Living in an upstairs apartment! Noise levels?!

Options
Okay, so I live in an usptairs apartment and have people living below me. I'm dying to get back into my bodyrock workouts but they require jump rope, burpees, jump squats, etc.. which means I will be making noise. I'm really, really paranoid about this because I respect the people downstairs and don't want to bother them, or even have them complain about it in the first place. I do have a yoga mat.. but I feel like that won't block out the noise enough even if I roll it up. Any recommendations? Besides growing marshmallows on the bottom of my feet.. lol

Replies

• _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    my hands are incapable of not typing a sex joke here...
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member
    Options
    I live above a bar. They turn up the jukebox when my GF comes over for "zumba".
  • pocketmole
    pocketmole Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I used to play DDR in my apartment, which obviously involved tons of stomping around. I would try to do my workouts during the times that my neighbors would be at work, but I know this isn't always an option that works. Whenever I had a party at my place I just popped over to my neighbors house and let them know, and I told them to give me a ring if I was being too noisy. If you're upfront and polite about it I've found that most people really appreciate it. Otherwise you're much more likely to have them file a complaint (I once had a neighbor call the police on me for playing Metal Gear, because my window was open and they could hear my tv from outside).

In the end though, you're in an apartment and there is always going to be SOME noise. I think most people (at least the smart ones) have come to expect this. Just chat with you neighbor to make sure you're not being too crazy, and if possible restrict your stomping to the hours that they won't be home. Otherwise just try to be as quiet as you can or find a nice place to do your exercise routine outside :)
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to them to see if there are particular days and times when they are out and you are in?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Have you spoken to them to see if there are particular days and times when they are out and you are in?

This is what I was going to suggest. Or if there is never a time they are out, ask if there is a time when 30 minutes (or however long your workout is) won't bother them.
  • TheFangsKittie
    TheFangsKittie Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Ummm.... do you give it this much consideration when having sex? No. They will figure it out. Volume - up .... or will just go out.

ETA - this is how I deal with my neighbours. LOL . or how I hope they deal with me :D they recently bought a camper van, so now neither of us has to listen to any happy cardio .... second thoughts buy a camper, perfect neighbour, problem solved.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

This is what I was going to suggest. Or if there is never a time they are out, ask if there is a time when 30 minutes (or however long your workout is) won't bother them.

I was going to suggest this, too. Also, that girl on Bodyrock sounds like she's having sex, so they might just think you're getting lucky and they'll leave you alone. :wink:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I live above a bar. They turn up the jukebox when my GF comes over for "zumba".

I heard zumba burns 1200 calories per hour.

I hope she's eating back the 100 calories she's burning during these "workouts".

ETA: But seriously, OP, talk w/ them. Let them know you'd like to start doing some exercises in your apartment and ask them if there's a certain time of day that would work better for them. Even if you can't change your schedule, they'll appreciate that you considered them.
  • SashleyA
    SashleyA Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've lived in upstairs and downstairs apartments. If you choose times to work out that being loud isn't absurd, then you shouldn't have a problem. Too early in the morning or too late at night would be annoying, but honestly, when my upstairs neighbor worked out it was significantly less annoying than when she played music too loudly or spoke so loudly on her phone that I could hear every word (seriously). Like other commenters said, you can talk to them as well.
  • fuelingit
    Options

I was going to suggest this, too. Also, that girl on Bodyrock sounds like she's having sex, so they might just think you're getting lucky and they'll leave you alone. :wink:

Hahaha funny but true. Thanks for the sex jokes guys.. ha