Drinking too much water?? Is that even possible?

Options
Hey guys,
I'm curious about water intake. Although I DO NOT log my water intake, I drink roughly 70-80 ounces of water per day. I find that the more water I drink, I don't get hungry, or I can control my eating at the dinner table with a big tall glass of water. I also workout for about 2 hours per day mixed cardio and strength training.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• bellevie86
    bellevie86 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem. The amount you should drink is usually half of your weight in ounces. Also, you sweat two hrs a day :) So you should be fine. Water is great tool in controlling hunger and using it to discourage extra food intake. I myself drink 10-14 cups a day sometimes. I think the only way you can get "too much" would be drinking a litre or whatever super fast!
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,671 Member
    Options
    Just be aware that excessive thirst is a symptom of diabetes. So if you find yourself thirsty all the time, have your blood glucose checked next time you are at the GP.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    drink as much as you want, I drink up to 120 ounces of water a day. The risk of over-intake comes when you drink an excessive amount in a short time... like 40 ounces in 30 minutes. You definitely need to drink more water on the days you workout than days you don't. And water definitely makes you less hungry- mostly because the average person mistakes thirst for hunger! So if you're not thirsty, you wont be "hungry" when you're not!

As long as you spread your water intake throughout the day, you'll be fine :)
  • hwoeltjen
    hwoeltjen Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    You are not drinking too much water.

That being said, you definitely can die from water intoxication. Just don't slam two gallons at the gym.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Yes, it absolutely is possible to drink too much water. Especially when it is coupled with significant amounts of exercise. You can create a situation where there is insufficient electrolyte in your blood stream, and this can be fatal.

To prevent it, drink less, or include electrolytes in what you are drinking.

But at 4-5 litres a day, it is unlikely that you will have an issue.
  • TheBoldCat
    TheBoldCat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    there was a time, I was drinking about 10 litres of water per day. I was thirsty all the time so went to the doc to get some tests (like diabetes, issue with kidneys,etc)...he said all tests results are ok, ...anyway he advised me to decrease the water intake. Nowadays am fine with 4 litres...
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    No such thing..

however the amount of pee breaks I take a day has REALLY added up when I changed my lifestyle.

so. many. pee. breaks.
  • kcb0308
    kcb0308 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I suppose I have a tendency to drink all day cause I'm used to drinking about 7-8 sodas in a day.
  • redladywitch
    redladywitch Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Yes, you can drink too much water. Do what is best for you.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's called hyponotremia. Drink when you are thirsty, and you will be fine.
  • airdiva1
    airdiva1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    No such thing..

however the amount of pee breaks I take a day has REALLY added up when I changed my lifestyle.

so. many. pee. breaks.
    Girl you are telling the truth! I go alot more now.
    I also admit after walking that I drink 16oz of water.
    I do at least 8 and up to 15 at times.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. I suppose I have a tendency to drink all day cause I'm used to drinking about 7-8 sodas in a day.
    Stop drinking sodas; read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soft_drink#Health_effects :drinker:
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I had a few fainting spells during past weight loss attempts and the best answer I could get from medical professionals is that possibly I drank too much water and flushed the electrolytes from my system, causing fainting. (I would sometimes drink over a gallon a day.) So, yes, a person can drink too much water if they are not replacing necessary things like sodium, potassium, calcium at the rate they are expelling them. I always felt dizzy for a few days before I would pass out though, so if you feel okay, you probably are okay.
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    Drinking excessive amounts of water will flush out your electrolytes, but you would have to drink absolutely gallons of water every day. Also, you shouldn't drink water while eating, 1/2 hour before eating, or 1 hour after eating. This way, your food will have time to digest a bit before adding water to the mix and making it a huge sludgy mess for your stomach. But congratulations on being a good water drinker!
  • Pandora_King
    Options
    That's not too much. There is a thing called water toxicity (Google it) but you are no where near that. I drink between 150 - 250 ounces a day.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    No such thing..

so. many. pee. breaks.

What? Yes there is such a thing. It's called water toxicity. Holy crap. :noway:
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    perfect excuse to eat more potato chips
  • haymancm
    haymancm Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to drink half your body weight in oz a day. Eight cups a day is great for a 64 lb person!! lol I drink 150 oz a day & have been for almost 9 months. It rids the sodium in your diet. To flush out sodium, you have to drink more water &/or eat more potassium.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to drink half your body weight in oz a day. Eight cups a day is great for a 64 lb person!! lol I drink 150 oz a day & have been for almost 9 months. It rids the sodium in your diet. To flush out sodium, you have to drink more water &/or eat more potassium.

I drink 6-10 cups of water and remain well hydrated.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Its recommended you drink 8 8oz glasses which is 64oz.
    At 70-80oz youre fine.
    I drink 5+ litres (about 170oz+)

I know I know that theres controversy of the 8 8oz thing.
    Some people like Joy are good at 6 8oz.
    Ive been drinking this much water for years..