Diet soda addict

Options
I used to drink coffee on occasion because I enjoy a little caffeine buzz sometimes but it did not agree with my stomach, so I switched to diet pop. I'd have it as a treat now and then and now I have a 591 ml bottle of it everyday with breakfast! I crave it. Then today, I had another one with lunch. Anyone else have this one a day habit and am I going to die from a slow and degenerative caffeine/artificial sweetener disease induced death?

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will be dead by morning drinking the Satan's Juice.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, you will be dead by morning drinking the Satan's Juice.

Totally this. You might check into rehab. Google can help you find options in your area. :smokin:
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    Options
    Has your family staged an intervention yet? If not...be prepared...it's coming.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I have the one a day habit too .....I drink unsweetened iced tea for caffiene....but I MUST have something fizzie everyday. As long as I'm not chugging diet soda all day long (I drink plenty of plain water) .....I'm okay with that. Just my 2 cents.
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Oh no!! I knew it. I don't know how I'll break it to the fam... ;)
    I have the one a day habit too .....I drink unsweetened iced tea for caffiene....but I MUST have something fizzie everyday. As long as I'm not chugging diet soda all day long (I drink plenty of plain water) .....I'm okay with that. Just my 2 cents.

but in all seriousness, this is a good idea. I will try switching over to tea slowly.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,707 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've been dying for 25 years now drinking diet soda.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee all day and diet soda all evening. If my Blood-Caffeine levels drops below 50%, I break out into hives, blackout and go on puppy killing sprees....it's not pretty.
  • TarynAngeline
    TarynAngeline Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Yep. I've been dying for 25 years now drinking diet soda.

IDEA Fitness member

For a man on his death bed I must say you look pretty good. Point taken.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Ive been drinking a lot of diet soda for as long as i can remember, doesnt seem to affect me at all
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I limited myself to one a day for a while. It helped knowing to not give it up completely. I liked that it made me feel "Full," for a temporary period of time when I didn't have time to eat a meal.
  • hassell90
    hassell90 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I drink around 1.5 litres a day and I'm not dead yet
  • Bobbie8786
    Bobbie8786 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I have 2-3 diet sodas every single day, living on the edge, it's just how I roll.
  • dancerbyday
    Options
    Ive been drinking a lot of diet soda for as long as i can remember, doesnt seem to affect me at all

Ya, but you're used to it. I thought I was eating healthy (I've been vegetarian all my life, minimal dairy, pretty good food choices), but recently I've been eating more vegan than vegetarian, juicing almost every day, and generally eating vastly more healthfully than I ever have. I can't BELIEVE how good I feel, or how awful I feel when I have a week of bad nutrition. If you were to stop drinking soda right now -- trust me, after a couple of months, you would never go back.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

Ya, but you're used to it. I thought I was eating healthy (I've been vegetarian all my life, minimal dairy, pretty good food choices), but recently I've been eating more vegan than vegetarian, juicing almost every day, and generally eating vastly more healthfully than I ever have. I can't BELIEVE how good I feel, or how awful I feel when I have a week of bad nutrition. If you were to stop drinking soda right now -- trust me, after a couple of months, you would never go back.
    Anecdotal. I used to give up EVERYTHING when I used to compete and dieted for show (12-16 weeks) which basically meant just water as a drink. Didn't care for it nor did I feel great. In fact even with great "clean" nutrition, I couldn't wait till the contest was finished so I could eat and drink again.

IDEA Fitness member
  • pcole1smile
    Options
    It is addictive for a reason, Makes the soda makers MONEY! Also all artificial sweeteners are extremely addictive. Just lost a friend in death who drank a six pack of the tall diet P. daily. Diagnosed with Type II Diabetes was a little too late really. He went downhill fast...I have a huge sweet tooth but I use Stevia, it is natural and comes from a bush in Brazil not chemicals in a factory...If you need sweet and believe me I do...Make your own tea and add Stevia for the sweet you need. You will get plenty of caffeine and be here a lot longer...Love your body and it will love you back.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options

I did actually do that, and it didn't really change much from when i drank it. Didn't have any cravings at all, nor did i miss it.. but only drinking water for the rest of your life gets pretty boring doesn't it? It's not like i drink a massive amount, just a can every day for lunch, a little bit more during the weekend maybe, but that's about it.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I had a one-a-day diet soda habit, which I gave up last week. I do not feel any better or worse, although I was sleepy for the first few days as my body adjusted because it was my caffeine source. I don't think it was going to kill me, I was just trying to get away from the artificial sweetener and acidity on my teeth (brushing after every soda wasn't going to happen with my schedule). We're all going to die anyway; if having a soda makes you happy, then drink up. You're not hurting anyone else.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    It is addictive for a reason, Makes the soda makers MONEY! Also all artificial sweeteners are extremely addictive. Just lost a friend in death who drank a six pack of the tall diet P. daily. Diagnosed with Type II Diabetes was a little too late really. He went downhill fast...I have a huge sweet tooth but I use Stevia, it is natural and comes from a bush in Brazil not chemicals in a factory...If you need sweet and believe me I do...Make your own tea and add Stevia for the sweet you need. You will get plenty of caffeine and be here a lot longer...Love your body and it will love you back.
    So you're stating that diet soda was the cause of his demise and/or caused the type ll diabetes?:noway:

Stevia is no different in "addiction" that diet soda. They both serve that same purpose...........satisfying a sweet tooth without the calories. And all the "chemicals" in diet soda are also part of regular foods (yes even natural ones) we consume daily.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    So you're stating that diet soda was the cause of his demise and/or caused the type ll diabetes?:noway:

Stevia is no different in "addiction" that diet soda. They both serve that same purpose...........satisfying a sweet tooth without the calories. And all the "chemicals" in diet soda are also part of regular foods (yes even natural ones) we consume daily.

IDEA Fitness member

In for the explanation on this one!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I have a huge sweet tooth but I use Stevia, it is natural and comes from a bush in Brazil not chemicals in a factory...If you need sweet and believe me I do...Make your own tea and add Stevia for the sweet you need. You will get plenty of caffeine and be here a lot longer...Love your body and it will love you back.
    A bush in Brazil?!? Stevia can be grown in your own backyard. Your are fooling yourself if you think the Stevia packets you buy at the store are not manufactured from plants grown in fertilized and pesticide treated soil.