if I calculated this from my TDEE I would have lost a pound… I don't really want that but I don't want to gain weight either or messing up my body…

Any advice?
I posted this in food and nutrition but I didn't know where this topic should be so I reposted on here

Replies

• sasouna
    sasouna Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    May be planning and logging the whole day ahead?
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I do that but I always end up adding things to it.. maybe I need to work more on my self control
  • mikeykhan2003
    Options
    Might try planning most of your day but leaving yourself an allowance?
  • sasouna
    sasouna Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do that but I always end up adding things to it.. maybe I need to work more on my self control

It should be easy now.. After all you lost 80 lbs
    *touches wood* :bigsmile:
  • Hitesc
    Hitesc Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    haha true, I should somehow get back on track
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    *shrugs* If that style of eating works for you and you are happiest when doing it, I really don't see a problem. There are ways of Intermittent Fasting that have up days and down days, like 5:2 and JUDDD... I do not have as big of ups and downs as yours, but my deficits often vary from day to day. Yesterday I ate 800 over maintenance and the day before I had an 800ish deficit. I just make sure I have an overall weekly deficit.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,719 Member
    Options
    Google 5:2 intermittent fasting. This seems to be what you are doing. My old GP used to do 6:1 intermittent fasting to maintain, whenever he noticed his weight creeping upwards. There are also some 5:2 groups here on the forums.