Complete lack of motivation! Help!

Options
Hey everyone, I'm having an extremely hard time staying motivated. I will care about my health for one or two days and then completely lose interest and eat whatever I want. I've been gaining and losing the same ten pounds for two years. I almost feel like I need someone to keep me accountable because I am doing such a poor job of keeping myself in check. I have no idea why it's so difficult for me to care. I really, really don't give a damn most of the time and this really frustrates me when I'm trying to hop back on the wagon. I feel like two completely different people!! One who wants beer and pizza and netflix every night and one who wants to be a crazy yogini and eat exclusively kale lol. I do NOT want to get to the point where I start to have more health problems. I have a very strong suspicion that I am pre-diabetic and I also experience heartburn frequently and I'm only in my mid-twenties. How do I find motivation for the days where I don't care? Any tips would be seriously appreciated, as well as friends. Please help me save me from myself!

Replies

• lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Sorry my dear, I'm in the same boat. I've tried everything, new meals, different exercise routines, punishments (if I don't do the elliptical I have to clean the toilet), new workout gear...nothing has really worked. I was motivated by the bridesmaids dress I have to wear in august, but that wore off. Keep me posted if you find your miracle.
  • pahock
    pahock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have been fighting the same battle for the past ten years. When I recently had to buy new pants because my size 14's didn't button anymore, I knew it was time to do something. I LOVE food and I HATE exercising so this is really tough for me. I just started working with a trainer. I paid her a month in advance so I can't back out. I dread going because I'm so out of shape. I almost passed out my first night. When I start seeing results is when I usually get motivation. I'm only down four pounds but I can already feel a difference. Keep going one day at a time. Friend me and we can help each other.
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    We're in the same boat! Finding it hard to stay motivated especially when it's the holidays.

For me, I started with one motivation, but once I got what I wanted, I just started to feel like I didn't need to try.

I guess one thing that would work for both of us is to set incentives for milestones. Small milestones, like 5 lbs or 10 lbs. Put away a certain amount of money for every 5 lbs you lose and when you get to your goal weight, use it for a new outfit.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I feel like two completely different people!! One who wants beer and pizza and netflix every night and one who wants to be a crazy yogini and eat exclusively kale lol.

why does it have to be either or? why does it have to be about punishment and lack?

find something you like to do activity wise and do it. find stuff you like to eat and eat it so that it fits in your calorie goals.

also you dont have to be motivated, you just have to be committed. those arent the same things
  • madhousenmich
    madhousenmich Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I know this sounds simple but really, that's all there is to it. We all have days when we don't feel like it. The proudest days are when we don't feel like it and do it anyway. Get dressed like you will, start moving and you will complete your goal. Not doing it got you to where are now. Change now!
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    I feel like two completely different people!! One who wants beer and pizza and netflix every night and one who wants to be a crazy yogini and eat exclusively kale lol.

why does it have to be either or? why does it have to be about punishment and lack?

find something you like to do activity wise and do it. find stuff you like to eat and eat it so that it fits in your calorie goals.

I agree. I see no reason why you can't have a diet that consists of pizza, beer, and kale! I like eating "healthy" foods, and they're always great for nutrition, but I also eat pizza and beer and whatever. I just work it into my calorie goal for the day. Maybe if you work toward a more moderate and balanced mindset when it comes to diet and exercise, you'll feel more motivated to stick with a healthier lifestyle overall. :smile:
  • tstawicki
    tstawicki Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I understand your frustration but I can also tell you that you should log the foods you eat, "every" morsel. You can be accountable that way and to the rest of us since your diary is public. It's a learning process and it takes time to get a handle on ways of eating for life without denying yourself everything. Sometimes reading a new diet like the Dash diet, it is a healthy way to eat and follow some guidelines. Now that the holidays are here, we are in the "eating" season so if you commit to at least logging, you will be getting back control so you can coast through them better!
  • banjopaige
    Options

also you dont have to be motivated, you just have to be committed. those arent the same things

I've never considered eating healthy and exercising as "punishment and lack", it's more of a thing that I want to strive towards, a goal. I know how good I feel when I succeed and I want to find out why feeling strong, vibrant and confident is less important than feeling pleasure (with a side of guilt and shame) in the moment for me. I want to explore ways that I can remember what's important in the long run. I want to identify what's keeping me back and destroy it.

I like the way you put it - motivation and commitment are not the same thing. That really struck a chord with me. I am hardly ever motivated to change even though I know I need to, so maybe if I view it as a commitment to myself things will change. Thanks for the advice.
  • Jagreene62
    Jagreene62 Posts: 4,782 Member
    Options
    In your bio it says that you are a "craftswoman". If that means you like to do crafts, have you ever thought of making a visual board (I think that's what they call it)? It's a board (anything from one 8x10 piece of paper to a poster board in size) that you have placed photos and/or quotes to remind you of your goals. Sort of a "visual" for you to see EVERYDAY!! A reminder of WHY you are doing this!! Post it someplace that you will see it everyday, maybe even a couple of places (i.e. bathroom mirror, refrigerator door, cabinet door (with all the foods that shouldn't be in the house, LOL!!).

Just a suggestion!! :flowerforyou:
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    What works for me is logging, thinking about protein, and ensuring I have maximum calories to lose and make it work.