If motivation is key? Than where can I find some?

Options
Hey fellow fitness pals:

As much as I'd love to workout everyday, I can never seem to motivate myself! I know, for the most part, I have to want to actually workout! But it does not seem to help! I know if I actually put my mind to it, I could be in shape, and a lot more fit. I am tired of not doing anything about it, and I am tired of being lazy! But again, I always seem to make excuses. I have no idea where to start, nor have anyone to talk to about this, or even ask for help! Whenever I try, I get no actual "fitness" help. Does anyone have any options on what I should do.. or even where I should start???

Replies

• ktsimons
    ktsimons Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    the turning point for me was when a whole year passed and I was still the same size FAT that I was the birthday before. On my 49th birthday, I decided to a weekly time goal...it was a really small number, too. The first week all I had to do was walk for one hour - I could break it up into the smallest time increments I wanted...sometimes I only walked for 15 minutes in a day! The next week I took it to 1.5 hours, then 2 hours and so on...at some point I got a little bored with working out at home from videos and walking outside. I found a gym that has a variety of classes that are free with the membership and just started doing whatever they offered at 6:30 pm. I did all of it - yoga, body pump, kangoo, tabata, women on weights, etc...as a side benefit, I met some awesome people in these classes and now I am held accountable by these same workout friends. It's kinda cool - I actually belong in the GYM!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing.

Make it a habit.

I had to fight with myself to exercise in the beginning. Then I started lifting weights again which I enjoy, so it wasn't as much of a fight. Then I realized that if I give myself enough time to think about it, I'll find a million and one excuses not to do it. So I started lifting first thing in the morning.

Identify the excuses you are making. Make changes. Make those changes a habit, and before you know it you will feel weird when you don't exercise.
  • whyamiseeingthis
    Options
    !!! Yeah? That's definitely how I feel right now! I am tired of being the same size, as I was last year, I think a little bigger now! My only problem, is that I do not like working out in public without someone I know, & I only have 1 friend, but why I cannot do things with her, is a whole other story! Then the other one is still pregnant. Also my boyfriend is away for weeks at an end because of his job. So it hard for me to leave my place, because It seems like I have no one to help me reach my goal.
  • whyamiseeingthis
    Options
    I totally know what you mean! I used to workout with these apps on my cellphone, and I could feel it working but I got drunk one weekend and it messed me up.. then it did feel weird not working out, but I still didn't motivate myself.. But I definitely get what you are saying!
  • JUDDDing
    JUDDDing Posts: 1,367 Member
    Options
    Do you need "motivation"?

Or do you need to overcome inertia?

I go get on my treadmill and hit the start button. So far I haven't flown off the back of it. :drinker:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Well...the key for me has always been to not feel like I had to exercise every day. Start small and once you get in the habit you will want to do it more, trust me. Too much too soon can lead to burnout.
  • whyamiseeingthis
    Options
    It is not, that I am unwilling to change, it is more, that I am overly too comfortable, at doing nothing!

If I had a treadmill, I`d be on that everyday! ( I think )
  • cchuran
    Options
    Motivation is the key, I agree. Finding your inner motivation is what's hard. Setting sound goals, weight loss aside, is my suggestion. I personally think starting with health goals is a perfect start. Begin with goals such as: "I will go to the gym and walk on the treadmill while watching TV tonight" or "I am going to walk to the mailbox today after work" and walk around the block to get to the mailbox.
    Honestly, it is hard to find motivation, but you need to find what works. Having a friend who is motivated is a perfect start too. Also, I recommend a personal trainer. I am a trainer who offers in-home training and find that works well (and I charge less than gyms). If you would like to check out a link to an ebook on motivation and exercise goal setting, refer to this link: http://www.amazon.com/Exercise-Your-Health-Chris-Churan-ebook/dp/B00H1C8WAK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386208485&sr=8-1&keywords=chris+churan
    Hope this works for you, keep trying!
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    motivation hasnt helped me during the winter when I need to lace up and go for a walk. it hasnt helped me at the party to not take another appetizer or indulge in another drink. it hasnt helped me start running, lifting or eating better. its not motivation, its practice.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Motivation isn't key.

Motivation will get you started, but it's fickle and it'll wear off. That's why you need commitment and habit. I've got a set time that I lift and a set time that I run. I don't let it be a question of whether I'm going to do it. I said I was going to do it, so I do. End of story.
  • sun_fish
    sun_fish Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Motivation isn't key.

Motivation will get you started, but it's fickle and it'll wear off. That's why you need commitment and habit. I've got a set time that I lift and a set time that I run. I don't let it be a question of whether I'm going to do it. I said I was going to do it, so I do. End of story.

Completely agree with this. Nothing more to add.