Measuring question

Options
When I started losing weight, I was 265lbs. I have lost 60lbs in the last 5 months. I am also trying to use measurements to see my progress. This is embarrassing, but as I have lost weight I have ended up with the infamous "apron" that we have heard about so much on mfp. (Deflated belly) Now when I measure my hips a decent amount of that measurement is the "apron". My husband (who does the measuring for me) insists I should be, for lack of a better term, lifting the apron and just measuring my hips. His argument is that, the apron is actually a part of my belly, NOT of my hips. What do you guys suggest?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I think I'd agree with your husband. I'm interested to see what others think though.
  • alwayspleasant
    alwayspleasant Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with your husband, kinda. Measuring the extra skin isn't going to be a true measure of your hips. Measure the place you want (any place as long as it's consistant) if you're measuring for progress. On the other hand, if you're measuring for clothing sizes I would take into account where your waistband will hit - take the measurement there.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    Measuring under the fold makes sense. Just went and measured mine. I have 42 hips and matching legs........... what dress size is that???????? Can't wait for the middle to catch up

Thank you
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yeah, from what you're describing, it sounds like your husband is correct.

Of course, the most important thing is to be consistent with your measuring. If you measure it one way, keep measuring it that way.