Really Sore: Running Fever!

Options
So I've been running a lot lately and my knees, shins, feet, and legs are super sore..what can I do about the pain, I've tried soaking in warm water and massaging the area.. help!

Replies

• oosterman
    oosterman Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    this is going to sound crazy.. but run more. as long as you haven't truly injured yourself. the soreness you are experiencing is due to your muscles not being used in that way for a while. If you keep it up regularly it will go away. also working sore muscles can have an analgesic effect.. if that doesn't work then try icey hot and advil ;-) this phase is usually 2 weeks or so in my experience..

-- when i say run more i mean don't stop doing it.. not add distance..
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted properly for shoes? Are stretching after every run? Are you increasing your distance only by 10% each week?
  • NuttyforHealth
    Options
    Some gyms have foam rollers (you can buy them at Marshalls too), but your lay across it and roll out your legs... it works wonders! If you don't have this I have used hairspray cans and rolling pins (for pizza dough), just wash it ;) You can look up ways to do this online too! :) Good luck and great job staying committed.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Have you been fitted properly for shoes? Are stretching after every run? Are you increasing your distance only by 10% each week?

This. Its hard to know without more info. If you've suddenly increased your mileage or your pace a lot, you will just be sore for a while. Try backing off or running slower.

The wrong shoes will cause all those problems, so will the wrong gait. It could be a number of things, so we'll need a bit more info.
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I second the shoes they need to be replaced at the very least once a year. ( If you run more maybe every 6 months.) I do yoga for athletes and foam roller. Also make sure you do a good warm up cool down and stretch :)
  • jecalloway91
    Options

Um idk if I've been fitted properly for shoes. A couple weeks ago I was in foot locker and the associate measured my foot for shoes (does that count?) Also, I did not know I should stretch after a run.. I thought it was only before. .lastly I run as far as my body will allow.. but the distance I can run has increased

My current shoes I've had for about 6yrs with minimum wear.. I probably can count on my hands and toes the amount of times I wore them
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

Um idk if I've been fitted properly for shoes. A couple weeks ago I was in foot locker and the associate measured my foot for shoes (does that count?) Also, I did not know I should stretch after a run.. I thought it was only before. .lastly I run as far as my body will allow.. but the distance I can run has increased

My current shoes I've had for about 6yrs with minimum wear.. I probably can count on my hands and toes the amount of times I wore them

You need to have shoes fitted at a proper running store, including a gait analysis.

You should stretch AFTER running, not before.

If you increase your distance per week more than 10%, you are risking injury.

Also - never EVER run on concrete. Always asphalt or trails.
  • jerbsod
    Options
    Running sucks period..
    its high impact, I am curious how many injuries it create on people taking this as an exercise when they are overweight. The pressure on the joints each stride must be horrendous in particular running on bitumen.
    Not saying you should change what you doing in anyway but take it easy, I think the progression curve is very high if you want to avoid injuries.
    maybe run less OFTEN and combine with another type of exercise like indoor rowing or cycling? both are high cardio and low impact.
    When you reach your goal weight then running might be a good way of entering maintenance mode the impact will be far less and cardio wise you will be able to run longer with far less pain than what you are you experiencing now.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

ooh, yeah, that'll do it. My feet hurt just reading that. Go to a running store, not a big chain, and get your gait analyzed.

Stretching should be done on warm muscles, or else you risk injury. Dynamic stretching is actually a good way to warm up. For those just getting into running, its recommended to not increase your mileage by more than 10% each week.

I think getting the right shoes will help a lot. After that, just make sure to go slow. You should be able to carry on a conversation while on your normal runs.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I second getting your gait checked at a specialized running store. In my area, we have Fleet Feet and Heart and Sole, both which do a free treadmill test to measure your gait and stride and measure your feet. Then you will know which shoes work for you.

I have been running on and off since I was a young adult (I'm 52) and I felt a lot of soreness and strain at the times I have been much heavier. However, now that I've lost the 32 pounds, I enjoy my running so much more because there is less strain on my joints and legs.

I suggest to run slow, increase distance minimally, and warm up before and stretch after your run. In fact, I walk for about five minutes after my run.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

Also - never EVER run on concrete. Always asphalt or trails.

Never run on concrete, you are kidding right. Where do you think people who live in cities run, on the sidewalks made of concrete.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options

You actually should change out your shoes every 6 months, sooner depending on your miles. You should go to a running store , they will have you get on a treadmill and analyze your gait and fit you for proper shoes based on how you run. This will help minimize injury. Stretching is sooooo important. i do dynamic stretching before, and really stretch it out after. A foam roller will be your best friend. I paid 20 bucks for mine. I'm not sure if you are using any running apps, but they would be great in gauging your progress, so you will know how much you are increasing and whether you are overtraining.