Gastric Bypass

Options
Almost a year ago today I weighed 257lbs and only being 5"2" tall I was quite heavy. So do to health issue and potential health issues my doctor highly suggested I get gastic bybass. (kidney, liver, Pre-diabetic, sleep apnea, and asthma).
Today I can say I am down to 170lbs. (164lbs is my goal). My kidney, liver, diabetitis and sleep apnea are all gone. I have never been more proud of myself.
Of course this involved heavily changing my diet and it is truly the best thing I have ever done. I can honestly say I couldn't tell you when I felt this good.

:-)

Replies

• liloldDee
    liloldDee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well done, you've done great, I hope you reach your goal soon.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm happy that you made the right choice and have worked hard to reach your goals!
  • AmyZ46
    AmyZ46 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you !!
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Well Done, that is a very significant achievement!
    Deciding to have surgery is difficult in itself and very tough emotionally, you should be very proud of yourself.
    Glad all the health issues are under control!
  • nettie219
    nettie219 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    That is great so happy for you!!!! I weigh a lot more than you and have sleep apnea, high B/P I so hope to get off the medication once I get my weight off. My goal is 175 have 103 lbs. to lose. So depressing really it takes so long it seems. I am going to keep at it though work hard and eat healthy. I hired a personal trainer so I am ready to do this for myself. Thanks for sharing!!!!
  • smandel123
    Options
    Congrats!!!!! You can do it man. Stay focused....
  • AllOnMeWOL
    AllOnMeWOL Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good job!!! topping over 400 pounds I too have pondered the thought of gastric bypass. But I feel like it's the easy way out. So many people lose weight the right way. eating healthy and exercising. Luckily for me the health issues haven't appeared yet, but I hope to dodge them and join you in your success!! Thanks for the inspiration.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    wwwooowww thats amazing. congrast!!
  • Schmidtdoggy
    Options
    If you have thought about Gastric bypass I would truly look into it if your struggles continue. It is almost a 2yr process from start to finish. I thought in the start that it was the easy way out. But trust me the changes you have to make before and after surgery...there is nothing simple about it. It is truly the same struggle except you have no choice in how much food you put into your body as it doesn't allow it and the consequences can be nasty when you try as well there is certain things you may have to give up for life. It is different for everyone. Sometimes Steak, alcohol, milk, pop are all things you may have to give up. But in the end it was the best decision for me and there is no looking back :-)
  • VanillaBeanSeed
    VanillaBeanSeed Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I am completely amazed by gastric bypass surgery!

Ive been watching shows on it for the last few weeks.

Its amazing what they can do!

How many calories are you now able to consume a day with the gasstric bypass?
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on a great year!
  • chancepatrick
    Options
    I had gastric bypass in 2006, lost around 115 lbs. Now, I am starting to go back up in my weight. The problem is, and has been, that my surgery seems to have almost reversed itself. I can only eat sweets and junk food. I get horribly ill on normal food, like chicken and vegetables, even pureed. Because of this, I went into bulimia to control the lost weight. When I ate junk food and sweets (exclusively drank regular coke from 2006 until yesterday), I would force myself to vomit so that I would avoid gaining the extra weight back. I never had dumping syndrome, but developed horrible back pain and chest pain when eating the normal foods. It was a very strange thing and has made losing weight difficult. I have gained 30 lbs back, not really much since 2006, but worry about gaining the rest back. Any ideas on what/how to eat healthy with the gastric bypass? I need to correct a fatty liver (developed after the gastric bypass) as well as deal with depression, so anything that would help heal those would be great. :flowerforyou:
  • mamabbrie45
    Options
    :smile: Hi all my name is Brie & I had Gastric Bypass July 2003 & understand about getting away from the tools that I began with on my journey. I had gotten down to a very good size for me even though it wasn't "textbook" size. I am looking for a Fantastic New Year to get healthy 1st, get moving & get back on track!! So I would be glad if we could begin our journey together :smile:
  • margeez4
    margeez4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Does everyone on here have the Withings Pulse? Can we alter the goals for Carbs, fat, and protein? BTW my bypass was in oct 2002
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!