Cycling

Options
It shocked me that I couldn't really find much on cycling here since I found so much for running when I was looking for that.

Does anyone here cycle? I'm training for the Tour de Cure in Orlando on March 6th. I want to be able to do the 101 mile route, but I will also be happy doing the 77 mile route too.

I need help training. I went 8 miles in an hour this morning and felt totally fine. I could've doubled it if I wanted to but I didn't have time. I haven't cycled in over a year so I thought that was pretty awesome for the first day back. I would love some friends on here that cycle as well (preferably outside on a real bike as opposed to on a stationary bike, but I won't say no to anyone) to help me stay motivated.

Feel free to reply or friend me! :)

Replies

• Madre2
    Madre2 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    It shocked me that I couldn't really find much on cycling here since I found so much for running when I was looking for that.

Does anyone here cycle? I'm training for the Tour de Cure in Orlando on March 6th. I want to be able to do the 101 mile route, but I will also be happy doing the 77 mile route too.

I need help training. I went 8 miles in an hour this morning and felt totally fine. I could've doubled it if I wanted to but I didn't have time. I haven't cycled in over a year so I thought that was pretty awesome for the first day back. I would love some friends on here that cycle as well (preferably outside on a real bike as opposed to on a stationary bike, but I won't say no to anyone) to help me stay motivated.

Hi June,
    I cycle, and have for years. It's admirable that you are taking on a century ride in March. I've never attempted one, but would love to soon. I would highly recommend that you cross train with another sport to make your cycling even stronger. Swimming and/or weight training for core and lower-body strength are good, too.
    Good luck!
  • junedunebug
    Options

Hi June,
    I cycle, and have for years. It's admirable that you are taking on a century ride in March. I've never attempted one, but would love to soon. I would highly recommend that you cross train with another sport to make your cycling even stronger. Swimming and/or weight training for core and lower-body strength are good, too.
    Good luck!

I am walking, jogging, and doing yoga & zumba. I'm slowly adding in more and more but I don't want to overload my system. My dad did the 77 mile route two years ago and I think that's amazing. Diabetes runs in my family so I have more motivation to do the Tour de Cure than just being able to do it. I want to help find a cure. :)
  • VandyRoth
    VandyRoth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    HI June,
    What a great goal! I am in my 50's and did the Aids Ride in California in my late 40's, I have done seveeral 100 mile rides. I trained every weekend and I did spin classes. I know you may not want to hear that, but, honestly it helped me sooooooooo much. Good Luck with your ride you can do this, you already love riding it would really be great if you could find someone to train with. check the website for the ride.
  • junedunebug
    Options
    HI June,
    What a great goal! I am in my 50's and did the Aids Ride in California in my late 40's, I have done seveeral 100 mile rides. I trained every weekend and I did spin classes. I know you may not want to hear that, but, honestly it helped me sooooooooo much. Good Luck with your ride you can do this, you already love riding it would really be great if you could find someone to train with. check the website for the ride.

I have done a few spin classes, but I don't understand why they are done in the dark... that's the only thing that bothers me about that. I plan on training a few days a week since I have an open morning schedule and plenty of paths around my house. Thanks! :)
  • rickgetfit
    rickgetfit Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Look at the "MFP Cycling Club - part 3" thread for biking discussion.

I've been wanting to start a spin class. Didn't know they were in the dark. Odd.
  • junedunebug
    Options
    Look at the "MFP Cycling Club - part 3" thread for biking discussion.

I've been wanting to start a spin class. Didn't know they were in the dark. Odd.

At least at my gym they are. The wall is splattered with glow in the dark paint so it's not completely pitch black and there are black lights so it's kind of fun, but I don't know it's still kind of weird. Haha